Author Topic: Corona Material/Lights Converter (legacy)  (Read 1088360 times)

2017-08-20, 19:32:47
Reply #1050

gd3design

• Users
    • View Profile
Hello,
  I've just started messing with Corona using the trial demo....and very impressed so far.  Your scene converter did an awesome job converting my vray scene....almost to where I could just hit the render button.   Seems like the biggest problem was with VrayDirt maps and bitmaps.  Unknown properties - 'uvwangle' in bitmaps, and 'invert' in VrayDirt maps.  Vray light portals didn't translate well either...but that wasn't too big of a deal to just make new rec lights since this was a small scene, but for a larger project it would be great if they'd convert automatically.  Fixing all the AOmaps in all shaders is a pretty time consuming job in even a small scene, tho.  Error report is attached.  Please let me know if you have any advice on how I can get a better conversion.  Thanks so much!

2017-08-20, 19:37:44
Reply #1051

racoonart

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • racoon-artworks
Your converter version is really old. Current version should be 1.35 for Corona 1.6 (or 1.36 for daily builds). Link can be found in the very first post. The issues you describe here should be fixed :) Well.. apart from Vray light portals maybe, what's wrong with the conversion there?
Any sufficiently advanced bug is indistinguishable from a feature.

2017-08-20, 19:53:56
Reply #1052

gd3design

• Users
    • View Profile
Sorry, I should have figured it would be something simple like that....  I just checked in '...Scripts/CoronaRender/' folder and 'coronaConverter_v1.36.ms' was already in there...but the 1.27 version was running for some reason.  I'll go ahead and give the original scene a shot with the latest converter and see if that takes care of the portal problems too.  It seemed pretty strange...like it deleted 4 of the six vray plane lights, and the 2 remaining where converted to spheres or spots...(new to corona..they were round, tho) :)

Thanks for you help and a priceless script!

2017-08-20, 20:25:39
Reply #1053

racoonart

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • racoon-artworks
like it deleted 4 of the six vray plane lights, and the 2 remaining where converted to spheres or spots...(new to corona..they were round, tho) :)
Well, portals in corona are a bit different than in Vray. Those 4 lights are probably converted to planes with a corona portal material applied to it. I'd guess the remaining two lights were not set to portal mode, and just got converted to corona lights... however it's strange that those were converted to spheres then...

2017-08-22, 09:04:24
Reply #1054

mukultheleo

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Hello guys please help me out. my corona convertor is not working. window appears but when i hit the button then nothing happen.

2017-09-20, 01:14:38
Reply #1055

cecofuli

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • www.francescolegrenzi.com
(*) Is it possible to convert VRayDome? It seems not possible.

(*) VRayHDRI Overall Mult isn't recognized well by the Converter. I mean, if I put VRayHDRI in the Environment, with and HDRI as a light source and I change the Overall Mutl=3, when I convert the scene, I have the VRayHDRI conveted in a Bitmpap with Output amount=3, but the light isn't enough. The other light is ok. (look at the attachment pictures)
If I want to have the same result, I need to change Bitmap Output amount=21

(*) If I have converted already a VRayHDRI into Bitmap with the converter, but I want to run again the script (with convert vrayHDRI option on), every time I click the STAT CONVERSION button, the Output Amount grow up!!! It's weird =)

EDIT: I understood the problem about Bitmap Output amount. When the script try to convert the VRayHDRI in Bitmap, the HDRI was loaded with White balance= 3.1 (maybe because my old settings). If I change manually the HDRI white balance to 0, everything is ok,

Thank you.
« Last Edit: 2017-09-20, 16:38:52 by cecofuli »

2017-09-22, 04:50:14
Reply #1056

mahmoudkeshta

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Hi,
If possible could you add a converter from physical cam to the new corona cam ?

