Author Topic: Corona Material/Lights Converter (legacy)  (Read 1095798 times)

2014-11-02, 22:50:24
Reply #345

racoonart

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • racoon-artworks
Again, absolutely no maps were replaced with the selection based methods. So if there are still normal maps after conversion it is either a bug (it should be replacing all normal map types since v0.14, and even disabling them before) or you have used the selection based conversion methods. If it's a bug, please report it.

How long is "a bit longer than it probably should" ?

Any sufficiently advanced bug is indistinguishable from a feature.

2014-11-03, 04:36:03
Reply #346

Gilgamesh

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Hi,

I am using it on a project with ghosttown script to create a big city. I could not create the huge city at once so i had devide it into parcels which caused a mess in material editor. It takes 20-30 minutes for it to respond when you click the standart material button. I tried to clean multimaterial which took more than 2 hours and nothing has changed. All I can do is creating dummy geometries with materials applied to it and importing it to the scene and grab the material. Also it is quite handy when you just import one object to a big scene, instead of checking all materials each time it just converts the selected one in less than a second. Is it possible that  I can somehow switch that option on again? Did you totally removed it?

Best Regards

Halil

2014-11-03, 11:32:07
Reply #347

racoonart

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • racoon-artworks
The first issue sounds a lot like you're using the new shitty material/map browser from slate. It is horribly slow.. when I tested it with 40k instances sharing 1(!) single material it took ~25 minutes to open. Old material browser opens instantly. Follow the instructions here in the middle to switch back to the old browser http://www.peterguthrie.net/blog/2013/01/3dsmax-annoyances-no-1
This may have changed with 2015, I didn't test it afterwards (old one is better organized anyways imho).
The converter should be very fast non the less, but I didn't test that either.

I still don't understand why you would want to use those modes.. they don't do complete conversions. You'd still have to convert ALL maps by hand (which doesn't make any sense to me).

2014-11-03, 21:30:47
Reply #348

steyin

• Active Users
  • BALLS
    • View Profile
    • Instagram Page
Again, absolutely no maps were replaced with the selection based methods. So if there are still normal maps after conversion it is either a bug (it should be replacing all normal map types since v0.14, and even disabling them before) or you have used the selection based conversion methods. If it's a bug, please report it.

How long is "a bit longer than it probably should" ?

What do you mean DC? Normally I would select one mat editor slot and convert, and everything would translate fine except for a "normal bump" map within the material. Sometimes that crashed MAX, sometimes it didn't. I would then go in and replace the map with the CoronaNormalTex. As for the speed of converting, it depended on the material. Though you are probably right that it was due to the Slate editor's mat browser.

Instead of converting back to the old one (as I actually kind of like the new version) I just disable icon previews and have everything listed as text. Its slow because it has to render every icon visible within an open field. Hell I have some old project files I can't even get to change the field to text only as just opening the mat editor will crash MAX. Perhaps I should go back to the old version....

2014-11-03, 21:35:11
Reply #349

racoonart

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • racoon-artworks
As I said, no map is converted using the 2 selection modes, no VrayDirt, no Normal_Bump, no VRayNormalMap, no VRayEdgesTex, no VrayColor, no VraySky, no VrayCompTex, etc etc... just the material "object" itself.

2014-11-04, 19:29:23
Reply #350

bouhmidage

• Active Users
  • Open for any architectural freelance work
    • View Profile
    • Kam studio
material converter 0.22 does not convert forest pack and laubwerk materals correctly , it doesn't aplly alpha map , so leaves are rendered as colored surface :( help please

Can you send me an original material before conversion? Just a simple scene, no objects but the necessary maps would be sufficient.
here is the scene , an empty scene

2014-11-04, 20:00:35
Reply #351

racoonart

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • racoon-artworks
Thanks for the scene! Unfortunately that's nothing related to the converter, so I cannot fix it.
It seems that Corona does not recognize these alpha settings in the opacity channel. You should post that as a bug (with one of the leaf materials) for Ondra to have a look.

2014-11-05, 18:22:46
Reply #352

bouhmidage

• Active Users
  • Open for any architectural freelance work
    • View Profile
    • Kam studio
Thanks for the scene! Unfortunately that's nothing related to the converter, so I cannot fix it.
It seems that Corona does not recognize these alpha settings in the opacity channel. You should post that as a bug (with one of the leaf materials) for Ondra to have a look.
Thank you !! no problem ;) i posted it here , so we hope there is a solution for that bug
https://forum.corona-renderer.com/index.php/topic,5788.0.html

2014-11-06, 15:19:48
Reply #353

StefanL

• Users
    • View Profile
First things first: Thanks for this marvellous script :)

When working with iRay you usually set the material editor to mental ray while the production renderer is set to iRay of course.
When converting with switch renderer to corona ticked, the production renderer is switched, but not the material editor renderer, which then goes frenzy throwing errors.

I'm not the godfather of scripting by any means but inserting
if chkSwitchRen.checked then renderers.medit = CoronaRenderer()
after line 1541 in v0.22 did the job for me...

--
Stefan

2014-11-07, 12:26:45
Reply #354

racoonart

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • racoon-artworks
Thanks for pointing that out! I always have renderer and medit renderer locked, so that never occured to me.
I'll fix it in the next version :)

2014-11-07, 23:03:18
Reply #355

michael22

• Users
    • View Profile
Hi I find a "bug," in converting Vray to corona Materials, if you try to convert a object from model+model Vol1 _19 the black  texture do not apear
I do not know what is doing this

2014-11-08, 10:55:07
Reply #356

racoonart

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • racoon-artworks
Sorry but I've no idea what object or object collection you are talking about =/
Without any information what exactly gets lost or a provided material I can use to debug, I can't do anything about it.

2014-11-12, 20:33:31
Reply #357

borisquezadaa

• Active Users
    • View Profile
It would be a possibility to add lets say a custom object color to objects that has a "conflictive (autodesk) materials" as warned in the converter so it become easy to spot those elements and further fine tune it?
What i do with Corona My Corona post of random stuff rendering
WARNING: English.dll still loading...

2014-11-13, 13:15:28
Reply #358

racoonart

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • racoon-artworks
Well, I always assumed that those weird Autodesk materials were only present with imported (autocad?) scenes anyways, so I thought it would be the whole scene that was made with Autodesk materials. I really have no idea where and how those materials are used and come from - it's not even so easy to create them in max directly as I noticed ;)
Marking may be possible but I don't know what would be a good way to do that, I don't like changing wirecolors, that's something people tend to use for their own sorting and marking purposes and I would hate if a script did that in my scene.

2014-11-13, 15:29:31
Reply #359

borisquezadaa

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Thas why i suggest making them a "selection set" just to to avoid the wirecolor changing. I ussually link some Revit files from time to time and its a pain to check by hand.
What i do with Corona My Corona post of random stuff rendering
WARNING: English.dll still loading...