Author Topic: FREE exercise scene in 3ds max and Corona  (Read 10078 times)

2019-05-20, 15:01:12

evalery

• Active Users
  • play more
    • View Profile
    • evnvis
Hi guys,

This is a practice/exercise scene I made after a reference photo I found on instagram and I'm posting it for free. I focused mostly on the lighting, used corona portals, corona sun, corona lights and light materials. Also focused on metal materials, used corona layered materials and AO maps as masks.

You can find the link to download here:

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1u3bd3tzRvX0ZUWtXDP5SuCQ6o8Yxjxpa?usp=sharing

The folder contains the 3ds max file, the maps, the marvelous designer files, the reference pics and the final render and renders passes. If you have any questions please let me know.

Thanks,

Cheers

Elena V Miller

2019-05-20, 16:41:54
Reply #1

maru

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
  • Marcin
    • View Profile
What is the exact license for this scene and all assets used in it? (models, textures, etc)
Can they be showcased, distributed, sold free of charge? What is the required credit?
Marcin Miodek | chaos-corona.com
3D Support Team Lead - Corona | contact us

2019-05-20, 17:48:13
Reply #2

evalery

• Active Users
  • play more
    • View Profile
    • evnvis
Hi Maru,

Thanks for your message. I modeled this scene entirely, all models and textures made by me, maps used only royalty free pics and a few from textures.com and some I created in photoshop.

Also forgot to mention the hdri from HDRIhaven:

https://hdrihaven.com/hdri/?c=indoor&h=cayley_interior

Hope this answers your question.

Thanks!
Elena V Miller

2019-05-20, 18:04:42
Reply #3

evalery

• Active Users
  • play more
    • View Profile
    • evnvis
this is the wire render
Elena V Miller

2019-08-14, 16:57:59
Reply #4

jamieirvin

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • Infinite3D
Hi,

I found this post via a recently-revived threat regarding forum politics and saw your post about your free scene not getting much attention/response. 

First I think you have done a nice job of recreating the original photo and this must have served as a great exercise in focussing on detail, lighting and texture work.  Given that the forum has a mixed user base, I would suggest providing an export option that can be used across a range of modelling packages (.obj, .FBX).  I use C4D and noticed there is only a Max file available.  This could broaden your audience and give others the opportunity to replicate the exercise you undertook, using your model as the starting point.

If you're open to feedback, there are a couple of aspects that, if tweaked, could bring you closer to the photo.  You seem to have done a great job on the modelling and the lighting is nice, however a few of the shaders could do with some attention just to bring them in line with the rest of the image. 

The white crockery seems over-bright... What is your diffuse white value?  There is almost no ambient occlusion between the plates for example.  It's appears as though the shader is allowing too much bounce light in these areas.  I would suggest setting your whites to 70%.

Your chrome material (tap) and metallic shader (buckets top-right) also appear to have a bright diffuse.  i normally suggest these be set to black (or close enough) and let the reflections to all the work.  Set the IOR to about 5-10 and you'll see a real depth in your reflections.   i also think the glossiness map on the buckets could be knocked back a bit to offer more subtlety in the reflections here. The buckets on the left are a lot more successful in my opinion

lastly, the glass shader appears to lack depth.  Try incorporating some very subtle volumetrics and maybe chuck in the new caustics solver... takes a wee bit longer but really pings glass to life. 

Anyway, that is my two-pennies worth and hope some of that helps, even just a bit. 

let me know if you decide to export an OBJ file, I'd love to have a play with this scene.  It's the perfect subject for a 'monthly render challenge'.  I used to run a twitter challenge with an untextured scene to see what people came back with for a bit of fun and practice.  Would be nice to do something like that again... it's been a while.

J

Core 3 HF2 - C4D R19 - OSX 10.13.2 - 64GB RAM

2019-08-15, 23:40:10
Reply #5

evalery

• Active Users
  • play more
    • View Profile
    • evnvis
Hi Jamie,

thanks so much for this feedback, i appreciate your response. I'm so happy somebody actually understands the sort of thing i did, it's great.

