Author Topic: Corona Renderer 8 for 3ds Max - Daily Builds Discussion  (Read 152378 times)

2022-03-01, 01:01:09
Reply #435

TomG

• Administrator
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
Yes, known issues which will be addressed :) But ty for reporting of course, better safe than sorry, so do always let us know when you run into issues.
Tom Grimes | chaos-corona.com
Product Manager | contact us

2022-03-02, 14:51:40
Reply #436

aaouviz

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • Another Angle 3D
Anyone else experiencing that the override of the new tone mapping for a camera doesn't actually work!?

Also, when I add a new tone mapping node control (or whatever they're called?), eg; Highlight compression, if I type in a number and press enter the control just disappears/is deleted from the list!?

Also also, if I type in "-4" for simple exposure it simply sets it to "0.0"!?!?

Also also also, if I choose a preset and change one of the parameters, the whole preset is lost, some of the controls just disappear....what!?

This seems kinda flakey so far guys, sorry...
« Last Edit: 2022-03-02, 14:59:39 by aaouviz »
Nicolas Pratt
Another Angle 3D
https://www.instagram.com/anotherangle3d/

2022-03-02, 15:03:11
Reply #437

TomG

• Administrator
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
1. Can you explain more about "doesn't work" - e.g. what steps are you following, and what are your results? Important things here might be if the camera is an existing one from an old scene, etc. My tests were just quick to see what happens, in a new and empty scene.

2. No, not experiencing this at all. Please share version of Max, and confirm which daily build of Corona you are using. I am using Max 2022, and daily from 23rd Feb.

3. No, not experiencing this here, it sets it to -4 as expected.

4. Also not experiencing here.

2022-03-02, 15:05:55
Reply #438

aaouviz

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • Another Angle 3D
Thanks for the fast reply.

Please accept my apologies, I should have done a restart before complaining...

All these issues seem to have been fixed thanks to simply closing max...

No idea why or how they happened in the first place though?

All seem to work as expected... I'll keep my eye out in case this happens again.

Cheers!
Nicolas Pratt
Another Angle 3D

2022-03-02, 15:09:16
Reply #439

TomG

• Administrator
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
Great to hear! No worries as better to receive "too many reports" than "too few" - it is also good to know a restart fixed it. I take it that Max was closed when you ran the Corona installer (I know, I know, but have to ask!)? And just in case there is something to fix here, did this occur on loading an existing scene (created in a daily before tone mapping was added? Or in 7?), in a new scene, or was everything just empty like in my tests? TY for any extra info!

2022-03-02, 15:21:09
Reply #440

aaouviz

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • Another Angle 3D
Yes, max was closed :)

Yes, the error happens in a scene created with a previous daily. (All these reports are happening while IR is running, btw)

Another potential issue/query:
- Let's say I load Dubcats preset (which looks stunning, btw).
- I then do a camera specific override and only have 'simple exposure' on the list.

If I understand correctly only the exposure should be different? But it's not working this way, everything gets changed for me...?

On further investigation... I dunno, lots of issues here happening. Even after max resets. I can't get any reliability anywhere with the new tonemapping ... Is it possibly related to this error I'm getting when I load max (started yesterday when I installed latest daily and beta Pulze Scene Manager around the same time, so I don't know the culprit, yet)

Edit: Fixed this error (missing json file from max main directory, no idea why?) but other errors seem to remain, I'm guessing it might be mostly as this scene/file was created in an older version. I created a new scene and has less problems
« Last Edit: 2022-03-02, 15:45:09 by aaouviz »
Nicolas Pratt
Another Angle 3D

2022-03-03, 08:08:03
Reply #441

rowmanns

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
  • Corona for 3ds Max QA Team
    • View Profile
Yes, max was closed :)

Yes, the error happens in a scene created with a previous daily. (All these reports are happening while IR is running, btw)

- I then do a camera specific override and only have 'simple exposure' on the list.

If I understand correctly only the exposure should be different? But it's not working this way, everything gets changed for me...?

On further investigation... I dunno, lots of issues here happening. Even after max resets. I can't get any reliability anywhere with the new tonemapping ... Is it possibly related to this error I'm getting when I load max (started yesterday when I installed latest daily and beta Pulze Scene Manager around the same time, so I don't know the culprit, yet)

Edit: Fixed this error (missing json file from max main directory, no idea why?) but other errors seem to remain, I'm guessing it might be mostly as this scene/file was created in an older version. I created a new scene and has less problems
Hi,

I'll be happy to look into these issues. Would you be able to provide a scene which has these issues? (i.e. the one you created in a previous daily)

I will find an answer for your query too, I have to look into it a bit more first.

Thanks,

Rowan
Please read this before reporting bugs: How to report issues to us!
Send me your scene!

