Author Topic: Threadripper & Ryzen only builds (3rd Gen starts on page 50)  (Read 520449 times)

2018-10-01, 09:19:37
Reply #120

Zray

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • 3darcspace studio
Yes I plan to do, was just too busy. Easy to post tidbits between nervous breakdown for 6k machine functioning as expected :- ).
hi, what is your msi pci card?

It's bundled PCIe expander card with four m.2 slots for PCIe SSDs. It's big overkill in terms of cooling :- ) But since there is empty space there why not.
Thanks. Does your computer work well now? I am waiting 2970x :)

2018-10-01, 13:52:20
Reply #121

Juraj

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • studio website
It seemingly seems so :- ).

Except latest Corona daily (couldn't test normal build) only uses 30perc. computing power during UHD Cache phase compared to i9. Not sure what to make of that..
Please follow my new Instagram for latest projects, tips&tricks, short video tutorials and free models
Behance  Probably best updated portfolio of my work
lysfaere.com Please check the new stuff!

2018-10-01, 15:22:46
Reply #122

Fluss

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Except latest Corona daily (couldn't test normal build) only uses 30perc. computing power during UHD Cache phase compared to i9. Not sure what to make of that..

It behaves the same way here on dual xeon 2696 v4. Not sure it is related to the amd chip
« Last Edit: 2018-10-01, 15:30:22 by Fluss »

2018-10-01, 15:40:16
Reply #123

Juraj

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • studio website
Yeah I am not sure either, just throwing that out. I have the same daily build on my i9 7980XE and that one uses 100perc. and thus computes the UHD much faster (yes we're talking 2 vs 4 seconds but still ;- )
Please follow my new Instagram for latest projects, tips&tricks, short video tutorials and free models

2018-10-03, 05:15:41
Reply #124

Gewiz90

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Would you recommend it?

2018-10-03, 13:07:36
Reply #125

Juraj

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • studio website
The 2990WX ? Yes, there isn't anything better on market and you shouldn't expect the 28C Intel any soon (22C is coming to market only in near future, and it will have same performance as the 18 core as what you get with more cores Intel will eat in heat reducing its overclocking potential. They are all just rebranded xeons, no way to go around the physics).

Is it living up to its full potential ? No, but we knew that but it's still very fast where it matters. But I will continue to wonder if there isn't some way for Corona to optimize the usage of Threadripper or AMD in general as platform. It has better performance in other renderers (even Vray).

2018-10-03, 17:53:56
Reply #126

psanitra

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • NeEmotion.net
ok, all components ready, lets do this :)

Noemotion.net - www.noemotion.net
Peter Sanitra - www.psanitra.com
Noemotionhdrs.net - www.noemotionhdrs.net

2018-10-03, 17:59:00
Reply #127

Juraj

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • studio website
I know what I forgot to write you... 1L of fluid wasn't enough for the loop in my case (it ended up being 1.5 I think) I would suggest to order another concentrate just in case.

2018-10-04, 02:24:25
Reply #128

lupaz

• Active Users
    • View Profile
A side question:
How many times faster would you say 2990WX is compared to ryzen 7 1800x with corona?

2018-10-05, 00:11:22
Reply #129

psanitra

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • NeEmotion.net
Getting some stuff in.  Front and bottom fans next.

due manufacturing precision EK vs Lian li, i was not able to one last crew on side radiator fan, holes does not align.

I was a bit disappointing that EKs Vardar fans does not come with any rubber feet or other vibration dampening system.

i kept one of the NVME drives under original Aorus heasink, and for second slot i used EKs heatsink. I wonder what`s the temperature difference going to be..

2018-10-05, 11:49:36
Reply #130

Juraj

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • studio website
That's totally fine, I didn't order enough long screws so three of my fans are mounted only by two opposing screws :- ). Thankfully though even the Chromax Noctuas do have anti-vibration parts in package.

2018-10-05, 21:37:16
Reply #131

Juraj

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • studio website
https://www.tomshardware.com/news/amd-cpu-threadripper-2970wx-2920x,37895.html

including a new Dynamic Local Mode that automatically migrates applications to CPU cores with direct memory access.

Yay, let's see how this will work.

2018-10-05, 22:43:14
Reply #132

psanitra

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • NeEmotion.net
https://www.tomshardware.com/news/amd-cpu-threadripper-2970wx-2920x,37895.html

including a new Dynamic Local Mode that automatically migrates applications to CPU cores with direct memory access.

Yay, let's see how this will work.

That looks promising!

2018-10-06, 13:37:20
Reply #133

fraine7

• Active Users
    • View Profile
For anyone using the 2990WX (Juraj), are you experiencing any system stability issues?

If I begin to render, I get to about 10 mins in and my screens are going completely black, power buttons on the case do not respond and the system needs a hard reset via the PSU switch on the back of my case. Motherboard displays a red LED which reads 'CPU' - This appears to have been an issue with the 1st gen Ryzen chips but I'm not having any luck finding the solution.

Latest bios installed, chipset drivers direct from AMD, all other drivers up to date and Windows 10 fully up to date too.

Obvious next steps include taking the CPU and/or motherboard back to the supplier but this doesn't guarantee that my problem will disappear, it might just reappear with the replacement parts.

Any issues with your system?

2018-10-06, 13:41:50
Reply #134

Juraj

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • studio website
No, absolutely no issues since I updated to 1.25 for the MEG board. Perfectly stable rendering 24/7. I've only set PBO to 350W though for CPU, will give it back to 500-600W with another revision of bios, right now I am bit scared of it. Although running benchmarks at 500W (3.95-4.05Ghz all-core) no stability issues were observed either.

What board do you have ? What PSU, are you monitoring all temperatures with HWinfo (esp. VRM) ?