Author Topic: CoronaBitmap - mirror tiling mode behaviour  (Read 13251 times)

2015-06-06, 19:26:45
Reply #15

PROH

• Active Users
    • View Profile
YES! Don't think that no one uses it, just because you don't. Besides that - if it actually is a bug (as suggested) it might be changed in Max at some time, bringing up the exact same "checkbox" need.

IMHO 50:50 in user base is pretty good argument for both.

2015-06-06, 19:32:04
Reply #16

Ludvik Koutny

• VIP
  • Active Users
  • Just another user
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
YES! Don't think that no one uses it, just because you don't. Besides that - if it actually is a bug (as suggested) it might be changed in Max at some time, bringing up the exact same "checkbox" need.

IMHO 50:50 in user base is pretty good argument for both.

Can you post practical example of how you use it? I mean kind of example that would suggest you use it very often. It's definitely not a feature i would see anyone ever use.

It's not a bug by the way. It's simply that someone who wrote that feature decades ago decided it would be a good idea to actually show that something happened when user clicked mirror. That it would actually create mirror effect of the image, not just flip the image. I can see reasoning for that. If a new user clicked it, and nothing would happen, they would think button does not work. And if they clicked the button, and it would just flip the texture in the preview, they would think mirror means flip, not tiling while alternating between original and flipped version of the image.
« Last Edit: 2015-06-06, 19:36:33 by Rawalanche »

2015-06-06, 20:19:27
Reply #17

PROH

• Active Users
    • View Profile
I don't believe it's a bug either, but I also don't believe in your storytelling :)

Fact is, that combined with the Crop feature, Mirror offers you a way to make seamless texture out of non-seamless bitmaps without any use of external editor programs like PhotoShop. It also gives the possibility to make "patterns" in a way ordinary tilling can't do.

Since this is a feature from times where seamless textures very quite rare (compared with today), where PhotoShop was extremely expensive, and (poor) digital patterns were "fascinating", that's IMHO more likely the reason for this feature.

But who knows? I don't know the inventor of the Mirror function. Do you?

2015-06-06, 20:24:53
Reply #18

Ludvik Koutny

• VIP
  • Active Users
  • Just another user
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
I don't believe it's a bug either, but I also don't believe in your storytelling :)

Fact is, that combined with the Crop feature, Mirror offers you a way to make seamless texture out of non-seamless bitmaps without any use of external editor programs like PhotoShop. It also gives the possibility to make "patterns" in a way ordinary tilling can't do.

Since this is a feature from times where seamless textures very quite rare (compared with today), where PhotoShop was extremely expensive, and (poor) digital patterns were "fascinating", that's IMHO more likely the reason for this feature.

But who knows? I don't know the inventor of the Mirror function. Do you?

You do realize that we are just talking about how the mirror feature is mapped on the UV space, not if it works or not in CoronaBitmap, correct? Because it works in CoronaBitmap, and it works in CoronaBitmap exactly the same way it works in native 3dsMax bitmap.

Also, you do not need to know who programmed this feature of bitmap to know if it's a bug or not, all you need to do is to read 3dsMax help: http://help.autodesk.com/view/3DSMAX/2015/ENU/?guid=GUID-8AE3643F-BDB4-498B-B220-92646FC8A562

So what's wrong about what i said?

2015-06-06, 20:39:51
Reply #19

PROH

• Active Users
    • View Profile
You asked for a practical example of why to use mirror in stead of flip - that's what I gave you.

Yes I know what we are talking about, and yes I have read the help file - even before you linked to it. Nothing wrong with anything you wrote, just giving you an alternative version of the "why" history.

I don't see any reason to continue this debate - it's up to Ondra to decide :)

2015-06-06, 20:57:29
Reply #20

Ludvik Koutny

• VIP
  • Active Users
  • Just another user
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
Well in that case i still do not understand. As I said, mirror works, and works exactly like it does in Max bitmap. If you were using Mirror previously, you will be able to use it with CoronaBitmap in exact same manner.

You entered in a middle of a discussion about if it's worth to have additional checkbox for feature that is not used very often to do something you can easily do by hand. I assumed that's what we are talking about, not if mirror in CoronaBitmap is possible.

2015-06-06, 21:47:12
Reply #21

PROH

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Noted.

2015-06-07, 08:26:22
Reply #22

romullus

• Global Moderator
  • Active Users
  • Let's move this topic, shall we?
    • View Profile
    • My Models
Splited this charming discussion into separate topic to keep daily builds topic more clean.
I'm not Corona Team member. Everything i say, is my personal opinion only.
My Models | My Videos | My Pictures

2015-06-07, 10:15:55
Reply #23

Juraj

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • studio website
Yeah, whatever choice is done, no checkboxes for both. If it's stay the same, it's just 3dsMax quirk, not Corona fault.

But checkboxes are nightmare of UI. Good to see legacy brdf gone (I was surprised by this, didn't expect that from devs but that's actually admirable).
Please follow my new Instagram for latest projects, tips&tricks, short video tutorials and free models
Behance  Probably best updated portfolio of my work
lysfaere.com Please check the new stuff!

2015-06-07, 16:47:15
Reply #24

Ondra

• Administrator
  • Active Users
  • Turning coffee to features since 2009
    • View Profile
But checkboxes are nightmare of UI. Good to see legacy brdf gone (I was surprised by this, didn't expect that from devs but that's actually admirable).

You can always count on us being brave enough to remove legacy shit, regardless of what people on forum predict ;)
Rendering is magic.How to get minidumps for crashed/frozen 3ds Max | Sorry for short replies, brief responses = more time to develop Corona ;)