Author Topic: Daily Builds 1.0 - 1.4  (Read 244783 times)

2016-04-06, 00:09:44
Reply #1125

ihabkal

• Active Users
    • View Profile
I think making de-noising work on high resolution DR renders should be a priority. it is a feature you use every time you render. I have 10 machines and I render 8000 pixels wide, now for night shots I sometimes need 600 passes to get a clean image and can take 5 or 6 hours to render across 10 machines. With de-noising I can cut that to 100 passes and only wait 1 or 1.5 hours. this is major savings in time, electricity, client waiting...etc. it is too good. I am rendering previews right now with 10 passes in 2 minutes and de-noising makes them clean enough to send. I used to render those with 50 passes and wait 10 minutes and they would look noisy.

2016-04-06, 07:53:34
Reply #1126

Christa Noel

• Active Users
  • God bless us everyone
    • View Profile
    • dionch.studio
I think making de-noising work on high resolution DR renders should be a priority. it is a feature you use every time you render. I have 10 machines and I render 8000 pixels wide, now for night shots I sometimes need 600 passes to get a clean image and can take 5 or 6 hours to render across 10 machines. With de-noising I can cut that to 100 passes and only wait 1 or 1.5 hours. this is major savings in time, electricity, client waiting...etc. it is too good. I am rendering previews right now with 10 passes in 2 minutes and de-noising makes them clean enough to send. I used to render those with 50 passes and wait 10 minutes and they would look noisy.
We're all here have the same strong feeling about denoise+dr like you do. :)

2016-04-06, 09:01:22
Reply #1127

Ondra

• Administrator
  • Active Users
  • Turning coffee to features since 2009
    • View Profile
denoising + DR works fine. DO you have any problems with it?
Rendering is magic.How to get minidumps for crashed/frozen 3ds Max | Sorry for short replies, brief responses = more time to develop Corona ;)

2016-04-06, 09:53:55
Reply #1128

Christa Noel

• Active Users
  • God bless us everyone
    • View Profile
    • dionch.studio
denoising + DR works fine. DO you have any problems with it?
oh hi ondra, with 16-4-5 dailybuild, I still cannot use DR+adaptive or +denoiser.
here check out the screenshot

2016-04-06, 12:53:23
Reply #1129

alexyork

• Active Users
  • Partner at Recent Spaces
    • View Profile
    • RECENT SPACES
My understanding is that DR + denoising = fine. DR + adaptivity = a little bugged right now, with adaptivity being disabled on DR nodes but not on the master.

The reality is that, why would you ever render the same full-res image twice, once with DR and once without? This isn't something I can imagine anyone doing. So the scenario where differences in noise levels are present is just not a likely one in production. You either render with DR all the time across a set of images or you don't, when working at full-res. So imagine the more likely scenario where you render the full-res scene with DR and adaptivity on, and it looks the way it looks. You then want to re-render a region of the image with DR off, but with adaptivity still on. The result will be different in terms of noise, but how different? The noise difference between the two would be so negligible as to be virtually invisible anyway. I would love to see some actual real-world examples of where this would be a problem. One of the main joys of progressive/noise-based rendering is that you can very easily merge between renders even with noise levels changing a bit.

In plain English, while this is a mild inconvenience *on paper* that will no doubt be fixed by 1.5, it really isn't an issue in real-world terms. You can always use strip rendering anyway if you need 100% consistency.

I think we should just let the guys crack on with a fix for this and carry on without getting our knickers in a twist. We are using a mix of DR, adaptivity and denoising on stills and animation on a daily basis and having zero issues at all. Production is the test, not speculation and guess-work.

Just my 50c, as they say :)
Alex York
Partner
RECENT SPACES
recentspaces.com

2016-04-06, 13:36:38
Reply #1130

fobus

• Active Users
    • View Profile
So there's a very little or no profit from Adaptivity in DR mode with many PCs. We're using DR with 15+ comps and if only master will use Adaptivity we'll lose all it's power.

2016-04-06, 14:57:21
Reply #1131

cecofuli

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • www.francescolegrenzi.com
Yes, it's a shame =(  I think it will be better to wait for the 1.4, but with adaptivity fully integrated in the DR, in my opinion.

2016-04-06, 15:09:09
Reply #1132

alexyork

• Active Users
  • Partner at Recent Spaces
    • View Profile
    • RECENT SPACES
So there's a very little or no profit from Adaptivity in DR mode with many PCs. We're using DR with 15+ comps and if only master will use Adaptivity we'll lose all it's power.

