Author Topic: New contrast function  (Read 18211 times)

2013-08-28, 00:10:08

Ondra

• Administrator
  • Active Users
  • Turning coffee to features since 2009
    • View Profile
Rendering is magic.How to get minidumps for crashed/frozen 3ds Max | Sorry for short replies, brief responses = more time to develop Corona ;)

2013-08-28, 02:43:49
Reply #1

Chakib

• Active Users
  • Corona Omnomnomer !
    • View Profile

2013-08-28, 09:16:59
Reply #2

Polymax

• Active Users
  • CG Generalist
    • View Profile
    • maxkagirov.com
Cool! Thanx.
Corona - the best rendering solution!

2013-08-28, 10:01:21
Reply #3

maru

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
  • Marcin
    • View Profile
Sexy! Now hide the gamma spinner. ;)
Marcin Miodek | chaos-corona.com
3D Support Team Lead - Corona | contact us

2013-08-28, 11:36:49
Reply #4

vkiuru

• Active Users
    • View Profile
That looks nice indeed.

Sexy! Now hide the gamma spinner. ;)

With all due respect I wish this conversation was over by now. You are confusing imitating photography (therefore not playing with gamma) with creating images, the latter of which sounds more appealing and what you are implying is tools should be restricted because your taste differs from mine. Choose not to play with gamma and be happy, don't try to make the decision for the rest of us.

2013-08-28, 13:54:01
Reply #5

michaltimko

• Active Users
  • Coronaut (c)
    • View Profile
Finally!

vkiuru : well said :)
Coronaut!(c)2011

Supporting Corona in commercial projects since pre-alpha

2013-08-28, 14:00:25
Reply #6

Ludvik Koutny

• VIP
  • Active Users
  • Just another user
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
I still can not believe people are so close-minded. Gamma is NOT a means of artistic control. It is not like it is another tool that can be used. It is something that should be hard coded in most of the modern applications. With gamma you do not change just what the output is, you chose to display very different color range where for example sampler does not resolve noise. You can end up with a lot more noisy renders, or with totally wrong normal/opacity maps if you open them with wrong gamma. Or having post processed motion blur/DoF not working correctly. Gamma changes a lot more than just perceived colors.

For example, in Vray, if you have wrong LWF set up, you might end up with significantly longer rendertimes as adaptive sampler resolves noise at levels very different to those you perceive through wrong gamma. Use whatever works rule does not apply to gamma, especially now, when correctly working contrast function is implemented.

If you, even after this, decide to play with gamma, then fine. Just please do not mention it here as if it was just another feasible workflow, because it can confuse a lot of new users.
« Last Edit: 2013-08-28, 14:02:38 by Rawalanche »

2013-08-28, 14:17:53
Reply #7

maru

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
  • Marcin
    • View Profile
Sorry, didn't mean to start a flame war. ;)

Could there be a separate implementation of gamma correction that only works as a post processing effect? Or maybe it would do the same as the new contrast function? Such feature might calm down some people. :)

2013-08-28, 14:22:18
Reply #8

lacilaci

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Incredible.. Why is it so hard if you so must change gamma values, to do so in post??? In corona you have so much easier not to manualy setup LWF and you still wanna do it the hard way :D LOL

2013-08-28, 17:06:59
Reply #9

Stan_But

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • https://www.behance.net/archdizs
infirst - gamma changing affects not like contrast changing or postproduction changing - you can set lights and mat like you need before press render button

in second - why so many talk about gamma? Why is bad that gamma would be simple hiden like now in debag settings or in another hiden tabs?

2013-09-06, 21:26:02
Reply #10

Juraj

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • studio website
Gamma wars :- D It's always russians/chinese (no offence, just observation) who intentionally "break" software in funny ways to achieve something that could have been achieved in much more logical way. I wonder who ever started to use gamma as way of contrast....

Anyway, the contrast tool is ok, but what would eventually be really cool, would be full curve editor. Most of the time I like boosting midtones, not highlights or shadows.
Please follow my new Instagram for latest projects, tips&tricks, short video tutorials and free models
Behance  Probably best updated portfolio of my work
lysfaere.com Please check the new stuff!

2013-09-06, 21:29:42
Reply #11

Ondra

• Administrator
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
yeah, yeah, just wait, in time I will satisfy even people with pathological fear of photoshop loading screen :D
Rendering is magic.How to get minidumps for crashed/frozen 3ds Max | Sorry for short replies, brief responses = more time to develop Corona ;)

2013-09-06, 21:41:13
Reply #12

Juraj

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • studio website
Heh,c'mon, this stuff is the only useful thing about Vray frame-buffer :- ). Let's you visuale more closely what your end result will be.
Please follow my new Instagram for latest projects, tips&tricks, short video tutorials and free models

2013-09-06, 21:44:44
Reply #13

Ondra

• Administrator
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
or maybe photoshop could be loaded in the VFB as a plugin :D

2013-09-06, 22:03:17
Reply #14

Juraj

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • studio website
or maybe photoshop could be loaded in the VFB as a plugin :D

I would pay big money for that

2013-09-07, 09:53:54
Reply #15

maru

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
  • Marcin
    • View Profile
Knowing that Photoshop is capable of some 3d effects it's starting to sound like a vfb inception.

