Author Topic: New UVW Randomizer playground!  (Read 33362 times)

2020-05-30, 17:28:47
Reply #15

vemod

• Active Users
    • View Profile
I had! But apparently the wrong order? Seems to work nicely if you pipe it after the CoronaNormalmap :)
Thanks!

2020-06-02, 13:57:00
Reply #16

MattiasD

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • Key Visuals
I tried it out a bit and it works really well. I ll be using this a lot in the future.

Some remarks:

- Would it be possible to add use setting from map, like in the color correct node OR find an even better solution so we don`t have to plug these between every single map(albedo/gloss/normal/...) separately.
- For tiles/bricks/... it would be nice to be able to do a divide in the step size. Then you can set the u/v offset range from 0 to 1 and put in the respective number of vertical or horizontal tiles/bricks into the step size
- It doesn`t work correctly when using real world map size.
- Where is the number of tiles input for? Does it do something different then when you define this in your bitmaps u/v tile setting?

2020-06-02, 14:50:19
Reply #17

maru

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
  • Marcin
    • View Profile
I tried it out a bit and it works really well. I ll be using this a lot in the future.

Some remarks:

- Would it be possible to add use setting from map, like in the color correct node OR find an even better solution so we don`t have to plug these between every single map(albedo/gloss/normal/...) separately.
- For tiles/bricks/... it would be nice to be able to do a divide in the step size. Then you can set the u/v offset range from 0 to 1 and put in the respective number of vertical or horizontal tiles/bricks into the step size
- It doesn`t work correctly when using real world map size.
- Where is the number of tiles input for? Does it do something different then when you define this in your bitmaps u/v tile setting?

1) Yes, this is already logged as a feature request.
2) This should already work. What's the problem?
3) It should be the same or very similar.
Marcin Miodek | chaos-corona.com
3D Support Team Lead - Corona | contact us

2020-06-02, 15:55:19
Reply #18

alexyork

• Active Users
  • Partner at Recent Spaces
    • View Profile
    • RECENT SPACES
Does this new randomizer version work properly with forest pro? In other words, is the randomizer still being ignored by the forest (when driving the forest color by map, which is a randomizer map).
Alex York
Partner
RECENT SPACES
recentspaces.com

2020-06-02, 16:13:14
Reply #19

MattiasD

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • Key Visuals
2) Yes, it works , but:
- It`s not really user friendly:
- Not always accurate due to rounding.

3)

2020-06-02, 16:53:16
Reply #20

maru

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
  • Marcin
    • View Profile
Does this new randomizer version work properly with forest pro? In other words, is the randomizer still being ignored by the forest (when driving the forest color by map, which is a randomizer map).

Sorry, but I don't get it. Can you provide an example of how this can be used together, and what would be the expected result?

2020-06-02, 17:03:50
Reply #21

alexyork

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • RECENT SPACES

Sorry, but I don't get it. Can you provide an example of how this can be used together, and what would be the expected result?

Not in front of max right now but if you have a standard forest pro, and in the forest material assigned to it (to the geometry it's scattering) you can "use color by map" and load in a map there - if that map is driven by coronauvwrandomizer that randomizer doesn't work - it just gets ignored and takes the underlying map only, driving the colour of the forest.
Alex York
Partner
RECENT SPACES
recentspaces.com

2020-06-02, 17:06:28
Reply #22

maru

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
  • Marcin
    • View Profile

Not in front of max right now but if you have a standard forest pro, and in the forest material assigned to it (to the geometry it's scattering) you can "use color by map" and load in a map there - if that map is driven by coronauvwrandomizer that randomizer doesn't work - it just gets ignored and takes the underlying map only, driving the colour of the forest.

I can understand using Corona Multimap on a forest, but not sure about UVW Randomizer. I just don't understand the use case here.

2020-06-02, 17:10:02
Reply #23

maru

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
  • Marcin
    • View Profile
2) Yes, it works , but:

3)

2) It seems to work fine. You count vertical and horizontal rows. Then you divide 1 by the number.
In case of material 1 here the number was 12. 1/12=0.0833 (then you can freely randomize it horizontally)
In case of material 2 here the numbers were 16 and 6.
In case of material 2 I had to double the resulting number, otherwise I would get some visible repetitions, not sure why. Currently I am a bit too tired to figure it out, but doubling it worked. :)

3) This is a known limitation. We would love to fix it so that the UVW Randomizer would be usable with Corona Material Library materials.

2020-06-02, 17:25:48
Reply #24

alexyork

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • RECENT SPACES

Our typical use case would be a floorgen/railclone floor, using random mat IDs, using a coronamultimap to load in a bunch of maps (one for each tile) e.g. wood floor plank maps, carpet maps etc. that all works fine if you then plug that into a forest color material "take color from map". but if you run that coronamultimap into a uvwrandomizer to randomly rotate the tiles 90 degrees/180 degrees (for example) the randomizer gets ignored. you can test this by using a simple "arrow" map that should randomly rotate however you want.

I can understand using Corona Multimap on a forest, but not sure about UVW Randomizer. I just don't understand the use case here.
Alex York
Partner
RECENT SPACES
recentspaces.com

2020-06-02, 18:28:56
Reply #25

lolec

• Active Users
    • View Profile
2) Yes, it works , but:

3)

2) It seems to work fine. You count vertical and horizontal rows. Then you divide 1 by the number.
In case of material 1 here the number was 12. 1/12=0.0833 (then you can freely randomize it horizontally)
In case of material 2 here the numbers were 16 and 6.
In case of material 2 I had to double the resulting number, otherwise I would get some visible repetitions, not sure why. Currently I am a bit too tired to figure it out, but doubling it worked. :)

3) This is a known limitation. We would love to fix it so that the UVW Randomizer would be usable with Corona Material Library materials.

I think Segments is way more intuitive and easier to understand and use.

The fact that you had to fiddle and double the number and couldn't quite figure it out with 0 mental effort reinforces the point.
I understand the extra freedom you get from using steps, but maybe at least include both options?

Also, look at how people are responding to this playground thread. 0 images yet. Compared to other features, people jump right in.

2020-06-03, 00:58:32
Reply #26

shortcirkuit

• Active Users
    • View Profile
couldnt really get it to work with using real world size.... anyone else having this issue?

2020-06-03, 01:16:55
Reply #27

Rhodesy

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Looks cool. I agree though about the setup difficulty for regular patterns and having to think about the maths. Bit of a head scratcher.

Is there a way to quickly random mirror and or rotate a texture(s) in a simple grid? That could be a strong use case.

2020-06-03, 05:52:18
Reply #28

scionik

• Active Users
    • View Profile
couldnt really get it to work with using real world size.... anyone else having this issue?

yeah, it doesn't work

2020-06-03, 09:36:27
Reply #29

maru

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
  • Marcin
    • View Profile
@lolec
Segments - yeah, you are right. I will log this idea.
Logged:
(Internal ID=516561607)

@shortcirkuit
Real world scale - this is currently a limitation. Hopefully we will be able to lift it.
(Internal ID=512377837)

@Rhodesy
Currently it is always done in a "simple grid". :)
Rotation can be enabled.
Mirroring / flipping is not possible yet, but it's logged a s feature request.
(Internal ID=506702309)

Thanks for your feedback guys!
« Last Edit: 2020-06-05, 11:51:36 by maru »