Hi,

First I think you have done a nice job of recreating the original photo and this must have served as a great exercise in focussing on detail, lighting and texture work.  Given that the forum has a mixed user base, I would suggest providing an export option that can be used across a range of modelling packages (.obj, .FBX).  I use C4D and noticed there is only a Max file available.  This could broaden your audience and give others the opportunity to replicate the exercise you undertook, using your model as the starting point.

["Anyway, that is my two-pennies worth and hope some of that helps, even just a bit. 

let me know if you decide to export an OBJ file, I'd love to have a play with this scene.  It's the perfect subject for a 'monthly render challenge'.  I used to run a twitter challenge with an untextured scene to see what people came back with for a bit of fun and practice.  Would be nice to do something like that again... it's been a while.

J

Absolutely, please find the obj files at this link:

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1s4Zyxsfq8ED_QugM6Au7YbiXTkGj8l2u?usp=sharing

..the cutlery models were a bit destroyed (initially made them in 2014 version and imported them in 2018 with allthe stacks), anyway, i think the model is not clean at all so i tried to re-export them separately.

["If you're open to feedback, there are a couple of aspects that, if tweaked, could bring you closer to the photo.  You seem to have done a great job on the modelling and the lighting is nice, however a few of the shaders could do with some attention just to bring them in line with the rest of the image. " ]

I am open to feedback, of course! Yes, I agree, I didn't pay much attention to all the materials, for the crockery I actually used corona built-in material. I worked a lot on the metal materials especially at the ambient occlusion bit but I ended up by overcomplicating them. Initially, I looked at the corona tutorials on youtube for metal, layered old metals and i started from there.

Also i think one of the problems is that i've absolutely destroyed it in post... if you look at the raw render it doesn't have quite the right light so, i thought maybe i boost the contrast in post which kind of wrecked my white materials...

true, my IOR was way too high indeed

["lastly, the glass shader appears to lack depth.  Try incorporating some very subtle volumetrics and maybe chuck in the new caustics solver... takes a wee bit longer but really pings glass to life. "]

If you look at my other posts (in the "i need help" section), i also had a play with caustics on different scenes, more experimental stuff, abstract or rather odd but I would like to render this one with the new caustics, it could maybe look cool, it's just i didn't have time at all to get back to it.

you know this is definitely very precious feedback for me, i absolutely love your idea with the render challenges! Please, by all means, you can use this scene for this sort of thing! I love challenges! usually participate, actually,(ok, so a bit of bragging...) my first successful one was evermotion 2015, when i won the second place with my ballerina loft :)

Also I'm very curious to try/learn cinema 4d because of its physics and dynamics. I'm super struggling to create similar stuff in 3ds max but it's quite complicated and it takes ages to learn more although i use max from 2011, physics and particles are not very intuitive... anyway

thanks so much for the feedback
cheers,
V

Elena V Miller

2019-09-19, 16:22:44
Reply #6

jamieirvin

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • Infinite3D
Hey,

So I am finally getting around to downloading your scene that your kindly posted and I'm going to give it a go myself when I get a few spare minutes between the chaos at work.  It's a great one to have a play with as there is a nice range of materials and intricate details to experiment on.

I saw your ballerina loft and that piece of work was fantastic.  I loved all the effort put in to create the smallest of details such as the shoes and the paint on the jar... It's a perfectionist's feast!  🤓

I'll send you the result of my efforts when I get an image done and it would be fun to do a challenge in the future as I rarely get the chance any more.  It's all work work work.... 🙄

Core 3 HF2 - C4D R19 - OSX 10.13.2 - 64GB RAM

2019-09-22, 21:41:19
Reply #7

evalery

• Active Users
  • play more
    • View Profile
    • evnvis
I'll send you the result of my efforts when I get an image done and it would be fun to do a challenge in the future as I rarely get the chance any more.  It's all work work work.... 🙄

Thanks Jamie,
it would nice to do a challenge yes. I know how you feel, when you work too much it kind of cuts off the joy of actually work just for fun:(( but yes, no worries
cheers,
V
Elena V Miller