Author Topic: Threadripper & Ryzen only builds (3rd Gen starts on page 50)  (Read 520119 times)

2020-02-26, 05:44:56
Reply #930

RPanizzon

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • Ryan Panizzon Visualisation

Threadripper 3990x
G Skill Trident 128gb DDR4 3600mhz C16
Gigabyte Aorus Master TRX40

Hey Ryan,

Does it run fully stable at 3600/CL16 ? This is 8x16GB right ?

Yes Juraj, it seems to be stable so far. 8x16gb running full speed now I turned on XMP Profile in BIOS. I’ll be rendering on it a few hours tomorrow and will post if I find any issues!

I would try running something like memtest for a few hours to double check stability. Actually trying running a demanding game as I've had games crash a system due to unstable memory timings even after running memtest for 5+ hours with zero errors (others have found the same on various OC'ing forums). Interestingly rendering doesn't seem to tax memory as hard as gaming, so you could techically be running an unstable memory OC and not even know it (until a problem rares it's head right when you don't want it to on a critical overnight render).

I would suggest using Ryzen Dram calculator + Typhoon burner to hone in on rock solid settings. For me the 3600mhz CL17 XMP settings appeared stable at first (128gb kit), but then I would get random app crashes, and confirmed with memory errors after 5 minutes of memtest. After manually inputting the tweaked Ryzen DRAM settings for Hynix DJR into the bios I have better than XMP timings and am fully stable in memtest, games and rendering.

Okay, I tried running DRAM Calculator 1.7.0 with my spec but it says "Error: Not Supported!"
I've attached the info. Any suggestions?

Thanks
Web: www.ryanpanizzon.com
Insta: @ryanpanizzon

2020-02-26, 10:25:31
Reply #931

Jpjapers

• Active Users
    • View Profile
I've now tested the 3990X across quite a lot of my scenes, and found following to be interesting from looking up at Distributed rendering numbers. My farm is made up or 2698v4 xeon nodes and 2990WXs.

The 3990X is very consistent, the ratio with 2698v4 Xeon node is almost constant. Whereas 2990WX is fluctuating by a lot in ratio with 2698v4, sometimes beating it by more than 30perc. (like it should) and sometimes getting on the same level.
I am not sure what exactly is the cause of fluctuating performance of 2990WX in regards to scene features of Corona ( So I mean the Corona side, not the NUMA nodes and half-bandwidth access to them ), but it's no longer the case with 3990X.

The performance of 3990X is always exactly where it should be, be it simple or complex scene. When 2990WX came out, I found the reviewers bashing the decision to connect only two dies to memory controller to be far too harsh, but judging back, that was really poor decision on AMD's part, and it's questionable whether they needed to do it, or it was intentional crippling  to not cannibalize Epyc.

But the 3rd gen are flawless products, what Zen should have been from beginning. Can't even foresee what Zen3 will bring (since I think they're skipping Zen2+ right?).

This is the best review for a cpu i think ive ever seen lol

2020-02-26, 13:33:21
Reply #932

Vuk

• Active Users
    • View Profile
I've now tested the 3990X across quite a lot of my scenes, and found following to be interesting from looking up at Distributed rendering numbers. My farm is made up or 2698v4 xeon nodes and 2990WXs.

The 3990X is very consistent, the ratio with 2698v4 Xeon node is almost constant. Whereas 2990WX is fluctuating by a lot in ratio with 2698v4, sometimes beating it by more than 30perc. (like it should) and sometimes getting on the same level.
I am not sure what exactly is the cause of fluctuating performance of 2990WX in regards to scene features of Corona ( So I mean the Corona side, not the NUMA nodes and half-bandwidth access to them ), but it's no longer the case with 3990X.

The performance of 3990X is always exactly where it should be, be it simple or complex scene. When 2990WX came out, I found the reviewers bashing the decision to connect only two dies to memory controller to be far too harsh, but judging back, that was really poor decision on AMD's part, and it's questionable whether they needed to do it, or it was intentional crippling  to not cannibalize Epyc.

But the 3rd gen are flawless products, what Zen should have been from beginning. Can't even foresee what Zen3 will bring (since I think they're skipping Zen2+ right?).

Seems that the 3990x is a completely viable solution as a node in stock mode with a Noctua cooler. I actually thought of this in the past few days. My 3970x is faster then the dual 24C platinums I have in the farm. The difference in speed seems to differ from scene to scene so it is not linear. Scenes that are heavy and take time to load seem to open much faster on the 3970x thus giving it the initial advantage. So far I have noticed differences in speed in DR rendering ( Initial scene started from another machine ) from 30% to up to 150%. So one 3990x could easily swap a few platinums thus costing you less in terms of electricity and licenses not to mention the re-sell value of these chips compared to the ES chips which are rapidly dropping in price day by day...

On a side note my node machines are all using sata ssd's as boot drives while the workstations use nvme ssds. All are conected to the network trough 10gbe Nic's could be that there is a bottleneck there but I highly doubt it. I rather think it's and IPC matter and higher turbo boost of single core.

Juraj would be great if you could share some power consumption numbers of the 3990x in various situations?