Thanks

2017-09-22, 09:21:05
Reply #1057

racoonart

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • racoon-artworks
(*) Is it possible to convert VRayDome? It seems not possible.
I can just put the dome map into the environment slot, if that's what you're after =)

(*) VRayHDRI Overall Mult isn't recognized well by the Converter. I mean, if I put VRayHDRI in the Environment, with and HDRI as a light source and I change the Overall Mutl=3, when I convert the scene, I have the VRayHDRI conveted in a Bitmpap with Output amount=3, but the light isn't enough. The other light is ok. (look at the attachment pictures)
If I want to have the same result, I need to change Bitmap Output amount=21

EDIT: I understood the problem about Bitmap Output amount. When the script try to convert the VRayHDRI in Bitmap, the HDRI was loaded with White balance= 3.1 (maybe because my old settings). If I change manually the HDRI white balance to 0, everything is ok,
That sounds pretty odd. White balance affecting brightness? Let me know if you encounter this behavior again.

(*) If I have converted already a VRayHDRI into Bitmap with the converter, but I want to run again the script (with convert vrayHDRI option on), every time I click the STAT CONVERSION button, the Output Amount grow up!!! It's weird =)
The converter should ignore bitmaps completely, not matter where it came from (a vrayHdri in your case). Can you save me a max file containing the specific bitmap?

If possible could you add a converter from physical cam to the new corona cam ?
Yes, it's on the list. It will rather be a separate script however.

2017-09-22, 17:47:09
Reply #1058

racoonart

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • racoon-artworks
Ok guys, I need a bit of feedback.
I did the first version of VraySkinMtl and VrayFastSSS2 conversions. Both are rather ... "experimental".. to put it this way. Since the shaders are really different I cannot guarantee a matching result - or a close one. It depends on what features the original shader uses. Some conversions are pretty close, others are not. Especially VraySkinMtl conversions tend to differ due to the fact that CoronaSkinMtl needs an Overall Color, which does not exist in the VraySkinMtl. If you have any feedback, ideas, test cases I can use... please let me know :)

P.S.: Currently, the radius of the Corona SSS seems to be off (in my scenes). If you multiply the radius by 2.54 it's way closer. It may be a mismatch of system units - I use centimeters instead of inches. Please let me know if you notice the same.

FOLLOWING SCRIPT IS ONLY WORKING WITH DAILY BUILDS!
Get it here: http://www.racoon-artworks.de/CoronaConverter/CoronaConverter.html

changelog:
v1.37 - [2017/09/22]
  • added first version of VraySkinMtl and VrayFastSSS2 conversions

The VrayALSurfaceMtl is also on the Todo list and should go rather smootly due to it's similarity to the CoronaSkinMtl. It's just a lot of values and map slots to hook up.

I also had a look at conversion of VrayMultiSubTex to CoronaMultiMap but ran into an issue. Vray has configurable IDs, Corona has not. So if you use ID 100 in Vray, you will create a corona map with 100 slots... technically. Since Corona will only display 25 Ids you are basically stuck with Ids 1 to 25, which is not much, and the rest is only accessible via maxscript. So, if I convert this map the average user will never be able able to access their maps. I use higher Ids all the time and hence a conversion doesn't make sense to me - that's why I will skip it. If someone has additional feedback, please let me know.
« Last Edit: 2017-09-22, 17:50:32 by DeadClown »

2017-09-22, 17:59:04
Reply #1059

denisgo22

• Active Users
    • View Profile
very necessary!!!
Converting Vray MultiMap to Corona MultiTexture would be very useful, instead of redoing all 25 maps by hand:))
« Last Edit: 2017-09-22, 18:02:28 by denisgo22 »

2017-09-22, 18:00:49
Reply #1060

cecofuli

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Ok, I think to add Dome texture (with multiplier, etc... ) to Environment is a good idea ;-)

Sorry, not White balance, but White point!
I mean: when in 3ds max you need to load a HDRI and you change the HDRI white point  (for example, to 3.0) 3ds max will remember this input.
So, if you open another VRay scene and you will convert VRayHDRI to Bitmap, everything will be ok, except that the White point of this Bitmap will remain 3.0.

Oh, another button. If, with the script, we are able to disable all CoronaMap displacement (Disable displacement map button) we should be able to do the opposite =) 

Also, a bug with Output Amount. Look at the video

« Last Edit: 2017-09-22, 18:09:41 by cecofuli »

2017-09-22, 18:25:51
Reply #1061

racoonart

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • racoon-artworks
Converting Vray MultiMap to Corona MultiTexture would be very useful, instead of redoing all 25 maps by hand:))
So far so good, but this doesn't solve the problem I talked about.

