Author Topic: How to save exr at 300 dpi  (Read 9397 times)

2015-03-19, 21:30:47

arqrenderz

• Active Users
  • https://www.behance.net/Arqrenderz1
    • View Profile
    • arqrenderz
Hi i have a question, i was working with tiff files and when i save them from  the buffer those are coming as 300 dpi tiffs
But now im saving the renders as exr 32 bits (one file with all the render elemments)  but when i check on photoshop the files are 72 DPI
and some client is complaining about it, becouse the tiff that i send him are 72 and not 300 dpi.
So is there any way to save exr as 300 dpi? or i need to save all separate render elements as tiff images?

2015-03-19, 23:38:53
Reply #1

Ondra

• Administrator
  • Active Users
  • Turning coffee to features since 2009
    • View Profile
This is a 3ds max thing, it does the saving... I dont know if that option is there. The only thing I can say is that it does not really matter, since it is just a single value saved in the file that does not influence any information stored. But I know that clients are dicks ;).
Rendering is magic.How to get minidumps for crashed/frozen 3ds Max | Sorry for short replies, brief responses = more time to develop Corona ;)

2015-03-20, 00:33:53
Reply #2

Juraj

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • studio website
Congratulations on having retarded client, probably trying to print his pictures directly using Windows print manager.

Edit: Just do Frood's suggestion :- ).
« Last Edit: 2015-03-20, 12:15:37 by Juraj_Talcik »
Please follow my new Instagram for latest projects, tips&tricks, short video tutorials and free models
Behance  Probably best updated portfolio of my work
lysfaere.com Please check the new stuff!

2015-03-20, 11:21:48
Reply #3

Frood

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • Rakete GmbH
Why not just use image size dialogue? Load image into PS, go to Image -> Image Size (Alt-Crl-I), untick "Resample", put 300 into resolution field and there you are.

And yes, almost NO client is capable to understand the relationship dpi<->pixel<->print size. This has been in sum waisting about 3 days in my life explaning to different clients.

Another classic is "But, but... Our print service said It has to be 300dpi !" - for a 8x4m construction sign for example...

Good luck!
Never underestimate the power of a well placed level one spell.

2015-03-20, 12:14:54
Reply #4

Juraj

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • studio website
Why not just use image size dialogue? Load image into PS, go to Image -> Image Size (Alt-Crl-I), untick "Resample", put 300 into resolution field and there you are.

LOL, because I am stupid as well :- ). I was always sure the resampling untick would simply mean to omit the resampling using the algorithms.

I'll edit my post to use your simplest solution.
Please follow my new Instagram for latest projects, tips&tricks, short video tutorials and free models
Behance  Probably best updated portfolio of my work
lysfaere.com Please check the new stuff!

2015-03-20, 12:45:38
Reply #5

Frood

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • Rakete GmbH
That´s a pretty forward explanation for the reason (though i strongly disagree here) I´d feared you found something I´m not aware of in some technical whitepaper on page 2.402, printed in ARIAL 4pt in a footnote claiming that it is not very realistic to do so ;0)

2015-03-20, 13:35:47
Reply #6

arqrenderz

• Active Users
  • https://www.behance.net/Arqrenderz1
    • View Profile
    • arqrenderz
Ohhh man now i can sleep :) lol
Many many thx for the solution on these thing, i was thinking on re-rendering a bunch of images just becouse of this....

2015-03-20, 14:12:03
Reply #7

borisquezadaa

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Side note. I was thinking in suggesting the same thing about untick resample and save... but  i realized that opening the exr again opens at 72 dpi no matter what.
What i do with Corona My Corona post of random stuff rendering
WARNING: English.dll still loading...

2015-03-20, 14:48:02
Reply #8

Frood

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • Rakete GmbH
Photoshop and EXRs have never been friends (without plugin) and I don´t even know right now if the basic EXR format has some tag like dpi/print size. But he is saving out his images as tiffs so that doesn´t matter. Changing dpi in the EXR and saving it as tiff preserves the dpi settings in the tiff and he will have a happy client :)

2015-03-20, 15:20:26
Reply #9

Nekrobul

• Primary Certified Instructor
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
Try to startup a new file firs and then to import a exr file works out in CS6
---------------------------------------------------------------
https://www.blackbellstudio.com/
https://www.behance.net/blackbell3d
CEO at "Blackbell Studio"