Author Topic: washed out cosmos assets  (Read 4377 times)

2022-07-12, 19:33:10

aldola

• Active Users
    • View Profile
some cosmos assets are looking strange, like wasjed out

2022-07-12, 21:29:54
Reply #1

TomG

• Administrator
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
Please say which version of Max, which version of Corona, and which assets (you can post their name). Looks like a known issue where the IOR is too high, making them shiny, temporarily you can manually reduce the IOR after import.

(Internal ID=902432258)
Tom Grimes | chaos-corona.com
Product Manager | contact us

2022-07-16, 00:16:34
Reply #2

cgbeast

• Active Users
    • View Profile
I noticed that too...some come in super shiny.

2022-10-01, 12:01:35
Reply #3

Cheesemsmsm

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Please say which version of Max, which version of Corona, and which assets (you can post their name). Looks like a known issue where the IOR is too high, making them shiny, temporarily you can manually reduce the IOR after import.

(Internal ID=902432258)

Most of Cosmos's people assets; IOR Incorrect, Skin too dark and redish.
Check them out

2022-10-03, 12:18:44
Reply #4

dj_buckley

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Aren't a lot of these problems the same as assets bought/downloaded from anywhere else?

They're not necessarily setup correctly for your individual workflow.  Everyone has different workflows right, the model creators will make the assets to suit their own workflow.  If the two don't align then there will be issues no doubt.

9 times out 10, assets need tweaking.

I notice it more and more these days (not necessarily in this thread), but people expecting minimum input for maximum output.  I get that time is money and all that, but sometimes you actually need to do a bit of work yourselves.

Most of the adjustments are simple tweaks too, but it's too easy to blame the creators rather than do the simple fix yourself.

2022-10-03, 13:37:17
Reply #5

TomG

• Administrator
  • Active Users
    • View Profile

(Internal ID=902432258)

Most of Cosmos's people assets; IOR Incorrect, Skin too dark and redish.
Check them out

As noted in my post that you quoted ;) "Please say which version of Max, which version of Corona, and which assets (you can post their name)" - it would also be good to see some screenshots showing what you mean, in particular along with info on lighting and tone mapping in case either of those are playing a part. Thanks!
Tom Grimes | chaos-corona.com
Product Manager | contact us

2022-10-03, 13:46:34
Reply #6

Stefan-L

• Active Users
    • View Profile
i think this comes as v-ray has a reflection intensity(reflection color) feature beside the ior setting,
which corona hasn't anymore in its new physical material.

the same asset in vray looks ok, there one sees an IOR around 1,5 like it had been usual for long times, but they usually have a dark greyscale reflection color which dims the reflection intensity.
the same assets comes in in corona with same ior, but white reflection.
« Last Edit: 2022-10-10, 19:58:18 by Stefan-L »

2022-10-05, 10:42:28
Reply #7

Cheesemsmsm

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Aren't a lot of these problems the same as assets bought/downloaded from anywhere else?

They're not necessarily setup correctly for your individual workflow.  Everyone has different workflows right, the model creators will make the assets to suit their own workflow.  If the two don't align then there will be issues no doubt.

9 times out 10, assets need tweaking.

I notice it more and more these days (not necessarily in this thread), but people expecting minimum input for maximum output.  I get that time is money and all that, but sometimes you actually need to do a bit of work yourselves.

Most of the adjustments are simple tweaks too, but it's too easy to blame the creators rather than do the simple fix yourself.

I personally don't use Cosmos because most of them suck.

The point is that Cosmos promotes itself as "high-quality models, materials and HDRI skies that work perfectly with your visualization projects."
So it should be ready to use, shouldn't it?
and the most important thing is it's made by the renderer's company not random download from the internet. It should work perfectly with their renderer, shouldn't it?

