Author Topic: HELP : PNG Bloom & Glare - Corona Renderer - 3ds Max  (Read 2560 times)

2021-04-07, 13:54:12

mvasse11

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Hello,

I would like to export my render as png to have transparent background (to put different sky in post production), but with this method I loose the bloom & glare effect. And if I save as JPEG, the background is black (you can see on the 2 attachments pictures).

Do you know a method to export bloom & glare effect as PNG?

Thank you for your help !!! :)
Mvasse11

2021-04-07, 14:16:54
Reply #1

TomG

• Administrator
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
Should be able to add a Virtual Beauty with no bloom and glare, and a bloom and glare pass, in Render Elements, and composite in post (though I can't remember if the bloom and glare tries to respect overall scene alpha as well - if so can just save twice, once with alpha for the virtual beauty, and once without alpha for the b&g)
Tom Grimes | chaos-corona.com
Product Manager | contact us

2021-04-07, 14:26:30
Reply #2

mvasse11

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Hello TomG,

Thank you for your answer, the bloom & glare pass in png is like in my attachment photo, and in jpeg i have a black background, so in photoshop with compositing i can't add my sky background....
Mvasse11

2021-04-07, 15:00:04
Reply #3

jms.lwly

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • jms.lwly studio
The Bloom + Glare pass that you have as Jpeg on the black background will work fine, you just need to use it as a Screen layer in Photoshop so it only uses the highlights (you might want to try other blend modes to compare).

I'm not sure there's any way to get the Bloom + Glare included in your alpha as it's not a physical object in the scene - so saving as PNG with the alpha cut out will always lose the B+G.

2021-04-07, 15:08:26
Reply #4

mvasse11

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Oh yes, it works ! Thank you so much !!! :)
Mvasse11

2021-04-07, 15:12:47
Reply #5

TomG

• Administrator
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
B&G pass in Render Elements would only have the B&G in it and no other objects, so would not look like any of the previous attachments :)

So you set up the render elements like attached, render once, and then save the virtual Beauty as PNG with alpha, and the Bloom and Glare pass as PNG with no alpha, and composite (all three attached). In this case I used "Screen" mode to overlay the bg pass onto the beauty.

I actually have a request I filed with devs for the b&g render element to not use the scene alpha when saving which would reduce the steps involved as you could save everything from the render elements with alpha, but the b&g would not include "scene alpha" and just "the alpha of the bloom and glare effect" (Internal ID=526830419) - but in the meantime... :)

EDIT - Posting after you got it working, but still, maybe useful for some to see it broken down :) Also wanted to add, random screengrab of Max UI was used as the background in the composite just for speed lol.
Tom Grimes | chaos-corona.com
Product Manager | contact us