Author Topic: Pricing and release date announced  (Read 192251 times)

2014-10-11, 17:08:53
Reply #180

Ondra

• Administrator
  • Active Users
  • Turning coffee to features since 2009
    • View Profile
Subscription will be cheaper than waiting to buy the upgrade with one-time fee. This discount is kind of a reward for trusting us and buying the subscription (and upgrades) up-front. Because of this, it will have to be paid continuously (e.g. you cannot wait 1 year, and only then buy subscription for 99€ to get an upgrade that would otherwise cost you 150€*). But after buying the one-time upgrade, it will be possible to resume the subscription again.

Yes, it gets quite complicated, but that is the problem with box versions. SaaS is just so much simpler, why cannot everyone use SaaS? :-(. A man can dream ;).

Either way, in your situation, you will just buy the one-time upgrade to the latest version (cheaper than buying a new licence), and you will be offered to start the subscription again. Or at least this is the solution we came to when we tried to imagine all the situations that could happen, and how to handle them fairly. We are open to discussion here ;).

* The upgrade price here is in no way final ;)
Rendering is magic.How to get minidumps for crashed/frozen 3ds Max | Sorry for short replies, brief responses = more time to develop Corona ;)

2014-10-11, 19:46:57
Reply #181

fellazb

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Hi there,

Since you're so keen on getting as much people on board with SaaS (which I can imagine), why not give the opportunity to make discounts for loyal users with SaaS contracts. So the longer you're on SaaS the cheaper it would get. That way you also compensate the fact that a Box version would be cheaper after a long run.

Don't get my wrong on the pricing, cuz it looks fair to me and really appreciate your efforts to really listen to this user community (and therfor hope you really consider the above written :)  )

2014-10-11, 20:14:50
Reply #182

tip01

• Active Users
    • View Profile
How much will the upgrade version 1 to version 2 of the box with the subscription license and the box without a subscription?

2014-10-11, 20:23:14
Reply #183

Nik

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • HQ Details
How much will the upgrade version 1 to version 2 of the box with the subscription license and the box without a subscription?

With Box+subscription you always get most latest version of plugin. No matter what it's number. So it's kinda free :) You already payed for subscription, remember?
With Box only it will cost some money, I don't know how much.

2014-10-11, 20:27:33
Reply #184

juang3d

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Hey guys, I really like what you have done with the licensing, I just don't understand why do you hate Box licensins so much hahaha for me is the only solution, in case I don't have ANY money to spend monthly I can continue working, that is pretty important, I hate renting anything, having the SaaS mode is great as something complementary to the Box license, but it's a big nono for me as the principal licensing mode, on the other hand subscription is great for me, I'm all to go for a Subs with Box licensing, I still miss some nodes more in the Box license,a complete 1+5 or 1+4 instead 1+3, I think it's a better number, but it's not dramatic :D  I think if I can afford high performance nodes for rendering with Corona I can afford one more Box license each 4 nodes :)

Also I miss some kind of pre-order option to make the purchase right away and forget about this ASAP hehehe

Cheers!

EDIT: After re-reading I'm not sure if I explained myself with the pre-order, what I mean is a system where we can pay now and receive the 1.0 right away when it is released, this is to be able to forget about the purchase and cost and go forward on other things :)
« Last Edit: 2014-10-12, 12:18:07 by juang3d »

2014-10-11, 22:30:48
Reply #185

Ondra

• Administrator
  • Active Users
    • View Profile

with subscription: free (cost is included in the 99€ subscription)
without subscription: some amount larger than 99€ ;)
Rendering is magic.How to get minidumps for crashed/frozen 3ds Max | Sorry for short replies, brief responses = more time to develop Corona ;)

2014-10-11, 22:52:03
Reply #186

jonas007

im sorry for not reading all the posts here, im sorry to not increase the tone of the debate (probably) , i just want to say that i was a hobbiest, ( like someone call) and used first  maxwell render, and then (unfortunelly) vray for the last years, thanks to piracy,  i know that is wrong, and should be diferent ways of "work" ...  my job  as a drawing  technician is having an evolution, that is almost crucial to have knowledge of rendering (included),...since the year 2000 i have seen a progression in the demand from my bosses ( i have probably 3 diferent works in the same branch) in the quality of the render imagery, in the first years  a scanline render was almost enough for them , in the mids of 2006 a low quality image in vray was crucial and almost compulsary in the day after day work.  But where do i want get with this, first that is very important to have at least a free test version, that can give a minimum capability to the users to see, evolve and test a software, even with the risk of using them in comercial use, ( at least the pirate versions would be less or not) or in another offer a good price so nobody had the trouble and the "pain" in getting a pirated one, ( that i think corona team as a good licence plan with a monthly fee).
I just want to say that, in a post someone reply to me that a final version of corona was going to be launched in november, ive "run" almost imeadiatly to search this topic PRICE !!! do you know why ???   im gonna tell you a story  this last years after a long job crisis in europe , i was able to get "steady" in my current job thanks to Corona renderer,   as i told in the begining of my post the years goes and "they "  want good images right away,  AND THANK GOD i FOUND CORONA !!!......  you probably are thinking " THIS GUY WANTS A FREE ONE !!AH HA Ah .....but NO !!   i just want to say IM IN AND I WANT TO BUY ONE !!!!!

