Author Topic: Grass wip  (Read 8764 times)

2013-02-20, 18:08:50

SanderB

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Trying to create some nice grass in corona by using the corona scatter.
I got suprisingly fast to this result which is not bad looking at all i thought and being straight out of the vfb.
Lighted by only a HDRI in the corona environment slot.
HD cache for 2nd with precomp at 10 - max si @ 8 for faster preview render.

Now i need to add some fruit in the basket and maybe add some other things but have to see :)

When i was typing this i tried adding render elements but whenever i add one and try to render it comes up with an error saying: Error creating file output. It can be fixed by changing the output path but the path that it comes up with default should also exist. Also I am very lazy so changing the output on all render elements is a lot of work :P
Don't know if it is max or corona related but i have never had it before.

2013-02-20, 18:33:22
Reply #1

Ondra

• Administrator
  • Active Users
  • Turning coffee to features since 2009
    • View Profile
That is probably max related (Although I don't know if it happens with other renderers).

As for the render, you should really use PT+PT, it is the best solution by far for exterior shots with complicated geometry.
Rendering is magic.How to get minidumps for crashed/frozen 3ds Max | Sorry for short replies, brief responses = more time to develop Corona ;)

2013-02-20, 19:03:53
Reply #2

SanderB

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Ok i will remember that for the final render.
Thought since there is almost no GI going on i would just use this method for quick testrenders or am i mistaken?

I tried changing the renderer to vray and there the same error comes up when using renderelements so it is something max related.

2013-02-20, 19:34:53
Reply #3

Ondra

• Administrator
  • Active Users
  • Turning coffee to features since 2009
    • View Profile
exactly, since there is almost no GI, path tracing will be faster (it has smaller inherent overhead)
Rendering is magic.How to get minidumps for crashed/frozen 3ds Max | Sorry for short replies, brief responses = more time to develop Corona ;)

2013-02-21, 03:14:18
Reply #4

SanderB

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Quick update, i started going for peaches but had a hard time getting the shader right so i fell back to apples.
They still need some finer tweaking and prolly some better reflection mapping.
Still planning on adding some more to the scene but haven't decided yet on what.
Am also getting some overbright reflections on the grass going up to values of 30.
In vray i would just clamp the output but i don't know if corona has something similar?

2013-02-21, 12:25:42
Reply #5

Ludvik Koutny

• VIP
  • Active Users
  • Just another user
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
We discussed the need of some smart clamping before, but solution is a bit tricky. Fortunately, it might make it to the next Alpha build. For now, we can only try to look for some workaround. What happens if you set HL burn value to the max. Does it make any difference?

2013-02-21, 13:04:33
Reply #6

SanderB

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Yeah i tried high values for the HL burn but i believe at no point the overbright spots came down a lot and ofcourse impacting the rest of the image negatively.

2013-02-21, 17:01:00
Reply #7

SanderB

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Wanted to add a woman in the background walking away and wanted to try out some motionblur.
The woman and dress are animated over 5 frames by using a morpher modifier with keyframes.
Something seems to be going wrong but i have no idea if it's some settings i got wrong, the animation itself (using a morpher modifier) or a bug or something else.

2013-02-21, 17:01:54
Reply #8

Ludvik Koutny

• VIP
  • Active Users
  • Just another user
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
Yes, this, unfortunately, is a known bug too... :/

2013-02-21, 17:25:25
Reply #9

SanderB

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Ah ok that explains, I tried doing the animation with pointcache in the meanwhile but also with no success.
Will have to see what i'll do then because i don't want to spent much more time on this scene :)

2013-02-25, 13:51:35
Reply #10

michaltimko

• Active Users
  • Coronaut (c)
    • View Profile
For peaches, you can use faloff. On my image its maybe kinda overdone but i somehow like it.
PS : Ignore those black areas over peaches, it noticed it after image was done. 3ds`s max bug
Coronaut!(c)2011

Supporting Corona in commercial projects since pre-alpha