Author Topic: Wrong reflections in dome mode  (Read 5228 times)

2017-08-01, 11:08:26

romullus

• Global Moderator
  • Active Users
  • Let's move this topic, shall we?
    • View Profile
    • My Models
I've noticed that when using HDRI loaded with CoronaBitmap in dome mode in conjunction with shadow catcher, it will gives wrong reflections, that are especially visible on the objects that are in close proximity with the ground. In some extreme cases it even looks like hdri was used in screen projection mode and objects start looking as if they was semi transparent. I wonder is this is a limitation of dome projection mode and cannot be fixed or is this simply a bug?
I'm not Corona Team member. Everything i say, is my personal opinion only.
My Models | My Videos | My Pictures

2017-08-01, 20:43:45
Reply #1

Tanakov

• Active Users
  • Corona is faster than diarrhea
    • View Profile
    • https://www.behance.net/Gringott
Im not sure od you are rights, have you tryed adding markers to mapa to make sure your claim is valid?
Using Corona since 2014-01-02
https://www.behance.net/Gringott

2017-08-01, 20:58:32
Reply #2

romullus

• Global Moderator
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
    • My Models
Like if what can be seen on the first attachment in my original post looks right to you? But actually i tried to place geometry markers yes, and reflections are totally off.

2017-08-02, 06:34:50
Reply #3

vkiuru

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Yeah before even reading your whole description on the matter I was gonna comment that due to visible lack of reflections taking the curving surface in to account it looks almost like it's just straight up projecting of semi-"refracting" the ground in some way :) Now I need to check my own scenes.. at least no-one's complained on anything so maybe no commercial stuff done where things would look this off.

2017-08-02, 09:40:05
Reply #4

romullus

• Global Moderator
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
    • My Models
To make it more clear, here's comparison of reflections in dome and spherical modes. See how in dome mode all lower portion of the bus looks very wrong, almost transparent and how it looks much better in spherical mode. I also combined those two renders in photoshop, leaving dome portion for backplate and spherical for reflections. Sadly it can't be done in Corona with global reflections override, because it's shadowcatcher that's causing these bad reflections.

I really hope that this topic will get some response from devs, because for the moment i don't know where to move it - to bug reporting or feature request boards ;]

2017-09-01, 10:48:13
Reply #5

romullus

• Global Moderator
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
    • My Models
Bump?

2017-09-01, 10:51:46
Reply #6

Juraj

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • studio website
Subscribing for answer too.
Please follow my new Instagram for latest projects, tips&tricks, short video tutorials and free models
Behance  Probably best updated portfolio of my work
lysfaere.com Please check the new stuff!

2017-09-01, 17:38:32
Reply #7

kosso_olli

• Active Users
    • View Profile
This is actually my first post, because I am a V-Ray guy...
But we had exactly the same problems with dome light set to ground projection. Don't ask me how, but Vlado figured out a way to fix it. I don't have the original images anymore, but it looked exactly the same: Objects seemed to be partly transparent when they were near the ground.

As to the other three images: The first one looks correct to me. This is the behavior I would expect because the lower parts on the front bumper are curved inwards, it of course reflects the ground it is standing on.
The other ones look plainly wrong because the reflections of the environment are way too big. And why there is nothing reflecting in the lower parts of the bumper, is a mystery to me.

I envy you Corona guys for your HDRi and dome mode stuff, that is exactly what I would need in V-Ray. Because there, changing the radius only affects the ground projection, but not the rest of the environment above the horizon line...
The V-Ray guy checking out Corona...

https://www.behance.net/Oliver_Kossatz

2017-09-01, 21:28:14
Reply #8

romullus

• Global Moderator
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
    • My Models
But we had exactly the same problems with dome light set to ground projection. Don't ask me how, but Vlado figured out a way to fix it.

That's nice to hear. It means that there is hope it will be solved in Corona too :]

I think i'll try to compare spherical and dome mode with reflections from a real geometry and see what will come closest.

2017-10-27, 12:57:38
Reply #9

Duron

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
Experienced this problem since the implemtation of dome mode too. And yes this is also an old known bug in vray back in the days but it got fixed as kosso_olli said.

I'm running corona 1.7 and this problem is still alive.

2017-10-27, 15:39:26
Reply #10

Juraj

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • studio website
By the way, since we can use VrayHDRi map in Corona, does that one work correctly in dome mode ? Or is the fix only in Vray somehow.
Please follow my new Instagram for latest projects, tips&tricks, short video tutorials and free models
Behance  Probably best updated portfolio of my work
lysfaere.com Please check the new stuff!

2017-10-27, 16:38:57
Reply #11

romullus

• Global Moderator
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
    • My Models
Now that's a million dollar question...

2020-02-12, 15:43:13
Reply #12

rowmanns

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
  • Corona for 3ds Max QA Team
    • View Profile
(Internal ID=461614509)
Please read this before reporting bugs: How to report issues to us!
Send me your scene!

2020-02-12, 19:04:11
Reply #13

pokoy

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Thanks for looking into this ;)