Author Topic: Problem with black specular?  (Read 4560 times)

2015-06-02, 19:00:07

juang3d

• Active Users
    • View Profile
I remember someone having a probelm with black specular reflections, I'm having the same problem here, and I think that someone discovered how to solve it, some ideas please?

Basically the problem is that when the light is too bright (like the sun) the reflection is black, so it gives a black specular.

Cheers!

2015-06-02, 19:16:16
Reply #1

romullus

• Global Moderator
  • Active Users
  • Let's move this topic, shall we?
    • View Profile
    • My Models

2015-06-02, 19:58:00
Reply #2

juang3d

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Yes, I found it just before I saw your answer. :)

Cheers!

2015-06-02, 20:18:54
Reply #3

maru

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
  • Marcin
    • View Profile
And there is a link to this thread in that article:
https://forum.corona-renderer.com/index.php/topic,6883
There are some workaround suggested there.
Marcin Miodek | chaos-corona.com
3D Support Team Lead - Corona | contact us

2015-06-03, 23:07:40
Reply #4

juang3d

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Yes, I configured the glass as thin glass, and that solved everything :) This should be fixed ASAP I think, because it renders imposible to use proper glass in a room :P

Cheers.

2015-06-04, 10:11:14
Reply #5

Rimas

• Active Users
  • Please refer all complaints to a brick wall nearby
    • View Profile
Agreed, this needs fixing ASAP!
A morning of awkwardness is far better than a night of loneliness...

2015-06-04, 10:25:43
Reply #6

maru

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
  • Marcin
    • View Profile
You don't need to use thin glass. You can use rayswitch material. In this message there is an example how to do it (.max file):
https://forum.corona-renderer.com/index.php/topic,6883.msg53753.html#msg53753

2015-06-04, 11:59:07
Reply #7

Juraj

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • studio website
IMHO this should be even higher priority than material glossy darkening on edges.
Having to use trick for regular refractive glass on architectural elements is quite debilitating given this is like the absolute basic of architectural scene.

Neither thin nor rayswitch provide correct result visually, outside of being quite pain in ass to do (as specially rayswitch).
Please follow my new Instagram for latest projects, tips&tricks, short video tutorials and free models
Behance  Probably best updated portfolio of my work
lysfaere.com Please check the new stuff!

2015-06-04, 12:56:54
Reply #8

maru

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
  • Marcin
    • View Profile
IMHO this should be even higher priority than material glossy darkening on edges.
Having to use trick for regular refractive glass on architectural elements is quite debilitating given this is like the absolute basic of architectural scene.
I created a thread about it with similar comment long time ago and there was virtually no response. :)

Neither thin nor rayswitch provide correct result visually, outside of being quite pain in ass to do (as specially rayswitch).
Sure, that's why I only recommend this as a temporary workaround.

2015-06-04, 13:17:06
Reply #9

Rimas

• Active Users
  • Please refer all complaints to a brick wall nearby
    • View Profile
Well, I've done my fair share of complaining about it, nothing we can do until the next core build (at least according to Ondra).
As Juraj mentioned here and I did in the main thread - this is important. In scenes where you have some sort of a frosted window (bathrooms), skylight (lobbies, etc) or a roof or whatever you're basically f**ked because there is no way to achieve correct speculars, even with certain fudges. You either give up the lighting or the glass.
This is a scene breaker as far as I'm concerned.
A morning of awkwardness is far better than a night of loneliness...

2015-06-04, 14:56:36
Reply #10

Juraj

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • studio website
Sure, that's why I only recommend this as a temporary workaround.

I am just musing, not necessary correcting you or anything :- )

I created a thread about it with similar comment long time ago and there was virtually no response. :)

Regarding response. I am honestly surprised. Any architecture with glass walls which is pretty common nowadays should make it very obvious, but maybe people don't notice what is wrong ?
Sometime the error is fairly subtle, and unless you make correcture (thin glass or rayswitch), most might not notice it.
Please follow my new Instagram for latest projects, tips&tricks, short video tutorials and free models
Behance  Probably best updated portfolio of my work
lysfaere.com Please check the new stuff!

2015-06-08, 22:29:21
Reply #11

juang3d

• Active Users
    • View Profile
The curious thing is that the project I'm rendering now uses a scene renderd in the past with some alpha (A7 or some dayli build near A7) and there was no problem in the past, because the scene rendered fine, and now when I'm reusing the scene and upgrading it, without changing a thing in the glass material I have this problem.

Cheers.