Author Topic: AMD Ryzen 7 series and Corona?  (Read 63611 times)

2017-03-20, 20:09:07
Reply #45

mvshabeer

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
maybe it's finally time for AD to make those operations multithreaded

Never gonna happen. They had a plan years ago called XBR - to rewrite max from scratch; It's dead. They could have done it :(

2017-03-20, 20:49:13
Reply #46

lacilaci

• Active Users
    • View Profile

2017-03-21, 14:20:08
Reply #47

cecofuli

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • www.francescolegrenzi.com
I've read about a new Ryzen CPU Desktop with 16 core ( 2,8 GHz  TDP 150 Watt) , quad channel about 1.000 euro (June 2017).
I don't know if it's good or not for us, especially because low GHz in single thread.

LINK
« Last Edit: 2017-03-21, 14:24:52 by cecofuli »

2017-03-21, 14:30:23
Reply #48

Juraj

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • studio website
I've read about a new Ryzen CPU Desktop with 16 core ( 2,8 GHz  TDP 150 Watt) , quad channel about 1.000 euro (June 2017).
I don't know if it's good or not for us, especially because low GHz in single thread.

LINK

Quote from: ExtremeTech
Obligatory reminder: Take this with enough salt to kill a donkey
:- )
Please follow my new Instagram for latest projects, tips&tricks, short video tutorials and free models
Behance  Probably best updated portfolio of my work
lysfaere.com Please check the new stuff!

2017-03-21, 15:49:07
Reply #49

tomislavn

• Active Users
  • Lightbringer
    • View Profile
    • My 3docean Portolio

LINK

Quote from: ExtremeTech
Obligatory reminder: Take this with enough salt to kill a donkey
:- )

I like salt :D - Anyway, that would be absolutely barbaric! 3k+ CB from a single cpu for 1k euros :D *wet eyes*
My 3d stock portfolio - http://3docean.net/user/tomislavn

2017-04-03, 22:03:10
Reply #50

Peksio

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Hello. I do not even know if this is stupid question but I have to know :P

In my country Intel i7 7700K is in the same price as Ryzen 1700. And You propably know what I try to find out ^^

I am working mostly in software like Maya, 3ds Max, UE4, Zbrush, Substanse Painter and of course Corona. I noticed that a lot of software is still running on one core. For example, unwrapping in 3ds max some functions in Maya and Zbrush too.

My whole body is screaming "Go for Intel" because of ~200% stronger one core power but ... I have to check If maybe raw power of Ryzen in application using mutlithreading is worth it ? What do You think ?

Thanks and Cheers !

2017-04-03, 23:34:18
Reply #51

raulmontiel

• Active Users
    • View Profile

In my country Intel i7 7700K is in the same price as Ryzen 1700. And You propably know what I try to find out ^^

I am working mostly in software like Maya, 3ds Max, UE4, Zbrush, Substanse Painter and of course Corona. I noticed that a lot of software is still running on one core. For example, unwrapping in 3ds max some functions in Maya and Zbrush too.

My whole body is screaming "Go for Intel" because of ~200% stronger one core power but ... I have to check If maybe raw power of Ryzen in application using mutlithreading is worth it ? What do You think ?

Thanks and Cheers !

Just as you say, single core is better on the 7700k and probably your workstation will feel snappier overall, in the other hand an overcloked r7 1700 will perform at least 30% faster in rendering and it wont do a bad job in single core tasks, in my opinion i would go with the amd setup which i think is a more balanced sistem.

2017-04-03, 23:44:14
Reply #52

Kallikroete

• Active Users
    • View Profile

Thanks and Cheers !

I Think It's quite safe to say, that you can overclock the ryzen 1700 to 3.8ghz. As far as I know the 7700k can do around 5.0ghz. So the ryzen should be doing about 75% of the single core performance. But I have never tested single core performance in any of the programs.
Regarding multi threaded the overclocked ryzen scores in cinebench around 1600 and the oc'd 7700k score circa 1000. This gives the Intel chip around 62% of the ryzen multi thread performance.

Now you could compare these numbers to the time your cpu is busy doing single vs. Multi threaded work and you should get a rational answer which cpu saves you more time overall.

Personally I'm biased towards the ryzen 1700 since I just got one (upgrading from Xeon e3 1231 v3) and everytime I hit render I can't help but smile :)

2017-04-04, 20:45:20
Reply #53

Peksio

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Thank You for Your asnwers. I was thinking about it and after all I decided that I spent much more time on modeling, texturing etc than on "raw" rendering. And I primarly want overall performance on all fields not only on rendering. So I am going for Intel. Thanks for help :-)

2017-04-04, 21:55:59
Reply #54

Nejc Kilar

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
    • My personal website
Thank You for Your asnwers. I was thinking about it and after all I decided that I spent much more time on modeling, texturing etc than on "raw" rendering. And I primarly want overall performance on all fields not only on rendering. So I am going for Intel. Thanks for help :-)

I don't want to overcomplicate things for you but a 15% drop in single threaded performance might cause that blur effect in Photoshop to be completed 5 seconds sooner but the 50%+ decrease in render times might be much more noticeable :P Just saying, it ain't easy :)
Nejc Kilar | chaos-corona.com
Educational Content Creator | contact us

2017-04-04, 22:04:40
Reply #55

Ondra

• Administrator
  • Active Users
  • Turning coffee to features since 2009
    • View Profile
when in doubt, remember people pay 5-10 thousands € for dual xeon workstations with singlethreaded performance of a mainstream laptop ;)
Rendering is magic.How to get minidumps for crashed/frozen 3ds Max | Sorry for short replies, brief responses = more time to develop Corona ;)

2017-04-04, 22:49:43
Reply #56

Juraj

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • studio website
Single-threaded performance is overrated. You can't feel Windows/3dsMax/Photoshop/etc, being "snappier/livelier" after 3+ Ghz and those few actions that will be faster (certain modifier unfreezing after 5 seconds instead of 8) matters way less than rendering time finishing 2 hours faster.

You shouldn't even consider 4-core to be workstation in 2017.

Edit: Damn, nkilar wrote the same argument literally :- D

OK, so secondary argument is just having tons of stuff open at same time. You say you do more modelling and texturing then rendering ? That's still more Z-Brush projects open at same time alongside 50 chrome tabs and Photoshop swapping resources more effectively.
Please follow my new Instagram for latest projects, tips&tricks, short video tutorials and free models
Behance  Probably best updated portfolio of my work
lysfaere.com Please check the new stuff!

2017-04-08, 01:10:13
Reply #57

xxxsalvo

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Anyone just use Ryzen? Which configuration do you use??

2017-04-16, 13:54:34
Reply #58

Serj-3DVision

• Primary Certified Instructor
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
    • 3DVision
I just ordered my ryzen based workstation, cant wait to test it
My config:
Ryzen 1700 cpu
Gigabyte AB350M motherboard
64 gb ram hyperx fury
512 gb samsung 850 pro ssd
PSU silverstone 700w

I decided to keep my old western digital 1tb storage and geforce gt740 graphic card, maybe will change later for something modern, but for meantime its more then enought because i dont need at all gpu rendering.

In feew days will update with corona benchmark)
Sergei Scennikov | Israel | Tel-Aviv
Primary certified instructor
3DVision | Corona Materials Library

2017-04-28, 16:51:13
Reply #59

lupaz

• Active Users
    • View Profile
@Serj-3DVision:

Hi Serj,

Any comments on you Ryzen build so far?