Author Topic: Problem with Lights Kelvin and VFB White Balance  (Read 35534 times)

2016-10-13, 13:06:39
Reply #15

DKulakov

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Any explanation will be given to whether???

2016-10-15, 15:38:22
Reply #16

Nik

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • HQ Details
Comparsion of Corona 1.5 daily vs 1.5 release is attached
« Last Edit: 2016-10-15, 20:45:05 by nik684 »

2016-10-15, 16:28:31
Reply #17

Juraj

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • studio website
That's not looking good at all.

Please follow my new Instagram for latest projects, tips&tricks, short video tutorials and free models
Behance  Probably best updated portfolio of my work
lysfaere.com Please check the new stuff!

2016-10-15, 19:15:19
Reply #18

alexyork

• Active Users
  • Partner at Recent Spaces
    • View Profile
    • RECENT SPACES
Hope this can be squashed in the next couple of weeks. We're planning on upgrading our pipe to 1.5 as soon as some large jobs are out of the way but this looks like a show-stopper to me. Hopefully relatively simple to sort...
Alex York
Partner
RECENT SPACES
recentspaces.com

2016-10-17, 16:04:23
Reply #19

Dionysios.TS

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • Evolvia Imaging
That's not looking good at all.

Guys, are you ok? (dev team) Any news here??? This is an important issue and would be nice to know what you think about it.

Thanks,

Dionysios -

2016-10-17, 16:06:33
Reply #20

chopmeister

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • Polymachine
I can confirm the same issue. I have literally hundreds of files with furniture product shots, which now render in a completely different tone than in 1.4. Which means I have to revert our whole render farm back to 1.4 now because I have no time to second guess and try adjusting more than a thousand images to look the same as the ones we already sent out.

I just rendered one and for a moment I thought I was crazy, then I found this thread...

2016-10-17, 16:10:37
Reply #21

Dionysios.TS

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • Evolvia Imaging
I can confirm the same issue. I have literally hundreds of files with furniture product shots, which now render in a completely different tone than in 1.4. Which means I have to revert our whole render farm back to 1.4 now because I have no time to second guess and try adjusting more than a thousand images to look the same as the ones we already sent out.

I just rendered one and for a moment I thought I was crazy, then I found this thread...

Is good to know I am not the only crazy here but more people are producing these results.
Something is worong in general with the White Balance + Tone Mapping process.

2016-10-17, 16:16:25
Reply #22

Nik

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • HQ Details
I don't know when Ondra will post a message here, so I dare to copy some of his answers from Skype.

[2016.10.15 17:10:09]
me: Ondra, hi.
Many people still waiting for any explanation of this behavior.

ondra.karlik: it was already explained, color correct is now applied after highlight compress. Not sure if we want to change the behavior again (back to 1.4)

me: https://forum.corona-renderer.com/index.php/topic,13377.15.html
This topic needs for your attention.
Users want Corona tonemapping to be perfect as before. LUTs are nice, but WB is more important

ondra.karlik: we will discuss it internally next week

So we're all can sit back and relax for a while. Maybe it will be fixed. Maybe not

2016-10-17, 16:25:10
Reply #23

chopmeister

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • Polymachine
Oh... Well, given a choice I'd prefer it to just be the same as before. If we have to lose LUTs or something because of that - so be it, since otherwise this would mean none of the god-knows-how-many scenes I've done in the last year or so won't render correctly anymore. And that's a mess of epic proportions, for me at least. I have to go back to finished projects for some new angles and whatnot quite often.

2016-10-17, 16:27:12
Reply #24

alexyork

• Active Users
  • Partner at Recent Spaces
    • View Profile
    • RECENT SPACES
Oh... Well, given a choice I'd prefer it to just be the same as before. If we have to lose LUTs or something because of that - so be it, since otherwise this would mean none of the god-knows-how-many scenes I've done in the last year or so won't render correctly anymore. And that's a mess of epic proportions, for me at least. I have to go back to finished projects for some new angles and whatnot quite often.

For what it's worth we are in the same boat, as are many I would guess. We're very often revisiting old projects when clients want new images etc. We need to ensure that we can open and re-render with minimal if any differences. Hopefully this is a relatively simple fix by way of a switch or warning when you open a max file saved in anything earlier than 1.5 final with a conversion available if needed.
Alex York
Partner
RECENT SPACES
recentspaces.com

2016-10-17, 16:29:07
Reply #25

Juraj

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • studio website
It probably could be adjusted because in VFB+, I could have LUT, Tonemapping and WhiteBalance working correctly at same time, neither clamping each other.

Currently the WB is rendered unusable, because only no WB (6500/White) renders correct image. Everything else is like white-balancing clamped jpeg.

I don't see why this is LUT vs WB, both can work correctly together just fine, as illustrated by VFB+ .
Please follow my new Instagram for latest projects, tips&tricks, short video tutorials and free models

2016-10-17, 16:32:39
Reply #26

Dionysios.TS

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • Evolvia Imaging
I don't know when Ondra will post a message here, so I dare to copy some of his answers from Skype.

[2016.10.15 17:10:09]
me: Ondra, hi.
Many people still waiting for any explanation of this behavior.

ondra.karlik: it was already explained, color correct is now applied after highlight compress. Not sure if we want to change the behavior again (back to 1.4)

me: https://forum.corona-renderer.com/index.php/topic,13377.15.html
This topic needs for your attention.
Users want Corona tonemapping to be perfect as before. LUTs are nice, but WB is more important

ondra.karlik: we will discuss it internally next week

So we're all can sit back and relax for a while. Maybe it will be fixed. Maybe not

Thanks for the info I hope they can resolve in a way some things here. Other engines offer better tone mapping controls for now and I hope this issue will be taken seriously.
« Last Edit: 2016-10-17, 16:37:09 by Dionysios.TS »

2016-10-17, 16:35:43
Reply #27

Nik

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • HQ Details
It's not just a problem of backward compatibility anymore.
In brand new scenes user can't get good tonecompressed image with low white balance. There is no way to do that in 1.5 release.
Thanx god I have 9-23 build with all nice features without this one :)

...only no WB (6500/White) renders correct image. Everything else is like white-balancing clamped jpeg.
Exactly

2016-10-17, 16:43:03
Reply #28

Juraj

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • studio website
Still kind of odd the order of actions would affect it to this point. Does tonemapping clamp completely ? With CameraRaw you use WB on partially compressed raw files (they're not linear) and it works fine, the dynamic range is there.

I know that with VFB+, I could use filmic+lut+wb and still retain dynamic range for post-production (lot of stops actually). So I could use another WB and exposure adjustments again in CameraRaw.

2016-10-17, 16:49:59
Reply #29

Nik

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • HQ Details
Only devs can explain what's going on in post in 1.5. It's really odd.
I'm sure they will make right decision and bring back old proper behaviour, otherwise Tonemapping in Corona will be anti-feature.
I refuse to believe that this is possible :)