Author Topic: PBR Marble Material (carrara, calacatta)  (Read 13212 times)

2017-05-02, 07:49:08

danio1011

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Hi all,

I'm new to SSS in Corona.  I was wondering if anyone had any tips regarding creation of marble (carrara or calacatta) which have that subtle depth\softness?  So far my best results have been by creating a decent non-SSS material and then raising the Translucency value to .4-.5 or so.  Is that my best bet?  Or would I be better off tweaking Refraction and volume absorption values?  I've poked around a bit but just see documentation on skin\wax\milk.  I'm not really sure where marble falls.

For this preview image my Reflection IOR is 1.48, Reflection Glossiness .75 and Translucency is .4.  I'm reasonably happy with the result but would love additional insight into proper material creation.

Thanks for any feedback!
Daniel

2017-05-02, 22:16:43
Reply #1

mferster

• Active Users
    • View Profile
well it depends on what context it's going to be in. Is it going to be a tile floor? If that's the case then I wouldn't put any translucency to the material at all, it just dulls the highlights of the stone. If it's going to be free standing and interacting with light then it would make sense to add transluceny.

2017-05-04, 01:37:20
Reply #2

JoeVallard

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • Joe Vallard
Someone kindly posted their material setup of what your looking for here.
https://forum.corona-renderer.com/index.php/topic,15280.msg96905.html#msg96905

Photos attached are a comparison of No Ref/Trans, Refraction, and Trans. Refraction gives a much softer look, but at a high cost of increasing render times.

As a side note the material you posted is extremely bright compared to the scene its in, try lowering the output levels down some.

2017-05-04, 13:38:00
Reply #3

sprayer

• Active Users
    • View Profile