2020-02-26, 14:06:00
Reply #933

agentdark45

• Active Users
    • View Profile

Okay, I tried running DRAM Calculator 1.7.0 with my spec but it says "Error: Not Supported!"
I've attached the info. Any suggestions?

Thanks

You've set it to Samsung D-die - it needs to be set to Hynix DJR (your Ram manufacturer is Hynix and D-die is DJR).
Vray who?

2020-02-27, 00:47:37
Reply #934

Serj Fedin

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Guys Hello)
What do you think about MSI CREATOR TRX40 motherboard ?
its good for 3990 ?
MAT is a young creative team of professionals
Behance:     MAT Architects
Instagram:   MAT Architects

2020-02-27, 10:34:06
Reply #935

Juraj

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • studio website
Guys Hello)
What do you think about MSI CREATOR TRX40 motherboard ?
its good for 3990 ?

All TRX40 boards are good enough for all the 3rd gen chips. Creator is excellent board.
Please follow my new Instagram for latest projects, tips&tricks, short video tutorials and free models
Behance  Probably best updated portfolio of my work
lysfaere.com Please check the new stuff!

2020-02-27, 11:15:15
Reply #936

Serj Fedin

• Active Users
    • View Profile

Hi)
but what about VRM new motherboard?
« Last Edit: 2020-02-27, 11:38:13 by Serj Fedin »
MAT is a young creative team of professionals
Behance:     MAT Architects
Instagram:   MAT Architects

2020-02-27, 13:03:13
Reply #937

Juraj

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • studio website

Hi)
but what about VRM new motherboard?

All TRX40 boards have sufficient VRM. (i.e 16+ power stages of 70+ amps, either in 8+ or 16+ phases). I think the MSI might have the best heatsink actually from tests, but all the flagships (Aorus Xtreme, Asus ZE-II Alpha, MSI Creator,..) have excellent overall package VRM+Cooling.
Please follow my new Instagram for latest projects, tips&tricks, short video tutorials and free models

2020-02-27, 14:48:04
Reply #938

Jpjapers

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Ive mentioned a few times but had no takers. If someone wants to post a current recommended spec for a threadripper workstation. I will add it to the first post in this thread.
Theres a huge amount of info in these 66 pages and it would be useful to have a guide for those people coming here for information.

2020-02-28, 15:23:29
Reply #939

sumeetgupta

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Ive mentioned a few times but had no takers. If someone wants to post a current recommended spec for a threadripper workstation. I will add it to the first post in this thread.
Theres a huge amount of info in these 66 pages and it would be useful to have a guide for those people coming here for information.

Excellent idea. Please post recommended configuration for 3990X. Thanks.

2020-02-29, 12:19:42
Reply #940

bilko123

• Active Users
    • View Profile
I'm considering ordering this beast, just awaiting corona benchmarks for the 3970x as I may want to save some cash on that.

These PC's are built with full water cooling in a custom case (This includes a 3 year service replacement of the coolant) so the CPU can receive the full wattage, meaning a 30% increase in performance without overclocking at all.

Any thoughts are much appreciated.
« Last Edit: 2020-02-29, 12:44:16 by bilko123 »

2020-03-01, 05:47:45
Reply #941

dfcorona

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Just finished my build and tested a scene I am working on. Rendered in 3.5 minutes. Not running custom OC, or PBO, but what do you think of the temps running on air?

2020-03-01, 09:14:10
Reply #942

Juraj

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • studio website
It's fantastic, isn't :- ) ? Both performance and temperatures.

I almost feel like I should just shelve the water loop for now or just build it only for fun, something I wasn't fan of before.. because it's almost wasted here.
It might preserve turbos for extended time better during IR, but... this is already so fast.

2020-03-01, 16:01:52
Reply #943

dfcorona

• Active Users
    • View Profile
It's fantastic, isn't :- ) ? Both performance and temperatures.

I almost feel like I should just shelve the water loop for now or just build it only for fun, something I wasn't fan of before.. because it's almost wasted here.
It might preserve turbos for extended time better during IR, but... this is already so fast.
yes it's working great, wondering about running pbo mode if the cooler can take it. I'm running the noctua with thermal grizzly paste and switched out the fan for the industrialIPPC-2000.

2020-03-02, 06:51:29
Reply #944

dfcorona

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Okay so PBO at 200mhz OC on air and am getting over 30k Cinebench and can only get up to 87c max.  So I went into 3dsmax and ran a scene render for stays around 83c. I tried using IR and moving the scene around constantly. I was finally able to max at 92.9c after 11 minutes rendering but drops back down to 8.3c and seems to bounce around between 83-92.9c. This scene has a lot of Forest Pro grass and vegetation.  Very impressed so far, I think it might be possible to keep an overclock on air.  Juraj, I think at this point I would skip the custom cooling, with all the time and maintenance it takes and possible risk. Even though it seems good, I might actually turn PBO back off. It still worries me running in the mid 80's and spiking up to 92.9, so I think I might turn PBO back off.

Okay at 20min rendering now I am at 93.9c, time to turn off PBO.
« Last Edit: 2020-03-02, 06:54:51 by dfcorona »