Author Topic: system low RAM  (Read 6961 times)

2017-11-08, 23:41:31

AM_visualization

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • amvisualization
Hi,

i've a question, is possible that i out of ram with this simple scene?
there are only a few boxes and i rendering VR mode 8k....any suggestion....
Fat biker bounce better

2017-11-08, 23:48:04
Reply #1

PROH

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Seems like you got a bunch of render elements eating up 6,9GB

2017-11-09, 00:00:09
Reply #2

AM_visualization

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • amvisualization
Seems like you got a bunch of render elements eating up 6,9GB

Hi, is the first things that i control....but there isnt any render elements, only alpha in frame buffer
Fat biker bounce better

2017-11-09, 00:10:55
Reply #3

Juraj

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • studio website
I am not sure if those elements aren't tied to denoising (so invisible to user).

Anyway, even without those "elements", that would be damn 20GB for 40k polies.. so something is very wrong, even though Corona is super hungry renderer.

Btw, does it throw this message if you restart 3dsMax and hit render first time ? There is big issue with Corona where it won't flush all the data from subsequent renders, issue that's apparently tied to 3dsMax but one that we have to live with for now.
You can try exporting the scene to Corona Standalone to see the actual 'cost' of scene without all the 3dsMax garbage.

Nonetheless hopefully this can be solved in future as other renderers found some way to flush this data.
Please follow my new Instagram for latest projects, tips&tricks, short video tutorials and free models
Behance  Probably best updated portfolio of my work
lysfaere.com Please check the new stuff!

2017-11-09, 00:37:30
Reply #4

AM_visualization

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • amvisualization
I am not sure if those elements aren't tied to denoising (so invisible to user).

Anyway, even without those "elements", that would be damn 20GB for 40k polies.. so something is very wrong, even though Corona is super hungry renderer.

Btw, does it throw this message if you restart 3dsMax and hit render first time ? There is big issue with Corona where it won't flush all the data from subsequent renders, issue that's apparently tied to 3dsMax but one that we have to live with for now.
You can try exporting the scene to Corona Standalone to see the actual 'cost' of scene without all the 3dsMax garbage.

Nonetheless hopefully this can be solved in future as other renderers found some way to flush this data.

i will try with the standalone, but how have you said i noticed that the message of low ram appear during denoising..
Fat biker bounce better

2017-11-09, 10:16:34
Reply #5

Ryuu

• Former Corona Team Member
  • Active Users
  • Michal
    • View Profile
Frame buffer / render elements eat a lot of memory on high resolutions. Unfortunately 3ds Max allocates itself some more memory for the elements internally, which should be something like 1 GB in your case. That makes 8 GB in total consumed just by frame buffer.

Since you have only 40k unique polygons, I doubt that the geometry is a significant memory consumer. My guess would be some high resolution textures.

Corona allocates some more memory during the denoising phase since it needs some temporary working buffers to copy the render elements to for additional processing (and storing the denoised result). This is something we'd like to fix, but there was unfortunately no time to implement it yet.

2017-11-09, 11:14:12
Reply #6

AM_visualization

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • amvisualization
Frame buffer / render elements eat a lot of memory on high resolutions. Unfortunately 3ds Max allocates itself some more memory for the elements internally, which should be something like 1 GB in your case. That makes 8 GB in total consumed just by frame buffer.

Since you have only 40k unique polygons, I doubt that the geometry is a significant memory consumer. My guess would be some high resolution textures.

Corona allocates some more memory during the denoising phase since it needs some temporary working buffers to copy the render elements to for additional processing (and storing the denoised result). This is something we'd like to fix, but there was unfortunately no time to implement it yet.

hi there isnt any kind of texture in the scene, only solid color....
Fat biker bounce better

2017-11-09, 12:36:51
Reply #7

Ryuu

• Former Corona Team Member
  • Active Users
  • Michal
    • View Profile
That's weird. Can you share the scene for us for internal testing? You can use the private uploader from my signature for that.

2017-11-09, 12:57:17
Reply #8

AM_visualization

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • amvisualization
That's weird. Can you share the scene for us for internal testing? You can use the private uploader from my signature for that.

sure i will do it this afternoon!thank you
Fat biker bounce better

2017-11-09, 18:29:24
Reply #9

AM_visualization

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • amvisualization
scene uploaded

1510248444_MM-studio-volumi.max
Fat biker bounce better

2017-11-10, 14:44:36
Reply #10

Ondra

• Administrator
  • Active Users
  • Turning coffee to features since 2009
    • View Profile
Hi,
I checked your scene, and there is (unfortunately) nothing wrong there at the moment. Corona is currently a "bit" memory hungry (100B per pixel for denoising, 72B per pixel for random sampling). We have some optimizations planned, do not worry ;). The memory usage I got was consistent with this
Rendering is magic.How to get minidumps for crashed/frozen 3ds Max | Sorry for short replies, brief responses = more time to develop Corona ;)

2017-11-10, 15:28:44
Reply #11

AM_visualization

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • amvisualization
Hi,
I checked your scene, and there is (unfortunately) nothing wrong there at the moment. Corona is currently a "bit" memory hungry (100B per pixel for denoising, 72B per pixel for random sampling). We have some optimizations planned, do not worry ;). The memory usage I got was consistent with this

ok thanks Ondra, at the moment with this kind of scene i disabled the denoising...
unfortunately now i'm working on another VR image an with this i cant disable it......:)
thanks for the support
Fat biker bounce better

2017-11-10, 16:16:23
Reply #12

Ondra

• Administrator
  • Active Users
  • Turning coffee to features since 2009
    • View Profile
one extreme solution would be to switch random sampler from DMC to per pixel xorshift64*. That would bring the usage down by another 4G, but would slow down stuff a lot (more noise)
Rendering is magic.How to get minidumps for crashed/frozen 3ds Max | Sorry for short replies, brief responses = more time to develop Corona ;)

2017-11-10, 17:33:22
Reply #13

maru

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
  • Marcin
    • View Profile
Another idea would be probably rendering in regions/strips, for example through BB or Deadline. Just be careful with denoising then - remember to merge first, and then denoise.
Marcin Miodek | chaos-corona.com
3D Support Team Lead - Corona | contact us

2017-11-20, 17:56:33
Reply #14

Charlie Nicols

• Active Users
    • View Profile
May not be particularly helpful but I would look into getting more RAM -  64GB is the minimum I would spec a PC when rendering with Corona, especially for VR.