Author Topic: I NEED HELP with a PC build  (Read 6664 times)

2022-11-25, 19:19:46
Reply #15

lupaz

• Active Users
    • View Profile
With the 7950x I've been reading that you'd be fine with almost any cooler. It keeps 95 deg and regulates the performance. But the difference in performance are minimal.

2022-11-26, 11:28:15
Reply #16

Juraj

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • studio website
Well, the general opinion that swayed from "The chip will burn" to "fine with any cooler" is quite extreme :- )

Of course the chip won't burn but throttle but performance difference won't be minimal at all in multi-threaded performance.
There is big difference in general use (games, media) where few cores can clock very high leaving the rest docked or clocked lower and thus maintain high performance (FPS,etc..) despite overall throttling, but mixed workflow like Corona Interactive will suffer lot more.

Powerful cooler is always good idea and there is reason why coolers are rated for some particular TDP (Noctua has the best publicly available list of this).
Even when you power limit (or/at same time voltage limit) keeping the CPU well cooled maximizes your performance. You paid a lot of money to leave it on the table.

Reason to avoid Enermax is because they have the highest fault-rate in industry. If you have 3000 USD PC, you don't want your liquid cooler to grow shit inside, lean or just explode the pump outright.
They simply produce crap products, it's that simple.
Please follow my new Instagram for latest projects, tips&tricks, short video tutorials and free models
Behance  Probably best updated portfolio of my work
lysfaere.com Please check the new stuff!

2022-11-26, 16:35:56
Reply #17

lupaz

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Personally, I bought noctua. I still have aversion to water in my case.

Everything's coming next week. Will report back.

So far my build is:
7950x (B&H sold it for $550!)
Gigabyte B650 Aero g
Noctua nh-d15
2x Kingston fury beast 64GB 5200Mhz
2x M.2 Samsung 980 pro (1TB for OS and 2TB for projects)
Case: fractal torrent mid tower
Psu: Corsair HX 1200w platinum

I'm reusing a gpu from a previous build.

2022-11-26, 18:34:27
Reply #18

Yousef13

• Active Users
    • View Profile
With the 7950x I've been reading that you'd be fine with almost any cooler. It keeps 95 deg and regulates the performance. But the difference in performance are minimal.

I read that too, but I also read about the effect coolers have on CPU performance and it is quite noticeable. This is my first build so I have wait and see.

Well, the general opinion that swayed from "The chip will burn" to "fine with any cooler" is quite extreme :- )

Of course the chip won't burn but throttle but performance difference won't be minimal at all in multi-threaded performance.
There is big difference in general use (games, media) where few cores can clock very high leaving the rest docked or clocked lower and thus maintain high performance (FPS,etc..) despite overall throttling, but mixed workflow like Corona Interactive will suffer lot more.

Powerful cooler is always good idea and there is reason why coolers are rated for some particular TDP (Noctua has the best publicly available list of this).
Even when you power limit (or/at same time voltage limit) keeping the CPU well cooled maximizes your performance. You paid a lot of money to leave it on the table.

Reason to avoid Enermax is because they have the highest fault-rate in industry. If you have 3000 USD PC, you don't want your liquid cooler to grow shit inside, lean or just explode the pump outright.
They simply produce crap products, it's that simple.

Unfortunately, the product already has been shipped, so I will have to use it for now until next month when I can buy a better one. I have my eyes on this one ( https://www.newegg.com/p/13C-0005-002A0?Item=9SIAADYH270112 )
I have to say I am a little bit confused, you recommended I get an AIO and Noctua D-15, I don't know how they fit together because I thought AIO also has CPU cooling, can you explain?

So far my build is:
Gigabyte B650 Aero g
Noctua nh-d15

Close enough to my build, waiting for your take on the cooler

2022-11-28, 08:44:40
Reply #19

Juraj

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • studio website
I recommend one or the other :- )  Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 or 420 is my personal AIO recommendation, and NH-D15 is my personal Air recommendation.
Please follow my new Instagram for latest projects, tips&tricks, short video tutorials and free models

2022-11-28, 14:11:14
Reply #20

lupaz

• Active Users
    • View Profile

2022-11-28, 15:39:21
Reply #21

Juraj

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • studio website
The 13900K is indeed single-threaded king, but 7950x remains the overall-performance king. Really no bad choice to make.

Very good CPU progress this generation.

This graph is also good reminder, do install Windows 11 with them.

2022-11-28, 15:47:38
Reply #22

lupaz

• Active Users
    • View Profile
The 13900K is indeed single-threaded king, but 7950x remains the overall-performance king. Really no bad choice to make.

Very good CPU progress this generation.

This graph is also good reminder, do install Windows 11 with them.

Yup. And with performance comes better acoustics supposedly.

My windows 11 copy is on its way :). Thanks!

2022-12-01, 15:23:30
Reply #23

Denzovic

• Users
    • View Profile

So far my build is:
Gigabyte B650 Aero g
Noctua nh-d15

My new PC build is same! Awesome, I´m really glad about my decisions with components, but ... not at all (maybe?) :D

My RAM isn´t Kingston fury beast 64GB 5200Mhz, but Kingston fury beast 64GB 5600Mhz and 7950X CPU officially supports effective memory speeds up to 5200 MHz.
It´s okay about my RAM variant?

2022-12-05, 09:26:48
Reply #24

Juraj

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • studio website
It doesn't matter too much how expensive memory you will buy because DDR5 on current cpus will struggle to maintain high clocks in 64 & 128GB configuration (due to amount of ranks putting stress on IO).
5200 might even be the most stable you will be able to reach.

All those 6000+ Kits are for 8/16/32GB in maximum of two modules. The increased latency will not be felt in Corona rendering at all.

2022-12-06, 15:54:08
Reply #25

lupaz

• Active Users
    • View Profile
I built my computer yesterday!
Corona Benchmark: 00:00:36!!!

2022-12-13, 03:45:29
Reply #26

Yousef13

• Active Users
    • View Profile

Yes I had the same results, but now that I have built my pc, I don't care much about benchmarks. I am so happy with the interactive rendering speed and the final render time
For GPU I went with RTX 3090 24gb

2022-12-18, 09:42:34
Reply #27

Juraj

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • studio website

Yes I had the same results, but now that I have built my pc, I don't care much about benchmarks. I am so happy with the interactive rendering speed and the final render time
For GPU I went with RTX 3090 24gb

As should be :- ) Congrats to nice PC build !