2022-03-03, 08:38:43
Reply #442

aaouviz

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • Another Angle 3D
Thanks Rowan,

Uploaded scene to Dropbox uploader. "VILLA_WC.zip"

One potential cause is Pulze Scene manager - I do suspect this is possibly messing things up a lot, but can't confirm this yet.

Good luck mate.
Nicolas Pratt
Another Angle 3D

2022-03-03, 09:18:56
Reply #443

rowmanns

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
Thanks Rowan,

One potential cause is Pulze Scene manager - I do suspect this is possibly messing things up a lot, but can't confirm this yet.

Good luck mate.
Hey,

Thanks for the scene, I'll look into it right away.

Regarding your question:

The override replaces one pipeline with the other one, if you override e.g. the Dubcat preset with a pipeline that contains only exposure, you will have a tone mapping that only applies the exposure operator, it does not "blend" the original and the overriding pipeline.
The reason for this is that it is very difficult for us to tell what the expected behaviour would be in any other case, as there could be multiple operators of the same type with different ordering, it's not really possible for us to determine which operator should have precidence.
I hope this helps, please let me know if you have some more questions.

Rowan
Send me your scene!

2022-03-03, 09:33:34
Reply #444

Scuffi

• Active Users
    • View Profile
I am noticing with the latest build that rendering of very heavy scenes gives very long times compared to 7. Have you noticed this thing?

2022-03-03, 09:43:04
Reply #445

rowmanns

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
Anyone else experiencing that the override of the new tone mapping for a camera doesn't actually work!?

Also, when I add a new tone mapping node control (or whatever they're called?), eg; Highlight compression, if I type in a number and press enter the control just disappears/is deleted from the list!?

Also also, if I type in "-4" for simple exposure it simply sets it to "0.0"!?!?

Also also also, if I choose a preset and change one of the parameters, the whole preset is lost, some of the controls just disappear....what!?

This seems kinda flakey so far guys, sorry...
Hi,

I have reproduced these issues and we'll look into it asap.

They seem to happen with the pop out tonemapping menu only after applying a preset and then resetting the pipeline.
I couldn't reproduce the problems when editing the tonemapping through the VFB. Maybe you can use the VFB controls as a workaround until we fix this.

Thanks,

Rowan

(Report ID=CRMAX-1358)
Send me your scene!

2022-03-03, 09:55:22
Reply #446

aaouviz

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • Another Angle 3D
Thanks Rowan,

Good luck mate.
Hey,

Thanks for the scene, I'll look into it right away.

Regarding your question:

The override replaces one pipeline with the other one, if you override e.g. the Dubcat preset with a pipeline that contains only exposure, you will have a tone mapping that only applies the exposure operator, it does not "blend" the original and the overriding pipeline.
The reason for this is that it is very difficult for us to tell what the expected behaviour would be in any other case, as there could be multiple operators of the same type with different ordering, it's not really possible for us to determine which operator should have precidence.
I hope this helps, please let me know if you have some more questions.

Rowan

Ok, so would a solution to my desired workflow be:
- Load Dubcat preset in global tonemapping
- Remove 'simple exposure' control from the global
- Add only 'simple exposure' to camera tonemapping override?

Or does it work that when I tick 'override' for camera specific, it overrides ALL global tonemapping controls?
Nicolas Pratt
Another Angle 3D

2022-03-03, 09:59:36
Reply #447

rowmanns

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
Ok, so would a solution to my desired workflow be:
- Load Dubcat preset in global tonemapping
- Remove 'simple exposure' control from the global
- Add only 'simple exposure' to camera tonemapping override?

Or does it work that when I tick 'override' for camera specific, it overrides ALL global tonemapping controls?
Hi,

It works in a way that when you tick override for a specific camera it overrides all global tonemapping controls.

I can log a feature request for expanding the behaviour, but the logic would be very complicated on our side so it's not something we could do for v8.

Thanks,

Rowan
Send me your scene!

2022-03-03, 10:02:10
Reply #448

aaouviz

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • Another Angle 3D
Ok, no problems!

Thanks, good to know. That would be ideal, but I guess it's probably not worth the trouble.

But, having said this, I think we've unfortunately taken a step back in terms of usability of the cameras now as the tonemapping was separate from the exposure. I lose all global tonemapping settings just to change exposure on a camera...? Not ideal to be honest and complicates things a lot I would say.

I hope my logic here is clear and correct. Apologies if I've missed something.
Nicolas Pratt
Another Angle 3D

2022-03-03, 10:19:07
Reply #449

romullus

• Global Moderator
  • Active Users
  • Let's move this topic, shall we?
    • View Profile
    • My Models
I didn't test new tone mapping yet, but i have to agree with aaouviz - it only seems logical that cameras should be able to override exposure separately from tone mapping, otherwise it would be major pain in the ass to re-create all the tone mapping operators in every single camera. At very least there should be a button "import tone mapping settings from VFB" in a camera.
I'm not Corona Team member. Everything i say, is my personal opinion only.
My Models | My Videos | My Pictures