Author Topic: Tamed interactive rendering  (Read 3503 times)

2014-11-23, 16:52:44

romullus

• Global Moderator
  • Active Users
  • Let's move this topic, shall we?
    • View Profile
    • My Models
I think it could be useful to be able to restrict cpu power available to interactive rendering, by limiting number of cores for example. So work in max scene could be really interactive if desired. Combine this with pass limit and you'll have ultimate solution for material setup and tweaking.

I have a feeling that this will be rejected, but one can have a dream... :]
I'm not Corona Team member. Everything i say, is my personal opinion only.
My Models | My Videos | My Pictures

2014-11-23, 17:08:59
Reply #1

maru

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
  • Marcin
    • View Profile
Yeah, I would like this too. Already posted somewhere.
Marcin Miodek | chaos-corona.com
3D Support Team Lead - Corona | contact us

2014-11-23, 20:11:30
Reply #2

Ludvik Koutny

• VIP
  • Active Users
  • Just another user
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
Separate pass limit for interactive is planned, but why limit CPU? I don't see any lagging or slowdowns here, when using interactive. Even in huge scenes. If you do, then it's a bug, which should be fixed, not worked around by cluttering UI further.

2014-11-23, 21:14:24
Reply #3

maru

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
  • Marcin
    • View Profile
On my i3 there is a huge lag when there is a heavy scene (many objects, heavy geometry, many of textures) but it's an i3... After I move something in viewport, I have to wait a few seconds (hd cache?), then IR starts refining slowly and after some time it speeds up. But maybe it's different on better hardware?
Marcin Miodek | chaos-corona.com
3D Support Team Lead - Corona | contact us

2014-11-23, 22:24:34
Reply #4

romullus

• Global Moderator
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
    • My Models
Not exactly lag, but a lack of smoothness. Especially when slate material editor is opened and there's several complex materials in it. Jumping from node to node takes a little bit longer than usual, material previews updates very sluggishly.  Everything sums up and eventually it takes away joy of interactivity. Mostly this applies to long sessions, short ones feels ok.

Glad to hear about planned pass limit.

2014-11-23, 22:49:34
Reply #5

Ludvik Koutny

• VIP
  • Active Users
  • Just another user
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
There are some heavy lag issues with the latest daily. They are already resolved, and will be available once Keymaster releases next daily.

As for the material updates, i think they should not be updating at all. At very least materials should not update, maps and their previews should not cause that many problems. The thing is that one should not really use material editor preview when using interactive, because either way, you always care about the end result, and you are tweaking end result when looking at interactive.

Why would you want to see shaderball when right in front of you, you can see how it's going to look right in the scene on final image? That applies for everything. I think previews only make sense when you render non-interactively, because when you run interactive, what you see in interactive VFB is always the most relevant, and it renders those shaderballs in material editor irrelevant. And of course it causes lag, because you are basically launching another rendering session while one is already running. For slate, there's an easy workaround, there's a button on the bottom left of the window that disabled thumbnail updating. I always disable it when working interactive.

It requires change of mindset of course. It's like with new Gmail - you always hate it first, but if you were to return to older version after getting used to new one, you would be probably angry a lot more. If you notice, many of the applications build around interactive rendering do not even have shaderballs, as it's expected you will always look at the end result anyway.

It would not be a problem if rendering those shaderballs was free. But rendering while rendering will always be at a cost of lag. And especially when drawing material previews doesn't bring much benefit, as described above, it's really not worth it. When you launch interactive rendering, your actual scene becomes your material preview. If you were to limit CPU usage, your thumbnails would generate faster, but your interactive preview would render slower, and since you mainly need to see how your material really looks in scene, not just on shaderball, you would actually lose some productivity, instead of gaining it.
« Last Edit: 2014-11-23, 22:53:27 by Rawalanche »

2014-11-23, 23:26:24
Reply #6

romullus

• Global Moderator
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
    • My Models
I was talking about thumbnails, not about separate preview window, which i rarely use at all. And thanks for hint about ability to disable SME rendering - didn't know that. Definitely will try that.

I guess we'll have to wait next build and see if things get better then.

2014-11-24, 08:56:06
Reply #7

Ludvik Koutny

• VIP
  • Active Users
  • Just another user
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
I was talking about thumbnails too. I too don't use preview floating window much.

2015-01-18, 20:40:34
Reply #8

Ondra

• Administrator
  • Active Users
  • Turning coffee to features since 2009
    • View Profile
Implemented
Rendering is magic.How to get minidumps for crashed/frozen 3ds Max | Sorry for short replies, brief responses = more time to develop Corona ;)