Author Topic: Daily Builds 1.0 - 1.4  (Read 244758 times)

2015-05-29, 12:23:46
Reply #60

romullus

• Global Moderator
  • Active Users
  • Let's move this topic, shall we?
    • View Profile
    • My Models
I find new CoronBitmap too much buggy at the moment.

bugs:

1. map previews renders incorrect. Inverted in V axis and doesn't display tiling.
2. sperical maps loading and rendering completely wrong (see attachement).
3. enviroment mode swith seems doesn't work at all.

missing features / improvements:

1. map rotation is missing
2. doesn't trigger "open file" dialog on map creation
3. "open file" dialog is opening in last visited place instead of where actual bitmap is located.
4. ability to copy/paste bitmap is missing.
5. tiling is working differently than in 3ds max bitmap loader. Although i quite like it, but it's not very convenient to copy/paste settings.
6. CoronaBitmap doesn't display in viewport background preview.
« Last Edit: 2015-05-29, 12:39:17 by romullus »
I'm not Corona Team member. Everything i say, is my personal opinion only.
My Models | My Videos | My Pictures

2015-05-29, 12:34:50
Reply #61

Thom Coffee

• Users
    • View Profile
Last build has caused me problems with Forestpro plugin. Does not render and freezes 3dsmax. I went back to the previous version, and everything is ok.

2015-05-29, 12:42:13
Reply #62

maru

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
  • Marcin
    • View Profile
I was about to write what Romullus just posted. Plus this. The only difference is corona bitmap vs standard bitmap, no other changes done. Looks like it is displayed wrong in preview slots and uvw editor.
Marcin Miodek | chaos-corona.com
3D Support Team Lead - Corona | contact us

2015-05-29, 13:07:59
Reply #63

romullus

• Global Moderator
  • Active Users
  • Let's move this topic, shall we?
    • View Profile
    • My Models

• Better error reporting - non-obtrusive, non-blocking, can be disabled.

How this supposed to work? I intentionally trigered max  crash, but didn't notice any changes in  error message.

BTW, it seems like CoronaBitmap has cured photoshop editing issue. Need more testing to be sure, though.
I'm not Corona Team member. Everything i say, is my personal opinion only.
My Models | My Videos | My Pictures

2015-05-29, 13:25:39
Reply #64

Ondra

• Administrator
  • Active Users
  • Turning coffee to features since 2009
    • View Profile
I know it's very too early to tell something, but these are my first impressions about corona bitmap:
-absolutely faster than max bitmap, as diffuse/bump map and as environment map, good work!;
-need preview in viewport....
-need (as fast as you can ;) ) Real-world scale
-used as env, it is horizontal flipped respect max map, it's not practical...
-need rotation on axis, most of all Z
-if map path name is too long, you can't read map name
-I often use right mouse click on bitmap preview in mat editor to edit it with photoshop, but maybe I'm the only one...
-have I already said that we need real world scale? ;P

regards

hi, can you create a thread in feature request section for this?

edit: romulus: same thing, please create a separate thread for each problem/suggestion
Rendering is magic.How to get minidumps for crashed/frozen 3ds Max | Sorry for short replies, brief responses = more time to develop Corona ;)

2015-05-29, 13:29:03
Reply #65

Ondra

• Administrator
  • Active Users
    • View Profile

• Better error reporting - non-obtrusive, non-blocking, can be disabled.

How this supposed to work? I intentionally trigered max  crash, but didn't notice any changes in  error message.

BTW, it seems like CoronaBitmap has cured photoshop editing issue. Need more testing to be sure, though.

