Author Topic: Corona Renderer 8 for 3ds Max - Daily Builds Discussion  (Read 151841 times)

2022-01-25, 16:23:23
Reply #315

scionik

• Active Users
    • View Profile
In my opinion many people is seeing the new tone mapping as a game changer. I wouldn't set the hopes too high - it will not automagically change renders into photos... Just another, flexible tool.

instead of a thousand words

2022-01-25, 16:25:57
Reply #316

VASLAVO

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Same thing here, usint chrome remote desktop and ThightVNC, both same issue and not related to latest version, this happens since version 6 to 7

@danio1011, similar reports has been all over the forum lately. Apparently it's some issue with the V8 dailies.

Ok, I'd seen reports about drserver freezing etc, just hadn't seen anyone solve it by just clicking around on the screen...seems like a windows 'focus' thing on my end.  But I bet it's all related.  Thanks!
Hi,

Are you using some remote desktop software?

Rowan

I have similar issue and yes i use TightVNC software

2022-01-25, 16:28:09
Reply #317

Ondra

• Administrator
  • Active Users
  • Turning coffee to features since 2009
    • View Profile
In my opinion many people is seeing the new tone mapping as a game changer. I wouldn't set the hopes too high - it will not automagically change renders into photos... Just another, flexible tool.

You know Corona works like this since 2012 (w.r.t. the green-red interreflections)? Have you tried recreating the cornell box scene?
Rendering is magic.How to get minidumps for crashed/frozen 3ds Max | Sorry for short replies, brief responses = more time to develop Corona ;)

2022-01-25, 17:22:56
Reply #318

piotrus3333

• Active Users
    • View Profile

these comparisons are only spreading more misconceptions.

a video instead of words:

and there is noting primitive about Corona's tone mapping. all the tools are there.

Marcin Piotrowski
youtube

2022-01-25, 17:38:06
Reply #319

Yuriy Bochkaryov

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • Home Page
these comparisons are only spreading more misconceptions.
you want to say that we don't need ASEC, it's a completely useless thing?
But then why do absolutely all renderers strive to support it?
Why does the entire film industry render in ASEC color space? are they doing something wrong?
and I don’t understand why many people are negative about ASEC, as if it will replace something, and after its implementation in CoronaRender it will no longer be the same
It must be understood that the ASEC color space will not replace what is now, ASEC is an addition, if someone does not like it, you can always work as before, without changes
Personally, I want more features, the options that I have now are not enough for me, I have been waiting for 2 years when they finally rewrite the frame buffer with tonemapping, add color spaces, the ability to overlay and mix Lut and other other goodies that are in many other renderers, for example, in the same Vray, its framebuffer is just great, it has a huge functionality and is very flexible, although I do not like Vray as a render engine

and there is noting primitive about Corona's tone mapping. all the tools are there.
one button is enough for someone to work, and for someone 1000 buttons are not enough
everyone's needs and desires are different

2022-01-25, 17:57:16
Reply #320

lupaz

• Active Users
    • View Profile

we understand it very well
those settings that are now - they are not enough, we need a lot more, tonemapping should be developed, now it is very primitive
and no one bothers to use it as before - in order to get the results that you liked before, so I don’t think you need to worry about changes, you won’t lose anything, but only gain additional features

Not to start an argument or anything, but what's wrong with using Camera Raw in photoshop for all the tone mapping adjustments? I don't get it.
There's no way Corona can have more features than that.

