Author Topic: Grapes  (Read 18777 times)

2012-09-21, 20:49:07

racoonart

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • racoon-artworks
A new test with translucency and Dof...mmhhh... more with dof than with translucency ;) Dof is reaaally hard to get clean, or to be more precise, nearly impossible. This image rendered in 1600x900 with 300 passes reached in 1.5h. But dof was still very noisy. I had to blur the background via z-depth and resize the image to 720p.
Anyways, hope you like it :)

[edit] fixed the "wood" material
« Last Edit: 2012-09-22, 01:44:12 by DeadClown »
Any sufficiently advanced bug is indistinguishable from a feature.

2012-09-21, 21:11:30
Reply #1

michaltimko

• Active Users
  • Coronaut (c)
    • View Profile
wow ! can u post mat settings ? Looking very nice Martin!
Coronaut!(c)2011

Supporting Corona in commercial projects since pre-alpha

2012-09-21, 21:27:24
Reply #2

racoonart

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • racoon-artworks
Thanks! :)
I attached a slate editor screenshot with the most important maps and settings. Its completely procedural so it's built with noise maps and gradients. Pretty simple setup so far :) Lighting is more important here.

2012-09-21, 21:32:33
Reply #3

Ludvik Koutny

• VIP
  • Active Users
  • Just another user
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio

2012-09-21, 21:48:21
Reply #4

racoonart

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • racoon-artworks
It's not really a bug.. just slow and not clean... but i thought it would be a known problem anyways O_o ?

2012-09-21, 21:50:55
Reply #5

Ludvik Koutny

• VIP
  • Active Users
  • Just another user
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
It's not really a bug.. just slow and not clean... but i thought it would be a known problem anyways O_o ?

Actually it behaves inconsistently, so yeah, its most probably a bug. Corona is fast all around, and DoF should be nearly free to calculate, so this behavior does not make much sense. It's known something is wrong with DoF, but we are not sure what, so providing a scene would help a lot.

Of course we will not share the scene, nor use it in any other way than for debugging purposes without your permission.

2012-09-21, 22:04:20
Reply #6

racoonart

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • racoon-artworks
Ok, I will pack up the scene and give keymaster a direct link to the file :) I would provide a lot more scenes where problems occur but most of them are critical production scenes where I cannot risk that those things appear somewhere.

2012-09-21, 22:10:29
Reply #7

Ondra

• Administrator
  • Active Users
  • Turning coffee to features since 2009
    • View Profile
Unfortunately, the high rendertimes for scenes with DOF make some sense. Too blurry objects are really hard to simulate, because the (unbiased) DOF simulation is done is such way, that it is not efficient at all. All I can do is to check if random sampling is working correctly, and to compare the progression of noise in the scene to how it should look in theory.

I can also handle confidential scenes, but I understand if you dont want to take the risk.
Rendering is magic.How to get minidumps for crashed/frozen 3ds Max | Sorry for short replies, brief responses = more time to develop Corona ;)

2012-09-21, 22:45:55
Reply #8

alieneye

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • portfolio
wow! great!

but something wrong with vines the color. it should be green  (or brown, but more complex)

P.S. and shader network looks overcomplicated :)
« Last Edit: 2012-09-21, 22:51:04 by alieneye »

2012-09-21, 23:01:12
Reply #9

racoonart

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • racoon-artworks
It didn't really put much effort in it, maybe 1 or 2 hours (without rendering) ;) I know there should be some "fibrous" texture in the grapes it and such detail things, but it was more meant as a lighting and material test ;) I may update those shaders when Dof is faster :-D

[edit] oh, I didn't read properly. Yes you're right. I didn't look for reference material, I just thought those would look somehow that way. Good point! I should fix that.

[edit] did it :)
« Last Edit: 2012-09-22, 01:40:24 by DeadClown »

2012-09-22, 19:52:08
Reply #10

Ludvik Koutny

• VIP
  • Active Users
  • Just another user
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
BTW how many GI samples did you set?

2012-09-22, 21:39:12
Reply #11

alieneye

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • portfolio
better! :)

2012-09-22, 22:06:01
Reply #12

Ondra

• Administrator
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
I hope I've fixed the DOF, you can get the newest (22.9.) build and re-render it ;)
Rendering is magic.How to get minidumps for crashed/frozen 3ds Max | Sorry for short replies, brief responses = more time to develop Corona ;)

2012-09-23, 13:01:37
Reply #13

racoonart

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • racoon-artworks
mmhhh... At first I thought it would be way faster now, but after 1.5 hours I don't see a big difference :S What exactly did you change/fix? Especially the bokeh shapes are still very noisy. I tried rendering just a little crop of the image (via render region) and it feels like the bokeh shapes will never get clean ;) even after a lot more passes.

Rawalanche: I used 4 GI samples here.

2012-09-23, 13:20:30
Reply #14

Ondra

• Administrator
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
The direct light reflections will probably be always slow, maybe bidir will help. But there were some areas that would never clean up, they should be gone now.