It's for user errors like double sun, wrong shadows type on 3dsmax lights, etc.

as for photoshop editing issues: yes, we designed it to be photoshop-proof from the beginning, so it should never, ever, ever, ever crash, and you should be able to paint textures in real time using interactive rendering
Rendering is magic.How to get minidumps for crashed/frozen 3ds Max | Sorry for short replies, brief responses = more time to develop Corona ;)

2015-05-29, 13:39:15
Reply #66

hubrobin

• Active Users
  • Light transport ninja
    • View Profile
Hey guys,

Thanks for all of the feedback on CoronaBitmap! I'm the one responsible for it from now on. Hope I will be able to incorporate most of your bug reports/suggestions till early next week.

Robin

2015-05-29, 14:10:46
Reply #67

pokoy

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Hi Robin!

It seems you want to have CoronaBitmap being both a common Texture map and an Environment map - I'd like to ask you to divide these into separate map types.
With a dedicated Environment Map you could ideally add arbitrary rotations (so non-Vray users finally can rotate in horizontal and vertical direction) and probably, gamma value (very useful for obtaining harder shadows when the dynamic range of the hdr map isn't sufficient), and different mapping types (cylindric, spherical etc).

2015-05-29, 14:23:50
Reply #68

arqrenderz

• Active Users
  • https://www.behance.net/Arqrenderz1
    • View Profile
    • arqrenderz
Will it be able to change gamma settings on hdr  and exr files ?
And can it be the "deafult" bitmap loader dor max, I mean i usually just drag and drop a map from the second screen (its much faster thatn selecting every time corona bitmap)

2015-05-29, 15:05:08
Reply #69

Ondra

• Administrator
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
Hi Robin!

It seems you want to have CoronaBitmap being both a common Texture map and an Environment map - I'd like to ask you to divide these into separate map types.
With a dedicated Environment Map you could ideally add arbitrary rotations (so non-Vray users finally can rotate in horizontal and vertical direction) and probably, gamma value (very useful for obtaining harder shadows when the dynamic range of the hdr map isn't sufficient), and different mapping types (cylindric, spherical etc).

one of the biggest reasons we did separate map in UI was to avoid this - you can set up everything without switching between geometry and enviro. We even added note about the rotation. We are working on adding tone mapping

2015-05-29, 15:05:26
Reply #70

Ondra

• Administrator
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
BTW: Anyone have any real results to compare speed before/after?

2015-05-29, 15:07:12
Reply #71

racoonart

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • racoon-artworks
Cathedral scene:
9% speedup calculated from Rays/s total
18% speedup when calculated from rendertime (fixed amount of passes)
Any sufficiently advanced bug is indistinguishable from a feature.

2015-05-29, 15:27:49
Reply #72

Alessandro

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • DotLab Srl
I know it's very too early to tell something, but these are my first impressions about corona bitmap:
-absolutely faster than max bitmap, as diffuse/bump map and as environment map, good work!;
-need preview in viewport....
-need (as fast as you can ;) ) Real-world scale
-used as env, it is horizontal flipped respect max map, it's not practical...
-need rotation on axis, most of all Z
-if map path name is too long, you can't read map name
-I often use right mouse click on bitmap preview in mat editor to edit it with photoshop, but maybe I'm the only one...
-have I already said that we need real world scale? ;P

regards

hi, can you create a thread in feature request section for this?

edit: romulus: same thing, please create a separate thread for each problem/suggestion

Done: https://forum.corona-renderer.com/index.php/topic,8242.0.html
My Ducati or a render with Corona.....mmm, hard question!

2015-05-29, 15:28:14
Reply #73

pokoy

• Active Users
    • View Profile
one of the biggest reasons we did separate map in UI was to avoid this - you can set up everything without switching between geometry and enviro. We even added note about the rotation. We are working on adding tone mapping
Sorry then, I should probably first test it before commenting.

2015-05-29, 17:22:54
Reply #74

johan belmans

• Primary Certified Instructor
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
    • belly.be
Hey guys,

Thanks for all of the feedback on CoronaBitmap! I'm the one responsible for it from now on. Hope I will be able to incorporate most of your bug reports/suggestions till early next week.

Robin

By the way Robin,

welcome to out Coronanauts community!

See you at the EUE