Author Topic: Daily Builds 1.0 - 1.4  (Read 249314 times)

2015-07-23, 12:17:24
Reply #240

fobus

• Active Users
    • View Profile
The scene was originally created in 2014. Trying to open in 2015 leads to crash. But it opens in 2013 with Sun animation stored well, but... But wired sky was unwired so trying to move new Sun do nothing with Environment texture (wired to sun rotation of old Sun).

2015-07-23, 13:34:22
Reply #241

Ondra

• Administrator
  • Active Users
  • Turning coffee to features since 2009
    • View Profile
ok, I tried 2015 and same result. The problem is that I cannot open debug symbols for your minidump. Do you have all service packs installed?
Rendering is magic.How to get minidumps for crashed/frozen 3ds Max | Sorry for short replies, brief responses = more time to develop Corona ;)

2015-07-23, 14:22:01
Reply #242

pokoy

• Active Users
    • View Profile
DailyBuild Jul 17 2015 - max 2016

It seems like this daily build messes up the 'legacy mode' switch in materials. Scenes where I have set this to 'off' now load with it enabled.
It was either not saving correctly in the earlier build, or this specific build fails to load them correctly.

Can anyone confirm?

2015-07-23, 14:36:06
Reply #243

romullus

• Global Moderator
  • Active Users
  • Let's move this topic, shall we?
    • View Profile
    • My Models
Yep, just checked and i can confirm it... with 95% confidence :]
I'm not Corona Team member. Everything i say, is my personal opinion only.
My Models | My Videos | My Pictures

2015-07-23, 14:42:09
Reply #244

pokoy

• Active Users
    • View Profile
It seems all these newer builds load the switch with 'on' state:

2015-07-17
2015-07-21
2015-07-22

I'll test now which of dailies manages to load them correctly, or if it wasn't just saving with the file. Will post when I know more.

This is a huge mess. I'll need to roll back all the files from the last days where I've already used the new sun.

2015-07-23, 15:06:20
Reply #245

Ondra

• Administrator
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
when new options are added, the switch gets enabled again for the new options, but it should not re-enable the old options (such as non-GGX BRDF). Overall the material appearance should not change when opening old scene in new build. Can you test that?
Rendering is magic.How to get minidumps for crashed/frozen 3ds Max | Sorry for short replies, brief responses = more time to develop Corona ;)

2015-07-23, 15:17:05
Reply #246

pokoy

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Not sure what you mean... I wasn't aware there's another change in materials and we need to set 'legacy mode' to off again with the newer builds. Or did I misunderstand?

FYI, daily '2015-06-20 1.1 legacy hotfix' loads these in 'off' state, just like they were saved back then.

Also, saving a file with the latest daily and re-opening it warns me about 'Obsolete data format found...' as if the file was saved in an earlier version of max. Where does that come from?

2015-07-23, 15:34:50
Reply #247

pokoy

• Active Users
    • View Profile
The legacy switch does change the appearance, see attached image.

So what exactly is the reason the legacy switch is set to 'on' now again? Changes to the BRDF?

2015-07-23, 16:08:47
Reply #248

Ondra

• Administrator
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
probably the bump strength and opacity mono/color changes.

Does the legacy switch change appearance when comparing the old build vs. new build (where you leave it on)?

2015-07-23, 16:28:48
Reply #249

pokoy

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Sorry, I have no time to check that right now.

Also, without knowing the exact changes (like what the legacy switch does now as opposed to what it did weeks ago) it's hard to know what to look for. In one case 'legacy' means non-GGX BRDF, on another case the same switch means different handling of bump and opacity - this is a nightmare for testing and documenting bugs. I'd say get rid of the legacy switch completely, it's really only confusing users.

2015-07-23, 16:53:58
Reply #250

Ondra

• Administrator
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
meaning of the switch is simple: it will preserve the shading model used when you last saved the scene.

Legacy mode ON = no change when rendering in old/new build
Legacy mode OFF = using the latest shading model

2015-07-23, 17:06:26
Reply #251

pokoy

• Active Users
    • View Profile
meaning of the switch is simple: it will preserve the shading model used when you last saved the scene.

Does that mean I can have a scene with materials with different legacy switch behavior in ON state based on which build they have been created in?

Also, for those who like to keep rendering with the latest shading model it means they will have to touch their files every time the BRDF changes. Since this can get very tedious, can we have a global checkbox (in the dev/debug section probably) where we can set legacy=off globally?

2015-07-23, 17:12:50
Reply #252

pokoy

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Also, since you were suggesting the 'new' legacy switch would only switch between new and old bump and opacity behaviour: even without any bump and opacity, the switch has quite some effect on low glossiness reflectivity.

Scratching my head here, I think it's best you make some thorough tests for yourself, there may be something unintended going on.

2015-07-23, 17:22:02
Reply #253

romullus

• Global Moderator
  • Active Users
  • Let's move this topic, shall we?
    • View Profile
    • My Models
Also, for those who like to keep rendering with the latest shading model it means they will have to touch their files every time the BRDF changes. Since this can get very tedious, can we have a global checkbox (in the dev/debug section probably) where we can set legacy=off globally?
You can use older material converter version for that. For some reason such option was removed in newer ones, though.
I'm not Corona Team member. Everything i say, is my personal opinion only.
My Models | My Videos | My Pictures

2015-07-23, 17:26:04
Reply #254

racoonart

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • racoon-artworks
You can still switch the lagacy mode OFF in newer converter versions, you just can't turn it ON again (which is possible with maxscript, but it doesn't do anything, it will be ignored by corona - on purpose)
Any sufficiently advanced bug is indistinguishable from a feature.