Ok, I think to add Dome texture (with multiplier, etc... ) to Environment is a good idea ;-)
Ok, I'll look into it :)

Sorry, not White balance, but White point!
I mean: when in 3ds max you need to load a HDRI and you change the HDRI white point  (for example, to 3.0) 3ds max will remember this input.
So, if you open another VRay scene and you will convert VRayHDRI to Bitmap, everything will be ok, except that the White point of this Bitmap will remain 3.0.

I think I haven't completely understood what happens but I will try it out. I'm not sure however if I have direct access to one specific bitmap's file type settings. I can change global settings (the current "default" hdri load settings) but I don't know if I can read them from nodes already created. Will investigate.
[Edit] Ok, found the problem. It loads bitmaps with the current global settings for this file type. This will actually also happen every time with bitmap <-> coronaBitmap conversions. ... which is worrying... But nobody complained in the last 5 years so it can't be so bad :D . I will have to try to find a fix, but I'm not very positive that I can fix it.

Oh, another button. If, with the script, we are able to disable all CoronaMap displacement (Disable displacement map button) we should be able to do the opposite =) 

How do I know which ones were off before you pressed the "disable all" button? I can only turn on all of them - which I don't know is a good idea. I would have to track the states of all the displacements somewhere in the scene.

Also, a bug with Output Amount. Look at the video
Ok, even though I think I know why it happens I cannot reproduce it here. Which max version are you using? I can add you on skype and send a blind fix for you to test if you want :)
« Last Edit: 2017-09-22, 18:37:29 by DeadClown »

2017-09-22, 18:49:47
Reply #1062

cecofuli

• Active Users
    • View Profile

2017-09-22, 19:23:55
Reply #1063

denisgo22

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Ok guys, I need a bit of feedback.
I did the first version of VraySkinMtl and VrayFastSSS2 conversions. Both are rather ... "experimental".. to put it this way. Since the shaders are really different I cannot guarantee a matching result - or a close one. It depends on what features the original shader uses. Some conversions are pretty close, others are not. Especially VraySkinMtl conversions tend to differ due to the fact that CoronaSkinMtl needs an Overall Color, which does not exist in the VraySkinMtl. If you have any feedback, ideas, test cases I can use... please let me know :)

P.S.: Currently, the radius of the Corona SSS seems to be off (in my scenes). If you multiply the radius by 2.54 it's way closer. It may be a mismatch of system units - I use centimeters instead of inches. Please let me know if you notice the same.

FOLLOWING SCRIPT IS ONLY WORKING WITH DAILY BUILDS!
Get it here: http://www.racoon-artworks.de/CoronaConverter/CoronaConverter.html

changelog:
v1.37 - [2017/09/22]
  • added first version of VraySkinMtl and VrayFastSSS2 conversions

The VrayALSurfaceMtl is also on the Todo list and should go rather smootly due to it's similarity to the CoronaSkinMtl. It's just a lot of values and map slots to hook up.

I also had a look at conversion of VrayMultiSubTex to CoronaMultiMap but ran into an issue. Vray has configurable IDs, Corona has not. So if you use ID 100 in Vray, you will create a corona map with 100 slots... technically. Since Corona will only display 25 Ids you are basically stuck with Ids 1 to 25, which is not much, and the rest is only accessible via maxscript. So, if I convert this map the average user will never be able able to access their maps. I use higher Ids all the time and hence a conversion doesn't make sense to me - that's why I will skip it. If someone has additional feedback, please let me know.

At least 25 ID-s ///
I don't know who using much more 25 ID-s even in Vray Multimap:)))

2017-09-22, 19:48:34
Reply #1064

romullus

• Global Moderator
  • Active Users
  • Let's move this topic, shall we?
    • View Profile
    • My Models

If it's technically possible, script could look if some multimap uses more than 25 slots before conversion and give user warning, that after conversion some maps will be inaccessible through editor.

How do I know which ones were off before you pressed the "disable all" button? I can only turn on all of them - which I don't know is a good idea. I would have to track the states of all the displacements somewhere in the scene.

I wonder why this button is needed in the first place, when displacement can be globally toggled from render setup?
I'm not Corona Team member. Everything i say, is my personal opinion only.
My Models | My Videos | My Pictures