Author Topic: Daily Builds 1.0 - 1.4  (Read 244810 times)

2016-03-06, 15:14:45
Reply #870

Chakib

• Active Users
  • Corona Omnomnomer !
    • View Profile
After testing I can say that I like  the new denoising feature, It works good with big size renders, but when I use is for like a 720p resolution even with a little value the blur is very strong and looks like a paint effect, a video explaining it is a big welcome.

Maybe adding some options to control denoising blur's value depending on the render resolution.

2016-03-06, 17:06:01
Reply #871

Ludvik Koutny

• VIP
  • Active Users
  • Just another user
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
If you have fairly far converged render, then you should decrease denoiser radius, so you don't lose so much detail. Unfortunately denoiser radius setting is hidden deep in devel/debug for now.

2016-03-07, 00:15:18
Reply #872

snakebox

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • Snakebox Media
Wonder how noise percentage is calculated? I have some really simple scene - simple object with basic materials in white studio, lit by single HDRI. Pass limit is set to 50 and noise to 2%. Without adaptivity it renders in about 2 minutes (50 passes), with adaptivity it takes about same time (20 passes, 1,3% noise treshold). After denoise pass both images looks identical. I think it's perfectly normal. Strange things happens when i assign override material with CoronaWire map. Without adaptivity it takes about 2 min and with adaptivity - 4 min (50passes, 2,1% noise). After denoising both images looks identical. Question is why adaptivity struggles with wire? Could it more effectively distinguish texture from noise?

I would love to know exactly what the adaptive actually does, because I haven't seen any real speed gains.

So how does it work? the way I'm guessing is one of two ways:

1. it stops sampling in areas where the noise threshold has been reached, and therefor going through the max passes faster ( in theory) the more passes and the longer the render?  (shouldn't render time be shorter then?)

2. It doesn't affect render time at all, instead it increases overall quality by not having to sample the entire image every pass, but it's able to divert samples to areas that are still under the noise level? (doesn't make much sense if you don't set a max pass but only noise threshold).

I'm just not seeing any big difference when using it?  can anyone clarify?

thanks

2016-03-07, 00:45:45
Reply #873

antanas

• Active Users
  • Hmm ...
    • View Profile
Hi, I tested denoising interactive blend amount a little, well it's great and useful for the most parts but there's some situations where it is not - in some firefly ridden scenes those begin to disappear only when blend amount is cranked way up to 0.9 and above, thus making that blending quite useless for those renders, so maybe it would be a good idea to make some separate pass for those fireflies reduction only and then mix it as a base layer with the noise reduction pass + probably it would be good if that pass could have some sort of simple on\off toggle in vfb, or maybe you could make it separate and bendable too. Another way could be doing it completely in post like vfb+ does but honestly I didn't doo any comparison tests to see which of the two methods is less destructive for the whole image so got no real opinion there.

2016-03-07, 01:06:40
Reply #874

denisgo22

• Active Users
    • View Profile
All working very well, only one problem with DR and Denoise Filter, if the slaves sends or workstation gets Extra Data from slaves AFTER apply of Denoise Filter. in this case, part of the image is not processed by Filter////
Perhaps worth making switcher /None,Only Fireflies,Full/  also in interactive mode and add it in VFB UI ??
« Last Edit: 2016-03-07, 01:16:34 by denisgo22 »

2016-03-07, 08:01:09
Reply #875

lacilaci

• Active Users
    • View Profile
the new image filtering is fantastic :) ... I noticed that in this newest build 06-03 however if I select render region in vfb+ it will render the selected region, but on a random different position in the image (but it happens only in vfb+ so I don't know if corona is to blame)

EDIT: seems that the actual rendering of region is offseted in oposite direction from center. Only vertical position is wrong, horizontal is ok. So if I render region in the middle of the image (verticaly) it is fine. This wasn't a problem before.
« Last Edit: 2016-03-07, 08:45:35 by lacilaci »

2016-03-07, 08:16:06
Reply #876

Ludvik Koutny

• VIP
  • Active Users
  • Just another user
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
You should always start off with blend amount fully at 1.0 and decrease it only when you think denoising has ruined too much detail. Otherwise, no point of touching it, except for setting it to 0 to get output with no denoising.

2016-03-07, 09:30:59
Reply #877

Frood

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • Rakete GmbH
From changelog:

"removed bucket renderer"

Does that mean it gets totally abandoned now? Or may it be re-introduced when denoising/adaptivity for progressive rendering is completely done and debugged? What are the plans about bucket rendering?

Good Luck

Never underestimate the power of a well placed level one spell.

2016-03-07, 10:30:54
Reply #878

romullus

• Global Moderator
  • Active Users
  • Let's move this topic, shall we?
    • View Profile
    • My Models
The new build is great! One issue though, when doing region render, denoising is calculated for entire image. Is this bug, limitation or intended behaviour?
I'm not Corona Team member. Everything i say, is my personal opinion only.
My Models | My Videos | My Pictures

2016-03-07, 10:33:26
Reply #879

Bormax

• Active Users
    • View Profile
the new image filtering is fantastic :) ... I noticed that in this newest build 06-03 however if I select render region in vfb+ it will render the selected region, but on a random different position in the image (but it happens only in vfb+ so I don't know if corona is to blame)

EDIT: seems that the actual rendering of region is offseted in oposite direction from center. Only vertical position is wrong, horizontal is ok. So if I render region in the middle of the image (verticaly) it is fine. This wasn't a problem before.

The same problem with VFB+ here.

Thanks for a new improvements!

2016-03-07, 10:37:56
Reply #880

Ondra

• Administrator
  • Active Users
  • Turning coffee to features since 2009
    • View Profile
is it only vfb+, or also native 3dsmax buffer?
Rendering is magic.How to get minidumps for crashed/frozen 3ds Max | Sorry for short replies, brief responses = more time to develop Corona ;)

2016-03-07, 10:46:23
Reply #881

romullus

• Global Moderator
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
    • My Models
Native VFB too.

2016-03-07, 10:59:29
Reply #882

martinsik

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
I couldn't reproduce the problem with wrong y position, can you send me a simple scene where this problem occurs?

2016-03-07, 11:02:09
Reply #883

Ondra

• Administrator
  • Active Users
  • Turning coffee to features since 2009
    • View Profile
From changelog:

"removed bucket renderer"

Does that mean it gets totally abandoned now? Or may it be re-introduced when denoising/adaptivity for progressive rendering is completely done and debugged? What are the plans about bucket rendering?

Good Luck
It is abandoned until a need for it arises again (which may or may not happen). Only scenario I can think of is rendering huge resolutions with out of core VFB.
Rendering is magic.How to get minidumps for crashed/frozen 3ds Max | Sorry for short replies, brief responses = more time to develop Corona ;)

2016-03-07, 11:19:00
Reply #884

romullus

• Global Moderator
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
    • My Models
I couldn't reproduce the problem with wrong y position, can you send me a simple scene where this problem occurs?

Here's video on how to reliably reproduce it: