Author Topic: artifacts on step files import  (Read 796 times)

2023-11-08, 11:56:57

objectnull

• Active Users
    • View Profile
hello there,

im getting this weird artifacts on my imported .step file model in cinema 4d.
now i had this issue before and i know there was some option in experimental tab? where i need to check or uncheck something to fix this issue.
but i really dont know anymore what that one was.  (also google won't help me on this one).

i hope someone can help me find it.

thank you in advance

2023-11-08, 12:55:07
Reply #1

Nejc Kilar

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
    • My personal website
Hmm, are you by any chance referring to the "terminator handling" options under Developmental / Experimental menu?

What I typically do in these situations myself is I delete (dissolve) most of the CAD edges that traverse the flat surfaces of the mesh. Then I add in random plane cuts near any curved surfaces - really sloppily, just so the topology changes a bit and there are a few more support loops in there. That typically helps, at least on my end.

You can also try playing with deleting the normal tag and playing with the phong angle. Retopology generators tend to work fine as well although it depends on the type of CAD mesh you're dealing with.

On thing that is still on my personal to-do list is to see how the new phong tag weighting options affect things in Cinema 4D 2024. That seems to me like it would be the easiest solution :)
Nejc Kilar | chaos-corona.com
Educational Content Creator | contact us

2023-11-08, 14:20:19
Reply #2

davetwo

• Active Users
    • View Profile
As mentioned above, Phong angle is the way to solve this. try different (lower) angles until the artifacts go away

2023-11-08, 15:35:23
Reply #3

objectnull

• Active Users
    • View Profile
thank you!
terminator handeling it is.
setting shadow shift to 0.5, makes it alot better.

i know there are better options todo, but this one is the quickest.