2014-10-13, 15:19:45
Reply #187

Alessandro

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • DotLab Srl
Well, I like to calc when I buy something :)
Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Year 1:
 Saas: 239.88€ (19.99*12)
 Box+s: 448€ (349+99)

Year 2:
 Saas: 539.76€ (239.88 + 24.99*12)
 Box+s: 547€ (448 + 99)

Year 3:
 Saas: 839.64€ (539.76 + 24.99*12)
 Box+s: 646€ (547 + 99)

So if my calculations are correct, then Box+s becomes cheaper than Saas after 2 years of payments.
I don't like to rent any software, and it seems I don't need to, just because it's more expensive in long term. Am I right?

Actually the question is - I will pay 349 one time and 99 every year and I will get version 1.0, 2.0, 3.0, etc.?

Yes, SaaS will eventually became more expensive, if you keep using and paying every month. So if you are now sure you will get your money worth, have the cash, and are willing to commit, buy the box version. With subscription, you will get the same updates as with SaaS.

But a lot of things can change in 2 years - take adam for example, 2 years ago he was doing visualizations and never thought he would be now part of the Corona team ;). SaaS offers flexibility: you can quit or pause at any time and it won't cost you anything. But you can also do the opposite: you may for example need some help, say 2 more people for some large project for 2 months. With SaaS, you rent extra licences for only 2*2*25 = 100€. After the project is done, you cancel the SaaS and that's it. With the traditional box model, you would be stuck with 900€ worth of useless licences. Same with rendering: for one month you can switch from 1+3 to 1+10 plan to get extra computing power, and then just go back when you dont need it.

During last weekend I've done the same calculations. And so, considering I'm going to go on with my job of course for 2 years (actually, hoping more than 2...) I'll buy box solution with sub. Ondra, of course, when I'll need more licences for a cup of weeks, I have the opportunity to rent some SaaS licences, mixing box and Saas licence model. IMHO, for my company and similar, this is of course the best solution.
My Ducati or a render with Corona.....mmm, hard question!

2014-10-13, 15:35:55
Reply #188

Tanakov

• Active Users
  • Corona is faster than diarrhea
    • View Profile
    • https://www.behance.net/Gringott
I must say, Im disapointed with the box option its a paytoplay option that I would compare to mobile app's.
I expected more pleasent suprize, compared to other engines corona has its cheeper starging price but each launching probably will now have.
Im sure you have done yor research but..
With my heart broken, an unfinished product.. It will be hard to convince my boss that corona IS the solution.
« Last Edit: 2014-10-13, 15:39:47 by Tanakov »
Using Corona since 2014-01-02
https://www.behance.net/Gringott

2014-10-13, 16:13:05
Reply #189

juang3d

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Tanakov why do you think the box option is not good?

I don't think Corona is such an unfinished product, it can benefit from a lot more features, but it's a proper render engine in most of ways more complete than iRay for example.

Cheers.

2014-10-13, 16:15:49
Reply #190

CiroC

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
You do mentioned schools and universities, but what about charity organizations that produce non-commercial work?

2014-10-13, 16:30:55
Reply #191

fobus

• Active Users
    • View Profile
why do you think the box option is not good?

I think it's noot good because of node-locked license and not flexible licensing policy (just one 1+3 option not good for customers, but good for simplifying licensing policy for developers).

As we calculated for our 20 PCs there is extra 100 EU (3312 (45.99EU*2pcs*12months*3years) SaaS vs 3230 (349EU*5pcs+99EU*5pcs*3years) BOX) needed for SaaS model versus BOX license for 3 years. And 500+ EU (more than twice more) for SaaS every next year versus BOX license. So the major difference for us is the floating license for now. This is crucial.
« Last Edit: 2014-10-13, 17:02:20 by fobus »

2014-10-13, 17:16:00
Reply #192

steyin

• Active Users
  • BALLS
    • View Profile
    • Instagram Page
I think at this point my main concern would be being able to install one license on 2 computers, you know, the typical one workstation/one laptop (which everyone uses for another computer anyway), or for me, one work computer/one home computer. I don't care about nodes as I don't network render, so the "seats" are more important.

2014-10-13, 20:10:34
Reply #193

fellazb

• Active Users
    • View Profile
I think at this point my main concern would be being able to install one license on 2 computers, you know, the typical one workstation/one laptop (which everyone uses for another computer anyway), or for me, one work computer/one home computer. I don't care about nodes as I don't network render, so the "seats" are more important.

+1

2014-10-13, 20:29:31
Reply #194

Ondra

• Administrator
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
You do mentioned schools and universities, but what about charity organizations that produce non-commercial work?

We have talked between us about some ways we can make some positive differences. We have decided we will be giving few percents of our profit to charities. We can also of course provide charitable organizations with free licences.