Author Topic: CoronaDecals playground!  (Read 36400 times)

2021-10-16, 02:14:54
Reply #15

marchik

• Active Users
    • View Profile
if I understand it right as "the displacement from decal should be added on top of the original displacement, not replace it", that is very easy to do, and can be added as a mode

I think there's too much ambiguity in the words "on top" and "replace", so i draw some picture. What i, and i think many others, expected from decals, that it could work like in a, b and c examples. a - only decal is mapped, b - only target is mapped and c - both are mapped (i'm talking only about displacement here). Currently we have a and b, but not c.

I think some people also asked for d - where displacements are mathematically added through some blend modes. This can be useful in some cases, but i think it's not crucial to have it right now.

C is how it was always supposed to look, if it does not, that means a bug got in at some point and we will fix it.
D would still be doable if requested

I think D case with simple addition in Screen or Add mode will be essential in the cases that I showed above in video, when a decal with a small displacement in the form of e.g. moss is layed on a surface with a strong displacement, for example, rocks

at the moment I'm trying to issue a request for a modifier for custom geometry, which I wrote about in the main discussion topic of daily builds, but so far I've been overwhelmed with work)

2021-10-16, 10:44:23
Reply #16

romullus

• Global Moderator
  • Active Users
  • Let's move this topic, shall we?
    • View Profile
    • My Models
C is how it was always supposed to look, if it does not, that means a bug got in at some point and we will fix it.
D would still be doable if requested

That's great news! I'm looking forward for displacement issues to be fixed and method D introduced when/if possible.
I'm not Corona Team member. Everything i say, is my personal opinion only.
My Models | My Videos | My Pictures

2021-10-16, 12:23:49
Reply #17

burnin

• Active Users
    • View Profile
So is now parallax mapping also considered?

2021-10-17, 15:19:42
Reply #18

romullus

• Global Moderator
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
    • My Models
All the footprints are decals scattered with Corona scatter. There's a thousand of them, lots of overlapping, yet no visible signs of artifacts from displacement. Performance drops quite significantly, but still stays at acceptable level.  So far, i'm impressed.
« Last Edit: 2021-10-17, 22:12:51 by romullus »

2021-10-17, 15:36:03
Reply #19

aaouviz

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • Another Angle 3D
All the footprints are decals scattered with Corona scatter. There's a thousand of them, lots of overlapping, yet no visible signs of artifacts from displacement. Performance drops quite significantly, but still stays at acceptable level.  So far, i'm impressed.

Very cool and very promising.

Footprints! Such a good use of this new feature, I'm excited to see what else the community comes up with :)
Nicolas Pratt
Another Angle 3D
https://www.instagram.com/anotherangle3d/

2021-10-17, 15:44:13
Reply #20

NicolasC

• Primary Certified Instructor
  • Active Users
  • CG supervisor / teacher / artist
    • View Profile
Very nice and smart example, Romullus ! I love it :)
Nicolas Caplat
CG supervisor / teacher / artist

2021-10-17, 22:12:17
Reply #21

romullus

• Global Moderator
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
    • My Models
Hopefully someone else will join the party - playing with decals is seriously fun :] Here's another one from me - lazy house. Just a box with bricks material and windows decals scattered on top. I was pleasantly surprised to find that even AO works with decals (dirt leaks under windows).

2021-10-17, 23:11:18
Reply #22

burnin

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Right on - so many holes :D (why I asked, if parallax mapping is considered now)

How about vector displaced decal w/ light/emission material inside? Does that work?

'tis gonna be a whole another level

2021-10-18, 08:11:52
Reply #23

marchik

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Decal matrerial contains full set of maps including color/rough/normal? or you somehow made Corona to use only displacement channel?

2021-10-18, 10:37:34
Reply #24

romullus

• Global Moderator
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
    • My Models
Yes, decals are mapped with the same texture set as ground material, only displacement map is unique.

or you somehow made Corona to use only displacement channel?

There was loophole to do exactly that in the first build, but unfortunately it was fixed in the latest daily.

2021-10-18, 10:40:45
Reply #25

romullus

• Global Moderator
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
    • My Models
How about vector displaced decal w/ light/emission material inside? Does that work?

Didn't try it myself, but i've heard that light material and self illumination are working with decals just fine. I wouldn't be too much surprised to find that vector displacement is possible too :]

2021-10-18, 16:18:19
Reply #26

marchik

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Yes, decals are mapped with the same texture set as ground material, only displacement map is unique.

or you somehow made Corona to use only displacement channel?

There was loophole to do exactly that in the first build, but unfortunately it was fixed in the latest daily.
but i think in some cases there will be problems with texture coordinates with this approach if not using triplanar) i think we need to make a request for "displacement only" option

2021-10-18, 16:53:56
Reply #27

romullus

• Global Moderator
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
    • My Models
I'm agree with you. Option to project selected maps is already requested and acknowledged by the team.

2021-10-18, 17:25:04
Reply #28

lupaz

• Active Users
    • View Profile
if I understand it right as "the displacement from decal should be added on top of the original displacement, not replace it", that is very easy to do, and can be added as a mode

Wow! This would be a great improvement over the layered material, which AFAIK cannot do that.

Very exciting to see the examples Romulus!

2021-10-20, 17:32:36
Reply #29

Dionysios.TS

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • Evolvia Imaging

Wow, I am impressed too!
Due to the DR's problems during the last releases, I still can't install the last daily build for production. Can't wait to put my hands on it! :D

Thanks for your efforts as always.

Dionysios -