Author Topic: Unreal Engine 4 for ArchViz - Thoughts?  (Read 292674 times)

2018-09-04, 02:57:41
Reply #390

melviso

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • Portfoilo
Opened the scene in 4.20 version:
 I am using the circle dof.

There is some improvement compared to 4.19. UE4 will be giving a livestream on cinematic depth of field on twitch:
https://forums.unrealengine.com/unreal-engine/events/1520940-unreal-engine-livestream-getting-to-know-cinematic-depth-of-field-sept-6th-live-from-epic-hq
Most definitely they will continue to improve it along with other features.
« Last Edit: 2019-04-13, 06:04:00 by melviso »

2018-09-04, 17:40:22
Reply #391

sebastian___

• Active Users
    • View Profile
This is way better. Even though it still looks like the edges should be a little more blurry and transparent, still it's clearly an improvement.
Can you get pictures where a blade of grass is so blurry and so close to the camera that it's completely transparent/see-through ?

2018-09-05, 07:34:09
Reply #392

melviso

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • Portfoilo
Ue4 has three DOF methods: Gussian, bokeh and circle dof. They work and appear different in ue4. The circle and bokeh dof mimicks real life camera DOF sort of while guassian is more post process bluring. I doubt it is possible to get it completely transperent or see through like I mentioned earlier, ue4 has sorting issues with transperency, most real time viewport have this issue.

2018-09-05, 14:37:35
Reply #393

sebastian___

• Active Users
    • View Profile
That's a great test and it's much improved even if UE can't get that completely transparent look yet of objects very close to the camera.

2018-09-06, 02:27:18
Reply #394

melviso

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • Portfoilo
Thanks. Further testing. It's definitely possible using a workaround/trick with material adjustments with dof.
« Last Edit: 2018-09-06, 19:11:48 by melviso »

2018-09-08, 15:49:33
Reply #395

sebastian___

• Active Users
    • View Profile
It's almost there, and the leafs are almost completely transparent, but I feel like the margins should be more blurry. Perhaps with further tweaking it's possible to get more out of it.

I took a quick photo for comparison. It's not pretty, but in front of the camera (lens 50mm, F4.0) there's a dry brown and a green branch and some leafs, and they are completely blurry and see-through.

2018-09-09, 04:42:25
Reply #396

melviso

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • Portfoilo
I tweaked it further but I don't think dof for game engines are like real world cameras yet. There are definitely some limitations but it can somewhat be close:- )
 I can't wait for the new lighting system they are working on. Hopefully we can get some info this year.

Also, UE4 devs posted their livestream about cinematic depth of field on twitch:
https://www.twitch.tv/videos/306700900

Also wanted to add this It's by UE4arch:
VR walkthrough:
Imagine better dynamic lighting, shadows, GI and interation in VR in the next 5 years. RTX cards definitely is a step in the right direction. Only with time will this be the future.

« Last Edit: 2018-09-09, 04:46:21 by melviso »

2019-03-15, 00:40:22
Reply #398

melviso

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • Portfoilo
Seems more progress is being made with ue4 and vxgi 2.0.1 tech

Ue4 raytracying tech with rtx cards. Still in early development:

2019-03-22, 06:50:25
Reply #399

melviso

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • Portfoilo
Latest in game engine demos at gdc 2019:

Quixel made a demo using ue4:

Seems Cryengine has a tech implemented for realtime raytrced reflections without RTX cards:
So it works with normal gpu. No need for RTX cards with their engine. My only gripe with Cryengine is it isn't very easy to learn. Ue4 is more artist friendly and Cryengine doesn't have a lot of available information out there when u need it.

Right now, a lot of animation film houses are looking into game engines as alternatives to making animated films, series and shorts. I am really impressed with the graphical advancements we are seeing.

2019-04-02, 22:16:56
Reply #400

rambambulli

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Cry Engine ray tracing look great. But can't beat the Datasmith workflow imho.

Can't wait to get started with this:
[/youtube]

I don't think I going to sleep tonight :D

2019-04-02, 22:47:56
Reply #401

sebastian___

• Active Users
    • View Profile
My only gripe with Cryengine is it isn't very easy to learn.

What do you mean ? I've heard this before, but the Cryengine editor, at least the old one, was modeled after 3ds max. So in theory and at least for 3ds max users, it should be easier than Unreal.
Unless you meant some other aspects from the engine, or the programing part.

2019-04-02, 22:51:55
Reply #402

sebastian___

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Wow, the path tracer included seems greet. Can you export videos with it ?  Because they said it's just for reference and compare.

Cry Engine ray tracing look great. But can't beat the Datasmith workflow imho.

Can't wait to get started with this:
[/youtube]

I don't think I going to sleep tonight :D

2019-04-03, 00:49:45
Reply #403

melviso

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • Portfoilo
My only gripe with Cryengine is it isn't very easy to learn.

What do you mean ? I've heard this before, but the Cryengine editor, at least the old one, was modeled after 3ds max. So in theory and at least for 3ds max users, it should be easier than Unreal.
Unless you meant some other aspects from the engine, or the programing part.

I have heard a lot of ppl who have used the engine in past say this especially when they run into technical issues, have questions, looking up tutorials, e.t.c. I have also tried out amazon lumberyard engine (older version of Cryengine)when it was first released and I found it problematic finding learning resources for it compared to Unreal as I found the cryengine tutorials available since they are similar were very limited. Exporting assets was old school compared to unreal not to mention the material editor.. Unreal community has been very instrumental in ue4 success as there are ppl who are available to help solve issues or questions u might have.
I admit Cryengine has made a lot of improvements over the years but UE4 is preferred because how easy it is to learn imho.

2019-06-06, 04:05:40
Reply #404

melviso

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • Portfoilo
The RTX cards have been out for some time now, out of curiousity, has anyone here tried out the card with ue4 and realtime raytracing? How well does it hold up and your experiences using it? I am wondering how production ready it is for animations especially archviz.