General Category > General CG Discussion

Training advice

(1/1)

Tanuki:
I'd like to get some opinions for you guys about the best way to improve my skills at product visualization.

In the past I've used v-ray, maxwell, arion, and thea but never had any real training on rendering, just trial and error/ self taught and free tutorials etc. I'm currently running c4d and corona obviously, but my direct boss has come to me saying "our render looks ^%$^, what software do we need to be using to get our renders looking like these guys?" (shows me a competitors website that I'm 99% sure are running max+v-ray.)

I've explained to him that you can great artists can produce great renders from any number of packages, and that any issues with our renders say more about my skills than the software we're using, and he's happy to fork out for training as a result.
I'm wondering what you guys would recommend in this situation?. Would a physical sit-in v-ray training course be my best bet? (I'm thinking the lighting, shading skills etc would be pretty transferable to corona...) or maybe there's online self-paced training that might be a better option?. any suggestions would be appreciated.

Dervish:
sign up tp Grant Warwicks classes, I am sure you will learn a few tricks here and there. Also the general rule to super realistic renders is time. The more time spent, the better the materials and lighting comes out. Most guys can do decent renders in a day, but the ones that look like photos can take a week or so in my opinion and hopefully with experience, you can speed up.

CiroC:
You may find that learning Photography is quite useful. And you could also have a look at this link: http://bertrand-benoit.com/blog/the-photographic-look/

Tanuki:
Thanks guys.

I've been looking at Bertrands work for a while. Amazing stuff. Still struggling to port some of his material ideas over to c4d. the layer system in c4d is quite different to the max nodes. making progress though.
I've signed up the grants classes too now. great stuff, and relevant to any software really.
Since finding the vkontakt corona c4d page I've been able to dissect some materials in c4d to see how the fresnel layers are made so that's been a big help too.
Cheers

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version