If they're simple tweaks, why don't they do it and make it ready to use as advertised rather than blame the users and let them do the fix themself?
« Last Edit: 2022-10-05, 10:48:23 by Cheesemsmsm »

2022-10-05, 10:57:47
Reply #8

dj_buckley

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Because of different workflows between users.  Let's say I'm following a strict PBR workflow, and you're not.  Who's scene will they work perfectly in?  Because one of us will have to tweak them?  My workflow would require all albedo textures to be within a certain sRGB range, whereas values as low as 0,0,0 and 255,255,255 might be acceptable for your workflow?  Who's workflow should the creator prepare the models for?  And that's just highlighting 2 different workflows, I'm sure there are many other factors at play.  I might prefer to use Physical Shaders, you might prefer to use Legacy shaders?  Who knows

2022-10-05, 11:25:12
Reply #9

James Vella

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Because of different workflows between users.  Let's say I'm following a strict PBR workflow, and you're not.  Who's scene will they work perfectly in?  Because one of us will have to tweak them?  My workflow would require all albedo textures to be within a certain sRGB range, whereas values as low as 0,0,0 and 255,255,255 might be acceptable for your workflow?  Who's workflow should the creator prepare the models for?  And that's just highlighting 2 different workflows, I'm sure there are many other factors at play.  I might prefer to use Physical Shaders, you might prefer to use Legacy shaders?  Who knows

I dont think this is a very good example to be honest. If the assets work well in Vray it should work in Corona. If they are setup for PBR or Legacy it doesn't matter - there should be parity. It is time consuming sure, but its not difficult. I think this is the point here, the items in cosmos should import in correct from the get-go, if you want to adjust things to fit your particular workflow or 'standard' srgb ranges then that's up to you at that point, but the base asset should be plug and play.

2022-10-05, 11:29:05
Reply #10

Cheesemsmsm

• Active Users
    • View Profile

I think you missed the point dude.

Are you trying to say because we have many workflows, then the assets shouldn't be correct on any workflow even on the PBR workflow?

PBR is Corona's standard, almost everyone uses it, so make it correctly on PBR.
If anyone uses Alien workflows, let them fix themself because they're not the standard.

I dont think this is a very good example to be honest. If the assets work well in Vray it should work in Corona. If they are setup for PBR or Legacy it doesn't matter - there should be parity. It is time consuming sure, but its not difficult. I think this is the point here, the items in cosmos should import in correct from the get-go, if you want to adjust things to fit your particular workflow or 'standard' srgb ranges then that's up to you at that point, but the base asset should be plug and play.

Totally agreed with James. Your explanation is way better.
I believe everyone uses the Cosmos because they'd like to save time. Imagine that if they have to fix iOR / albedo / Roughness on 80 of 100 assets, It's pain.
The concept of Cosmos is drag and drop and it works perfectly. So make it be, that's it.
« Last Edit: 2022-10-05, 11:52:28 by Cheesemsmsm »

2022-10-05, 11:48:23
Reply #11

dj_buckley

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Nope, I'm saying the assets will (should) be correct to one specific workflow and only one..  Whether or not that's the same workflow that you use, is completely hit or miss.  My original point was merely stating that downloaded assets are never a one size fits all.

I also stated in my original post that i wasn't necessarily referring to Cosmos assets (this thread).  It was just a view of downloaded assets in general
« Last Edit: 2022-10-05, 11:52:03 by dj_buckley »

2022-10-05, 11:56:52
Reply #12

PROH

• Active Users
    • View Profile
But the problem isn't only regarding materials. A lot of the 3d people are coming in with broken meshes, even though the same models from the source vendor are fine.
Chaos Cosmos assets clearly need some love :)

2022-10-05, 12:04:48
Reply #13

dj_buckley

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Sure PROH, that's a big issue.  But I've simply been replying to the original comments about materials/shaders.

FWIW, I don't use Cosmos (or haven't yet), but if all of the assets are being provided by different vendors then that further consolidates my point if anything.

Do we even know if Chaos are poviding a standard that vendors should be working too, before assets are added to Cosmos?
« Last Edit: 2022-10-05, 12:08:12 by dj_buckley »

2022-10-05, 12:09:07
Reply #14

James Vella

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Sure PROH, that's a big issue.  But I've simply been replying to the original comments about materials/shaders.

FWIW, I don't use Cosmos (or haven't yet), but if all of the assets are being provided by different vendors then that further consolidates my point if anything.

Well the point here is that its Chaos Cosmos, the assets provided should work well in Chaos products (Vray/Corona, etc). Even if different vendors are providing the assets they should be vetted through Chaos to be compatible with their render engines and as close to parity as possible.