Author Topic: Material presets  (Read 3547 times)

2018-11-17, 22:49:31

raffe3003

• Active Users
    • View Profile
I think that would be great to have some presets for Materials (Surfaces) which simplify settings to minimum.
I use such for Maxwell Render inside ARCHICAD a lot as it is a very fast way for preparing materials.

2018-11-19, 08:20:08
Reply #1

hpenbeoglu

• Active Users
    • View Profile
+2 :)

2018-11-19, 09:33:35
Reply #2

usa

• Users
    • View Profile
+1

Francesco

2018-11-19, 13:12:39
Reply #3

Jan Špaček

• Former Corona Team Member
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
Thank you for your suggestion, this is something we considered, but at the moment we are more likely to add the Corona material library instead of material presets. Would that be enough for your use?

2018-11-19, 18:56:39
Reply #4

spr0ckets

• Active Users
    • View Profile
If I may chime in, IMHO a Material Library such as the one you have in 3ds Max would be a great stand-in or placeholder for a full-blown material editor or wizard (which, I imagine would require quite a bit more coding), just as a start.

Something that allows people to select from the base materials you have in the library and then swap out texture maps, for example, in places that necessitate it.

If I remember correctly, the Maxwell folks went through quite a few iterations and versions of their plugin before they ended up with the material wizard, so it's not something that I would have expected right off the bat.

But having a Material library with base sample materials would be a great start to working with and/or creating high-quality Corona materials, so this is definitely a worthwhile idea.

I use the 3ds Max Corona material library all the time now, and just adjust where necessary and I would predict that many ArchiCAD users would end up doing the same with a similar library in ArchiCAD.

2018-11-19, 19:11:50
Reply #5

raffe3003

• Active Users
    • View Profile
The main idea of presets is to simplify the process of creating them. It is one of the most useful function when using Maxwell Render inside ARCHICAD.
When preset is chosen, only the most important options are available, for example: Metal -> Aluminium/Chromium/Cobalt etc -> Roughness value. Easy to understand even for a complete novice, the definition is the same as for complex settings (it is possible to edit it).
Completely another topics for me are:
- import material definitions (from C4D, Max),
- use extended library.

2018-11-20, 08:25:05
Reply #6

hpenbeoglu

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Thank you for your suggestion, this is something we considered, but at the moment we are more likely to add the Corona material library instead of material presets. Would that be enough for your use?

By the way you can already duplicate materials already setted in surfaces. Copying is easier to start, so if you have more default corona materials (library) as you said it might be a seconday wish for me.