2013-11-14, 07:45:27
Reply #16

modern_babylon

• Active Users
    • View Profile
I think the contrast control is great...but I have a question regarding the units setup. Unlike the video posted, if I were to change the units from 1 to 1.1 the contrast variance is huge (terrible and huge). Obviously I can get around this by increasing the number of decimal places ( 1 to 1.01) and the change is much more reasonable but my question is why is there such a difference between mine and the one shown in the video. has it something to do with the unit setup somehow (I work in millimeters)? Or is there another step perhaps I have missed in the initial install or setup.

Thanks in advance for any help.

2013-11-14, 08:56:10
Reply #17

Ludvik Koutny

• VIP
  • Active Users
  • Just another user
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
I think the contrast control is great...but I have a question regarding the units setup. Unlike the video posted, if I were to change the units from 1 to 1.1 the contrast variance is huge (terrible and huge). Obviously I can get around this by increasing the number of decimal places ( 1 to 1.01) and the change is much more reasonable but my question is why is there such a difference between mine and the one shown in the video. has it something to do with the unit setup somehow (I work in millimeters)? Or is there another step perhaps I have missed in the initial install or setup.

Thanks in advance for any help.

The change was made after release of Alpha V5, in one of daily builds. Alpha V5 public release still contains the old contrast function, that does not work very well. New public Alpha with improved contrast should be released soon.

2013-11-14, 23:15:35
Reply #18

modern_babylon

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Great, thank  you.

2013-11-15, 17:16:19
Reply #19

peterguthrie

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • Peter Guthrie Visualisation
Anyway, the contrast tool is ok, but what would eventually be really cool, would be full curve editor. Most of the time I like boosting midtones, not highlights or shadows.

Strongly agree with Juraj, curves would be a must for me.

PS. Hello everyone, first post here :) Just downloaded Corona yesterday and really enjoying playing with it so far!

2013-11-15, 18:38:01
Reply #20

Ludvik Koutny

• VIP
  • Active Users
  • Just another user
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio

Strongly agree with Juraj, curves would be a must for me.

PS. Hello everyone, first post here :) Just downloaded Corona yesterday and really enjoying playing with it so far!

Hi and welcome!

Contrast function is there so that people do not touch gamma. Some were using gamma to make their renders more contrasty, which was wrong. So far, it is not intended for corona to be a post processing package. I agree that curves are great for quick preview, but they will need to be implemented carefully so that it does not bloat user interface or is not painful to use (like in case of vray).

At the moment, primary workflow is simply to post process the output in external packages, like photoshop ;)
« Last Edit: 2013-11-15, 18:44:13 by Rawalanche »

2013-11-15, 19:58:37
Reply #21

Ondra

• Administrator
  • Active Users
    • View Profile

2013-12-03, 17:19:18
Reply #22

fellazb

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Hi there,

First post here on this forum, so I'd first like to thank you guys for making this render-engine. It's definitely rockin'!

To add something to this thread I'd like to point out this plugin I found recently and it contains a lot of features requested here. Perhaps it's something to look into. Unfortunately it doesn't work interactively with Corona (only after stopping the render), but shouldn't be that hard to implement I guess.

http://www.monotoneminimal.com/vfb

Happy rendering everyone, Corona makes it really addictive.

2013-12-07, 14:13:18
Reply #23

higgledyhiggles

• Active Users
    • View Profile
So should gamma be on or off in max ? I`ve noticed in v5 contrast is waaay more sensitive in some scenes than the video, even approaching 1.5 can make blacks go nuts. 40 would be almost infinite. What wrong button have I pressed ?

2013-12-07, 15:20:25
Reply #24

Ondra

• Administrator
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
I`ve noticed in v5 contrast is waaay more sensitive in some scenes than the video

There is a reason the video is called NEW contrast function.... ;)

2013-12-08, 13:17:29
Reply #25

Rotem

• Active Users
    • View Profile
To add something to this thread I'd like to point out this plugin I found recently and it contains a lot of features requested here. Perhaps it's something to look into. Unfortunately it doesn't work interactively with Corona (only after stopping the render), but shouldn't be that hard to implement I guess.
http://www.monotoneminimal.com/vfb

I'm the developer of that plugin. Unfortunately it doesn't work with Activeshade implementations like Corona interactive mode or VrayRT, but I'll try to improve upon that in future versions. It does however work interactively with Corona when used as a regular production renderer, please contact me if it doesn't work for you (I don't want to hijack this thread).
« Last Edit: 2013-12-08, 13:21:24 by Rotem »

2013-12-09, 14:50:04
Reply #26

higgledyhiggles

• Active Users
    • View Profile
There is a reason the video is called NEW contrast function.... ;)
[/quote]

Thought this was for v6. Didn`t even check. What a Maroon. Thanks.