Author Topic: AMD Ryzen 7 series and Corona?  (Read 63613 times)

2017-02-23, 06:51:31

kothu

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Hi! I am planing to build new pc with amd ryzen 1700X or 1800X but i just wondering will these new CPUs be fully function with corona? i just read that the corona is faster with Embree on intel CPUs.

2017-02-23, 08:33:50
Reply #1

tomislavn

• Active Users
  • Lightbringer
    • View Profile
    • My 3docean Portolio
I'm really interested in that as well.

At the moment, I am using a Dual Xeon machine with around 2100 CB score and if a single Ryzen can push 1700 on stock clocks as they say, then I would definitely take one budget machine based on it for rendering.

Wondering what will actually come out of that marketing in the end.

It would be my first AMD processor after 15 years :))) (Hi AMD "Hellraiser" Thunderbird lol)
My 3d stock portfolio - http://3docean.net/user/tomislavn

2017-02-23, 09:26:34
Reply #2

lacilaci

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Well the AMD cpus should have the instruction sets embree could use... no?

So curious to see some corona/vray benchmarks on those cpus... will buy instantly if it works flawlessly lol

edit:
But I also read this on cgtalk:

"Ryzen's support for AVX instructions is 128-bit in nature, meaning two cycles are required to achieve what an Intel core does in one..."

original article: http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2017-how-amds-ryzen-will-disrupt-the-cpu-market
« Last Edit: 2017-02-23, 09:32:02 by lacilaci »

2017-02-23, 11:24:02
Reply #3

Ondra

• Administrator
  • Active Users
  • Turning coffee to features since 2009
    • View Profile
Hi! I am planing to build new pc with amd ryzen 1700X or 1800X but i just wondering will these new CPUs be fully function with corona?
Yes.

This is not GPU rendering ;)
Rendering is magic.How to get minidumps for crashed/frozen 3ds Max | Sorry for short replies, brief responses = more time to develop Corona ;)

2017-02-23, 11:37:32
Reply #4

agentdark45

• Active Users
    • View Profile
I've got my eye on those mega 32 core Zen Opterons! AFAIK they are overclockable too...*heavy breathing*
« Last Edit: 2017-02-23, 11:42:46 by agentdark45 »
Vray who?

2017-02-23, 13:11:32
Reply #5

FrostKiwi

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • YouTube
New Homepage set and on auto-refresh.
Exciting times we live in.

Born too late to explore the earth, born too early to explore the stars, born just in time to see AMD rise back to rule the world.
I'm 🐥 not 🥝, pls don't eat me ( ;  ;   )

2017-02-23, 16:30:28
Reply #6

arqrenderz

• Active Users
  • https://www.behance.net/Arqrenderz1
    • View Profile
    • arqrenderz
What about embree?? How much performance is espected yo loose? A lot of us are thinking in buying some 1800x PCS:)

2017-02-23, 17:06:22
Reply #7

Ondra

• Administrator
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
What about embree?? How much performance is espected yo loose? A lot of us are thinking in buying some 1800x PCS:)
There are already public benchmarks of ryzens that include Corona benchmark (which uses embree), and performance is consistently good. We do not expect embree to slow down, so far it plays well even with bulldozer architecture.
Rendering is magic.How to get minidumps for crashed/frozen 3ds Max | Sorry for short replies, brief responses = more time to develop Corona ;)

2017-02-23, 21:41:32
Reply #8

cecofuli

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • www.francescolegrenzi.com
I think that we should wait June, for Naples =)  with dual Sockets MB.
Buy a new WS now isn't a good idea, in my opinion...  only if it's really necessary... Better to wait 4-5 months, if it's possible.

"The 32-core CPU, codename Naples, will feature simultaneous multithreading similar to the desktop platform we wrote about earlier, allowing for 64 threads per processor. Thus, in a dual socket system, up to 128 threads will be available. These development systems are currently in the hands of select AMD partners for qualification and development.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/10581/early-amd-zen-server-cpu-and-motherboard-details-codename-naples-32cores-dual-socket-platforms-q2-2017

2017-02-24, 02:39:55
Reply #9

arqrenderz

• Active Users
  • https://www.behance.net/Arqrenderz1
    • View Profile
    • arqrenderz
There are already public benchmarks of ryzens that include Corona benchmark (which uses embree), and performance is consistently good. We do not expect embree to slow down, so far it plays well even with bulldozer architecture.
Cant find the numbers, there is no ryzen procesor on corona benchmark website, any source??

2017-02-24, 03:03:50
Reply #10

Christa Noel

• Active Users
  • God bless us everyone
    • View Profile
    • dionch.studio
Cant find the numbers, there is no ryzen procesor on corona benchmark website, any source??
Yes me too
where is the public benchmarks? I cant google it... does anybody know it?

2017-02-24, 07:51:08
Reply #11

FrostKiwi

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • YouTube
Ondra refers to this image, originally published in a french magazine.
The scores shown are unfourtently aggrigated scores and there is no way to know how much the ryzen one actually scored vs other processors in Corona.
It still gives a rough estimate though. And to the user worrying about embree, as long as you support the instruction sets, it runs just great. Which is why the FX lineup actually rocks on the low spectrum of $/perf.
I'm 🐥 not 🥝, pls don't eat me ( ;  ;   )

2017-02-24, 09:16:51
Reply #12

karklinskarlis1993

• Active Users
    • View Profile
I think that we should wait June, for Naples =)  with dual Sockets MB.
Buy a new WS now isn't a good idea, in my opinion...  only if it's really necessary... Better to wait 4-5 months, if it's possible.

"The 32-core CPU, codename Naples, will feature simultaneous multithreading similar to the desktop platform we wrote about earlier, allowing for 64 threads per processor. Thus, in a dual socket system, up to 128 threads will be available. These development systems are currently in the hands of select AMD partners for qualification and development.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/10581/early-amd-zen-server-cpu-and-motherboard-details-codename-naples-32cores-dual-socket-platforms-q2-2017

as dual xeon user i am really interested in this one. how much would it cost? any performance gain predictable over 2670 x2?

2017-02-24, 10:07:32
Reply #13

Ondra

• Administrator
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
the official intel stance is that while they do not intentionally cripple performance on non-intel CPUs, they themselves optimize on Intel hardware, and program advanced instruction sets detection only for intel. Embree is open source and our review did not find anything that was aimed at harming AMD cpu performance. Worst case is that AVX would not be used - which itself does only ~ 10% difference on Intel CPUs. We are here talking about CPUs that cost 1/3 of Intel top hitters, so 10% slowdown is something you can take and still profit.

2017-02-24, 12:05:04
Reply #14

Christa Noel

• Active Users
  • God bless us everyone
    • View Profile
    • dionch.studio
the official intel stance is that while they do not intentionally cripple performance on non-intel CPUs, they themselves optimize on Intel hardware, and program advanced instruction sets detection only for intel. Embree is open source and our review did not find anything that was aimed at harming AMD cpu performance. Worst case is that AVX would not be used - which itself does only ~ 10% difference on Intel CPUs. We are here talking about CPUs that cost 1/3 of Intel top hitters, so 10% slowdown is something you can take and still profit.
that makes me wondering.. what makes them not doing prevention for non-intel cpu to use embree while the embree it self is developed by intel?