Author Topic: Daily Builds 1.0 - 1.4  (Read 248633 times)

2015-07-17, 19:50:09
Reply #225

pokoy

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Actually, in the beginning I didn't like the sunlight object and found it clunky to work with. Now that I got used to it I'm hesitant to say that I like the change back... But I really missed viewport lighting preview from the sun so I guess I can get used to the old sun again.
It may not be hard to live without it when you work on your own but once a client wants to have a look at different sun positions with you it's just more comfortable to have a preview.
The old sun on the other hand had the big advantage that memorizing an alternate sun position was a matter of writing down two numbers and not having to clone the sun object or animating its position. IF there's a way to script a sun helper that will control the new sun object and vice versa, that would be the way to go, rotation and zenith angle are just so easy to work with.

2015-07-17, 20:04:20
Reply #226

Ludvik Koutny

• VIP
  • Active Users
  • Just another user
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
Actually, in the beginning I didn't like the sunlight object and found it clunky to work with. Now that I got used to it I'm hesitant to say that I like the change back... But I really missed viewport lighting preview from the sun so I guess I can get used to the old sun again.
It may not be hard to live without it when you work on your own but once a client wants to have a look at different sun positions with you it's just more comfortable to have a preview.
The old sun on the other hand had the big advantage that memorizing an alternate sun position was a matter of writing down two numbers and not having to clone the sun object or animating its position. IF there's a way to script a sun helper that will control the new sun object and vice versa, that would be the way to go, rotation and zenith angle are just so easy to work with.

Some hints:

- Previously it was a matter of writing down two values, now it's a matter of setting single keyframe :) If you don't do animation, you can use keyframes as simple storage for sunlight angles. Even if you do animate, you can for example extend your timeline to negative frames, say instead of starting at 0, you start at -10 to get 10 slots to store sun angle. (EDIT: Missed that you mentioned animating, but still, i don't think it's inconvenient)

- If you want latitude longtitude control, you can try following. Just one link, and you can control sun using same values. No visual representation though:

- In general, what is currently happening is what I call a Gmail effect, where people tend to generally dislike new changes as they have to adapt, and every adaptation comes with a bit of frustration, but at the same time, if Google now changed entire Gmail back to 2008 version for example, people would realize how much improvement in a good direction was made since then.

So, if we had this regular targeted sun object, that is consistent with 3ds Max light standards, as well as with direct light objects of pretty much every 3rd party 3ds Max renderer, and keep it this way for past two years, and today, we would change it to the angular sun gizmo, there would be 10 times more outrage than there is now, trust me ;)
« Last Edit: 2015-07-17, 20:11:29 by Rawalanche »

2015-07-18, 08:57:08
Reply #227

fobus

• Active Users
    • View Profile
And what about the old scenes that was set up with keyframed sun position wired to environment map? New build totally breaks this scenes.

2015-07-20, 00:42:42
Reply #228

juang3d

• Active Users
    • View Profile
There is no 2016 build in the dropbox?

Cheers!

2015-07-20, 10:48:15
Reply #229

shadowman

• Active Users
    • View Profile

Cheers!

use for 3dsmax 2015 it's compatible
same as 2013 for 2014

2015-07-20, 10:57:49
Reply #230

romullus

• Global Moderator
  • Active Users
  • Let's move this topic, shall we?
    • View Profile
    • My Models
Hey Ondra, is faster SSS still planed for 1.2 release?
I'm not Corona Team member. Everything i say, is my personal opinion only.
My Models | My Videos | My Pictures

2015-07-20, 11:28:36
Reply #231

juang3d

• Active Users
    • View Profile
use for 3dsmax 2015 it's compatible
same as 2013 for 2014

I know but the 2016 files have a different name, so I'm not sure they are exactly the same since in this case I would have to manually remove the files from the 2016 folder to place the 2015 files.

Cheers.

2015-07-20, 12:09:17
Reply #232

Ondra

• Administrator
  • Active Users
  • Turning coffee to features since 2009
    • View Profile

Cheers!
2015 is compatible with 2016... but does not have physical camera. So ok, I will start making separate 2016 dailies from now on.

Hey Ondra, is faster SSS still planed for 1.2 release?

Not the originally planned improvement, but some improvements will be there.

And what about the old scenes that was set up with keyframed sun position wired to environment map? New build totally breaks this scenes.

I will try to add conversion of keyframed values

Rendering is magic.How to get minidumps for crashed/frozen 3ds Max | Sorry for short replies, brief responses = more time to develop Corona ;)

2015-07-21, 19:58:54
Reply #233

Ondra

• Administrator
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
Rendering is magic.How to get minidumps for crashed/frozen 3ds Max | Sorry for short replies, brief responses = more time to develop Corona ;)

2015-07-23, 00:13:31
Reply #234

ihabkal

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Thanks Rawalanche for the tip
I came here to complain about the new sun. The old sun was one of the deciding factor in leaving Vray for Corona, as I found it easy to change the sun on the fly while previewing the real time render. it made lightning so easy and I could do micro management of the shadows.

2015-07-23, 03:16:00
Reply #235

ihabkal

• Active Users
    • View Profile
could we have both sun systems?

2015-07-23, 07:37:50
Reply #236

fobus

• Active Users
    • View Profile

+1

We'll have to stick with 1.1 to have all our scenes working well, because new sun totally breaks it.

2015-07-23, 09:41:59
Reply #237

Ondra

• Administrator
  • Active Users
    • View Profile

+1

We'll have to stick with 1.1 to have all our scenes working well, because new sun totally breaks it.

even with the latest daily? Can you send me simplified example that is not imported correctly?

2015-07-23, 11:23:52
Reply #238

fobus

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Even opening scene leads to crash with latest build. Scene attached with minidump.

2015-07-23, 12:03:08
Reply #239

Ondra

• Administrator
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
Even opening scene leads to crash with latest build. Scene attached with minidump.

It does not crash here, and I cannot analyze the minidump. Have you tried other 3dsmax versions? Could you try it with 2016 (even demo) and send me the minidump? Or does it crash for anybody else?