Author Topic: Water in the glass vase - flickering problem  (Read 1026 times)

2022-07-12, 13:04:55

mwiak

• Users
    • View Profile
Hi. I'm rendering an interior scene with a glass vase with water in it. It produces fireflies/flickering. I double checked and made sure that the water mesh doesn't touch the vase mesh.
I attached a few frames where the flickering is visible.
Any ideas? Help would be much appreciated. 

2022-07-12, 13:19:18
Reply #1

TomG

• Administrator
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
Actually, the water mesh should be slightly larger and so interpenetrate the glass mesh - I am not sure if that's what you mean by "not touching" but it does sound like you made it smaller than the glass mesh, which would be something to change for an accurate render (not sure it would make any difference to the flickering though, but doesn't hurt to try!)
Tom Grimes | chaos-corona.com
Product Manager | contact us

2022-07-12, 17:13:36
Reply #2

maru

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
  • Marcin
    • View Profile
That is a very small reflection/refraction of some kind of strong light source such as the sun. It is a challenging scenario for Corona and other renderers. There are some possible ways of mitigating this, for example:
- enabling highlight clamping (not highlight compression!) - this will clamp the brightest pixels and in turn make them darker, which will not really solve the issue, but will make it less visible - https://support.chaos.com/hc/en-us/articles/4528471000849-What-is-highlight-clamping-
- lowering the light source's intensity, making the light source larger (e.g. lowering sun's intensity, making it bigger, using an overcast HDRI instead)
- rendering to a higher quality (allowing more time per frame)
- increasing the render resolution
- using some kind of post-production anti-flicker / denoiser in 3rd party software

The main issue is that there is some small detail (in this case strong reflection) which has similar size in the image as a single pixel, or even smaller. In one frame, Corona will "catch" the reflection appearing in one place. In another frame, in another place. Hence the flickering. The reflection would stay pretty much the same without any kind of flickering only if we allow a very long rendering time and/or render in a very high resolution.

Another idea (I don't know how well it would work, sorry) would be selecting the flickering object and using the "render selected" feature of Corona to render only this specific object to a higher quality. Then compositing it on top of the whole frame.
Marcin Miodek | chaos-corona.com
3D Support Team Lead - Corona | contact us

2022-07-12, 17:24:58
Reply #3

aaouviz

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • Another Angle 3D
I often have this issue and I usually try to overcome it by excluding the water/glass from the sun. Can't be certain if this works or not, from memory!
Nicolas Pratt
Another Angle 3D
https://www.instagram.com/anotherangle3d/

2022-07-12, 19:29:12
Reply #4

maru

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
  • Marcin
    • View Profile
Yes, that should work too. :)
Marcin Miodek | chaos-corona.com
3D Support Team Lead - Corona | contact us

2022-07-13, 19:25:57
Reply #5

mwiak

• Users
    • View Profile
Thanks for a detailed explanation Maru - makes a lot of sense.

I ended up following Aaouviz advise - excluded vase and water for the main sun and created another one, bigger and included vase and water only - it fixed the problem.

TomG - thanks, that's interesting I was always making my mesh smaller. I will definitely give it a go and do some tests.

2022-07-14, 13:40:03
Reply #6

Nejc Kilar

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
    • My personal website
Hello there! Just in case you'd like to learn more about how to put liquids in glasses here's a more in depth help page you can go through:
https://support.chaos.com/hc/en-us/articles/4528475131281-How-to-model-a-liquid-in-glass-with-Corona-Renderer-

Hope its useful to ya! :)
Nejc Kilar | chaos-corona.com
Educational Content Creator | contact us