Author Topic: Chaos Scatter Edge Trimming Playground!  (Read 23438 times)

2022-10-03, 20:55:31
Reply #30

aaouviz

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • Another Angle 3D
Not sure if anyone else is experiencing such an issue:

If I try to scatter a CoronaProxy object the edge trimming fails unless I have the base proxy object display set to full mesh.
Nicolas Pratt
Another Angle 3D
https://www.instagram.com/anotherangle3d/

2022-10-03, 22:20:21
Reply #31

Ondra

• Administrator
  • Active Users
  • Turning coffee to features since 2009
    • View Profile
yes, we want to have the trimming feature implemented internally with just a checkbox in the future. It requires some internal changes first though. When done, it will work the same also for ForestPack
Rendering is magic.How to get minidumps for crashed/frozen 3ds Max | Sorry for short replies, brief responses = more time to develop Corona ;)

2022-10-03, 23:48:15
Reply #32

Stefan-L

• Active Users
    • View Profile
good news Ondra, thanks!

2022-10-04, 01:51:22
Reply #33

Basshunter

• Active Users
    • View Profile
yes, we want to have the trimming feature implemented internally with just a checkbox in the future. It requires some internal changes first though. When done, it will work the same also for ForestPack

That would be great!

2022-10-04, 07:58:19
Reply #34

Frood

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • Rakete GmbH
yes, we want to have the trimming feature implemented internally with just a checkbox in the future.

Perfect, thanks!

Good Luck

Never underestimate the power of a well placed level one spell.

2022-10-10, 15:27:55
Reply #35

romullus

• Global Moderator
  • Active Users
  • Let's move this topic, shall we?
    • View Profile
    • My Models
Who knew that playing with edge trimming is so addictive :]
I'm not Corona Team member. Everything i say, is my personal opinion only.
My Models | My Videos | My Pictures

2022-10-18, 03:06:50
Reply #36

Afterglow

• Active Users
    • View Profile
"You need to plug your Edge Trimming map into the opacity slot of the material of the object that you are scattering"  What's the process if the material already has an opacity map?

2022-10-18, 08:34:51
Reply #37

Nejc Kilar

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
    • My personal website
"You need to plug your Edge Trimming map into the opacity slot of the material of the object that you are scattering"  What's the process if the material already has an opacity map?

In that case you still plug the Edge Trimming map into the opacity slot of the material of the object that you are scattering but then you also plug the opacity map you are using into the Edge Trimming map itself. :)
Nejc Kilar | chaos-corona.com
Educational Content Creator | contact us

2022-10-18, 10:48:02
Reply #38

maru

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
  • Marcin
    • View Profile
We have a new shiny guide on edge trimming [here].
Marcin Miodek | chaos-corona.com
3D Support Team Lead - Corona | contact us

2022-10-25, 13:22:45
Reply #39

Frood

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • Rakete GmbH
And here is a macroscript to quickly toggle Edge Trimming on/of in materials:

https://forum.corona-renderer.com/index.php?topic=38229.msg205049#msg205049

The minimum we need is an on/off toggle in the ChaosScatterEdgeTimming map to be able to switch edge trimming functionality by a one-liner script without changing material nodes for the moment and a utility to add ChaosScatterEdgeTrimming to materials.

This meets those mentioned requirements atm. Toggling is amazingly quite fast when IR is running.

Good Luck

Never underestimate the power of a well placed level one spell.

2023-02-22, 13:41:54
Reply #40

Tamyl

• Active Users
    • View Profile
I think simple "trim edges" checkbox in the scatter object, would make more sense - Corona could add edge trimming texmap to the opacity slot internally at render time for user convenience.

Exactly!!! It's a very bad idea to trim edges with such opacity maps. I have like ~10 objects inside my ChaosScatter and a few of them have MultiMaterials with 6-7 mat... You can imagine how painful it is to plug this map to every single material of these objects. Please, do it with checkbox inside the CoronaScatter!

2023-02-22, 14:31:52
Reply #41

leo3d

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • Leo3D
in c4d you can do it in multi selection of shader, it takes 2s but indeed an option in the scatter would be better, with the choice in the list to select all or check what you want

2023-02-25, 14:59:55
Reply #42

mvpetropolis

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Hello, well, I have a small doubt about using chaos scatter edge trimming texmap, I realized that in some objects even inserting the map in apacy it doesn't work right causing the grass to exceed the determined limit, I'm loading two examples with different objects, one she worked perfectly and the other one didn't, do you know what could be happening?

2023-02-25, 20:20:11
Reply #43

romullus

• Global Moderator
  • Active Users
  • Let's move this topic, shall we?
    • View Profile
    • My Models
Edge trimming won't work on proxies unless their display mode is set to full mesh. On the other hand it makes very little sense to have such a small object as clump of grass converted to proxy. I suggest to convert it back to mesh and avoid any potential problems related to proxies.
I'm not Corona Team member. Everything i say, is my personal opinion only.
My Models | My Videos | My Pictures

2023-02-26, 02:14:51
Reply #44

mvpetropolis

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Edge trimming won't work on proxies unless their display mode is set to full mesh. On the other hand it makes very little sense to have such a small object as clump of grass converted to proxy. I suggest to convert it back to mesh and avoid any potential problems related to proxies.

Thank you very much for your feedback, it's an optimization craze I end up converting everything into a proxy, but really both examples are of a proxy, the difference is that one worked and the other didn't, that's why I wanted to report the problem.