Well, you gain it's power 1/15th in this case. But don't see it as a "loss". It's a work-in-progress feature that works perfectly outside DR use. Think of it as a huge bonus in that common scenario. The benefit for standard non DR stills and animation is massive.
Alex York
Partner
RECENT SPACES
recentspaces.com

2016-04-06, 17:19:35
Reply #1133

fobus

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Yes, it's a shame =(  I think it will be better to wait for the 1.4, but with adaptivity fully integrated in the DR, in my opinion.

Totally agreed.

2016-04-06, 17:55:43
Reply #1134

Ondra

• Administrator
  • Active Users
  • Turning coffee to features since 2009
    • View Profile
1.4 will have so many features, there are bound to be some other problems that will show only in the long run. So we are planning to do 1.5 in quick succession to fix the problems and improve any weak points (stability, speed, workflow blocks, interactions when combining features, ...)
Rendering is magic.How to get minidumps for crashed/frozen 3ds Max | Sorry for short replies, brief responses = more time to develop Corona ;)

2016-04-06, 20:39:50
Reply #1135

Frood

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • Rakete GmbH
The reality is that, why would you ever render the same full-res image twice, once with DR and once without? This isn't something I can imagine anyone doing.

To answer your question, reality here is either:

"Cool, half of farm is idle, let´s do a quick DR so the client get´s the current state of the project today while I can check if everything´s ok when working on another one"
That is DR.

or

"Damn that dude on my right side is doing his bl**** animation sequence once again, farm will be busy for the next 10h. So let´s throw it in BB and get the result tomorrow noon."
That is single box rendering.

We do quite a lot projects iteratively with (expected) regular geometry/design changes. And a shot is almost always rendered fully even when only parts are changing. Then the result is just exchanged in the (non destructive) post - nothing unusual.

I´m now thinking of setting aside adaptivity until this is solved (even when I have to wait for v1.5) if I judge the situation correctly, because it will complicate things for us (different settings single vs. DR and/or noticeable different results).

Shifting from #passes to noise limit / sample error or whatever it will be finally called as stop condition may be a solution which I´m testing right now, assuming that the computed error level is the same with or without slave contribution. But there would be still region rendering where things may be completely different, let´s see.

(...)without getting our knickers in a twist.

Natives always force me to lookup something :)

Good Luck!

Never underestimate the power of a well placed level one spell.

2016-04-06, 22:29:15
Reply #1136

denisgo22

• Active Users
    • View Profile
I very sorry about don't working Adaptivity with DR mode, but perhaps it will be corrected later...
But in last Daily build also Denoising+DR constantly not working correctly, and make image darker after applying////
in previous versions of this happening sometimes but not every time///
Perhaps this problem with transfering Exr/Data from slaves???
What to do? Don't use Adaptivity and Denoise with DR at ALL???
Here is screen shorts
Adaptivity is OFF  in both cases///

p.s
as can be seen will have to roll back to the version 03/12/2016 which was more or less stable...
« Last Edit: 2016-04-06, 23:25:15 by denisgo22 »

2016-04-06, 22:43:21
Reply #1137

Renovacio

• Active Users
    • View Profile
I very sorry about don't working Adaptivity with DR mode, but perhaps it will be corrected later...
But in last Daily build also Denoising+DR constantly not working correctly, and make image darker after applying////
in previous versions of this happening sometimes but not every time///
Perhaps this problem with transfering Exr/Data from slaves???
What to do? Don't use Adaptivity and Denoise with DR at ALL???
Here is screen shorts

I asked about it. But my question was ignored. on page 75

2016-04-07, 00:00:26
Reply #1138

Frood

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • Rakete GmbH
But in last Daily build also Denoising+DR constantly not working correctly(..)

I can only confirm. I begin to suspect that it may be a kind of installation issue because I can´t imagine that this was not tested internally even if it´s a daily. Summary: No DR+denoise or DR+adaptivity possible with this DB.

Good Luck

Never underestimate the power of a well placed level one spell.

2016-04-07, 04:18:37
Reply #1139

Christa Noel

• Active Users
  • God bless us everyone
    • View Profile
    • dionch.studio
hi guys, and ondra,
I don't know what are incorrect things in my scene or my PC or my max. DR isn't completely usable. all scenes doesn't work in DR, even without adaptivity and without denoiser.
but when I did rollback to 1.3, DR works nicely.
win 7 sp3, 3ds max 2016 SP2,

EDIT: tested using latest daily build 4-5-16
« Last Edit: 2016-04-08, 03:26:37 by noel20 »