2022-01-25, 17:58:24
Reply #321

piotrus3333

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Why does the entire film industry render in ASEC color space? are they doing something wrong?

to make the production smoother and future-proof the output. do you know why Corona uses wide RGB for internal color space?

nothing against ACES, quite the opposite. all against spreading misconceptions. not very constructive.

and please, indulge me: what is primitive in tone mapping in Corona? what is missing?
Marcin Piotrowski
youtube

2022-01-25, 18:15:46
Reply #322

Yuriy Bochkaryov

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • Home Page
but what's wrong with using Camera Raw in photoshop for all the tone mapping adjustments? I don't get it.
There's no way Corona can have more features than that.
and in Corona you work blindly?
I can't work blindly, I need to adjust the tone mapping in the framebuffer - then I see what else I can improve, change the albedo in the material or the intensity of the light-shadow play
in photoshop you can't affect anything but the picture, and if you adjust the tonemapping in the framebuffer you can make changes to the scene to further fine-tune the picture and get a better result
So why do we need photoshop? I think it will be great if we get the final result already in the Corona framebuffer
I still get the final result already on the render, I don’t like to adjust the image in Photoshop, but when the tonemapping is rewritten we will get new features, is that bad?

2022-01-25, 18:22:36
Reply #323

Yuriy Bochkaryov

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • Home Page
and please, indulge me: what is primitive in tone mapping in Corona? what is missing?
I wrote about the shortcomings more than a year ago and not only me
incorrect operation in Log mode - shadow areas simply disappear, shadows are covered with a black film, compression gives an unpleasant result, and so on
you can look through the forum, there are topics with discussions of tonemapping problems

2022-01-25, 18:22:44
Reply #324

muoto

• Active Users
    • View Profile
I tend to do most of the settings in the VFB, often no PS at all. So the more i can do, the better
I also made my own lut's to have more subtle control of the gamma curve, and gamut, and colors. But it's a bit a pain this try and error process.
Ocio support would be great also.
« Last Edit: 2022-01-25, 18:37:16 by muoto »

2022-01-25, 18:25:59
Reply #325

Yuriy Bochkaryov

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • Home Page
Ocio support would be great also
it would be great
I'm waiting for this too )

2022-01-25, 19:20:40
Reply #326

pokoy

• Active Users
    • View Profile
ACES might not give you a fundamentally different look in the end, that's why some say its urgency is blown out of proportion wrt Corona. Film industry is a bit different: with all the different image sources - different cameras for filming & CGI shots from 20 different VFX houses and different software used - they need some kind of a ground truth and consistency.

Also you need to ensure that all texture/color input is converted in to ACES... so implementing it needs you to lift a heavier weight than 'just' taking care of the final color transform.

OCIO... well Autodesk is trying to get this in, and it's better that way since any renderer could access it then, data would be easier exchangeable between renderers etc. As for progress, not sure where they are but the more people ask for it the more it will be seen as a priority. But people should really ask there, not here, otherwise nothing will change. Their roadmap was showing a few items that were removed recently... it's a mystery to me why people don't ask them why that happened and decide to complain about Max on their renderer's forum instead...
« Last Edit: 2022-01-25, 19:34:09 by pokoy »

2022-01-25, 20:48:31
Reply #327

piotrus3333

• Active Users
    • View Profile
I wrote about the shortcomings more than a year ago and not only me
incorrect operation in Log mode - shadow areas simply disappear, shadows are covered with a black film, compression gives an unpleasant result, and so on
you can look through the forum, there are topics with discussions of tonemapping problems

an example: tonemapper part of ACEScg>sRGB transform simulated with CIE. curve. it's just a curve. attached as LUT.

Marcin Piotrowski
youtube

2022-01-25, 20:56:51
Reply #328

Yuriy Bochkaryov

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • Home Page
an example: tonemapper part of ACEScg>sRGB transform simulated with CIE. curve. it's just a curve. attached as LUT.
I'm sorry, but your example is very simple, there is no difficulty in such lighting, what difference can you see here?
If I had all the tasks like your approximate render, then I wouldn’t need anything either
but the whole difficulty is in different lighting scenarios in large outdoor scenes, when there are a lot of objects of different brightness, when you want to show a juicy bright picture, but at the same time so that the white places do not burn, and the shadows have a pleasant gradation from gray to black, and not just black
in general, for understanding - we need a more complex scene with a more complex lighting scenario

2022-01-25, 21:08:24
Reply #329

piotrus3333

• Active Users
    • View Profile
lighting does not matter, a curve is a curve. what matters is how close these two are.
Marcin Piotrowski
youtube