Author Topic: Max 2019 Fluids - add rendering mode like Arnold Surface  (Read 9837 times)

2018-05-18, 15:13:30

pokoy

• Active Users
    • View Profile
So after playing with Fluids in Max a bit it's obvious that the current meshing solution takes a lot of time to generate and display and eats up HD space. There's a mode that sends the particles directly to Arnold without having to generate and cache the mesh.
Would it be possible to have something similar for Corona, so if you choose to render Arnold Surfaces Corona would be able to pick up the particle data and generate the mesh at rendertime?

2018-05-22, 13:45:56
Reply #1

maru

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
  • Marcin
    • View Profile
I do not think there is much interest in 3ds Max fluids (?) so I guess the recommended solution will be to use FumeFX/Phoenix/OpenVDB instead.
Marcin Miodek | chaos-corona.com
3D Support Team Lead - Corona | contact us

2018-06-06, 16:54:56
Reply #2

pokoy

• Active Users
    • View Profile
I can't say how much work it would be and if the fluids API allows it, but as far as integration goes, you absolutely should attempt to support built-in features as tightly as possible. If it's a technical limitation - OK that's understandable, but if it's doable then consider me disappointed if this is your/the company's actual attitude.

2018-06-06, 17:27:44
Reply #3

PROH

• Active Users
    • View Profile
One thing is for sure: The interest for 3dsMax fluid won't grow amongst Corona users, if Corona doesn't support it. I for one, would like expect Corona to support this feature, as well as all other built-in features.

Totally agree with pokoy here.

2018-06-06, 17:45:57
Reply #4

Frood

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • Rakete GmbH
I do not think there is much interest in 3ds Max fluids (?)

You never asked :)

Good Luck

Never underestimate the power of a well placed level one spell.

2018-06-23, 10:05:55
Reply #5

vkiuru

• Active Users
    • View Profile
+1 for better integration for fluids.

2018-06-29, 10:58:24
Reply #6

Christa Noel

• Active Users
  • God bless us everyone
    • View Profile
    • dionch.studio
its been a long time for me not rendering some fluid things.
+1, for support this built in feature

2018-07-02, 15:54:06
Reply #7

Ondra

• Administrator
  • Active Users
  • Turning coffee to features since 2009
    • View Profile
if the fluids API
but there is no fluids API... :(

We asked Autodesk for fluids API, but the architecture is very Arnold-specific, so no API and no 3rd party renderers support.  You can help us by contacting autodesk and expressing your desire to use fluids with Corona. We already did ask, unsuccessfully :(
Rendering is magic.How to get minidumps for crashed/frozen 3ds Max | Sorry for short replies, brief responses = more time to develop Corona ;)

2018-07-02, 19:33:48
Reply #8

pokoy

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Noted - will raise my voice. Not that I expect something to happen ;) Thanks!

2018-07-02, 23:19:44
Reply #9

romullus

• Global Moderator
  • Active Users
  • Let's move this topic, shall we?
    • View Profile
    • My Models
We asked Autodesk for fluids API, but the architecture is very Arnold-specific, so no API and no 3rd party renderers support.  You can help us by contacting autodesk and expressing your desire to use fluids with Corona. We already did ask, unsuccessfully :(

I don't understand, is there any logic in their attitude? Arguably 3ds max is still alive because of huge amount of 3rd-party plug-ins, so why autodesk treats 3rd-party developers as their enemies?
I'm not Corona Team member. Everything i say, is my personal opinion only.
My Models | My Videos | My Pictures

2018-07-03, 02:33:38
Reply #10

cecofuli

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • www.francescolegrenzi.com

2018-07-03, 14:00:40
Reply #11

Ondra

• Administrator
  • Active Users
  • Turning coffee to features since 2009
    • View Profile
I know some details behind this and it seems the decision is technical, not business. I am not sure if I am allowed to share details
Rendering is magic.How to get minidumps for crashed/frozen 3ds Max | Sorry for short replies, brief responses = more time to develop Corona ;)

2018-07-03, 15:04:37
Reply #12

romullus

• Global Moderator
  • Active Users
  • Let's move this topic, shall we?
    • View Profile
    • My Models
But it's not the case where fluids existed long time before third-party renderers, it's the other way round. When autodesk was integrating fluids into 3ds max, they knew that other renderers will want to fully support it. I think that it had to be deliberate decision to make its integration crippled. It looks very typical for that company.
I'm not Corona Team member. Everything i say, is my personal opinion only.
My Models | My Videos | My Pictures

2021-04-21, 18:37:57
Reply #13

arqrenderz

• Active Users
  • https://www.behance.net/Arqrenderz1
    • View Profile
    • arqrenderz
Hi, i know its an old topic but i was trying 3dsmax Fluids (yeah it comes free with max, other solutions cost more money ) but corona (6.1 and max 2021.3) wont even start rendering, so i guess this topic has not progressed?? any one know a not so pricy fluid solver? best if it has a perpetual license!
Thx to all

2021-04-21, 18:53:54
Reply #14

pokoy

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Max fluids should work, you may have to specify that the mesher outputs a mesh, not an Arnold type of implicit surface. As far as I know foam is only available in Arnold, but not sure.
In any case, it worked the last time I tried.