Author Topic: Daily Builds 1.0 - 1.4  (Read 248026 times)

2016-01-30, 14:03:11
Reply #720

Ludvik Koutny

• VIP
  • Active Users
  • Just another user
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
So first of all, I may be making things up here!  BUT! has anyone else noticed/felt that the interactive renderer in the latest builds is a lot slower and hangs max a lot more than it used to?  Arguably there could be something in my scene that causes this, as I am currently missing a bunch of textures etc, which... does it check for those every time there is a scene change?

Anyway it's faster for me to just hit render and see the first pass than to start interactive at the moment :/ 

Just want to hear if anyone else has noticed something or if my project here is just broken.

There have been many regressions in regards to IR performance in past, so it is very possible, and it would be great to catch this one and get it fixed. But that can not be done if you don't provide a scene where it can be reproduced.

2016-01-31, 08:55:24
Reply #721

snakebox

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • Snakebox Media
I will do some more testing when I get a chance, unfortunately I can't share this file as it's commercial :/  But I will keep an eye out on my personal project soon.  Or try to install the 1.3 build and see if it's different.

2016-02-01, 18:28:24
Reply #722

juang3d

• Active Users
    • View Profile
I read that you are going to start a new frame buffer effort, that is great, but I'm wondering how is it going with key features like adaptivity, noise reduction, volumetric rendering and "superfast" biased engine? (I heard about this last one some time ago and I'm not sure it was on the list at all, but if it is, it's really important for previews or fast projects) :)

Don't want to sound harsh at all, I just think that there are more important things on the waiting list than a new VFB (even when I can understand a new VFB can be beneficial).

Cheers!

2016-02-01, 18:52:40
Reply #723

Ondra

• Administrator
  • Active Users
  • Turning coffee to features since 2009
    • View Profile
Hi,

adaptivity,
Internal prototype done.

noise reduction,
Internal prototype done.

volumetric rendering
Not key archivz feature

and "superfast" biased engine
1.5 maybe?
Rendering is magic.How to get minidumps for crashed/frozen 3ds Max | Sorry for short replies, brief responses = more time to develop Corona ;)

2016-02-01, 19:39:19
Reply #724

romullus

• Global Moderator
  • Active Users
  • Let's move this topic, shall we?
    • View Profile
    • My Models
So first of all, I may be making things up here!  BUT! has anyone else noticed/felt that the interactive renderer in the latest builds is a lot slower and hangs max a lot more than it used to?  Arguably there could be something in my scene that causes this, as I am currently missing a bunch of textures etc, which... does it check for those every time there is a scene change?

Anyway it's faster for me to just hit render and see the first pass than to start interactive at the moment :/ 

Just want to hear if anyone else has noticed something or if my project here is just broken.

I wouldn't say it's slower, but it definitely feels much less responsive than it used to be. Just watched new Ludvik's tutorial (great one as usual) and must admit that my experience with IR is nowhere near as smooth as in this video. Need to install 1.3 and see if it'll get better.

Hi,

adaptivity,
Internal prototype done.

noise reduction,
Internal prototype done.

Ondra, can we expect to have those goodies in daily build this month? My hands are starting to itch... :]
I'm not Corona Team member. Everything i say, is my personal opinion only.
My Models | My Videos | My Pictures

2016-02-01, 19:44:24
Reply #725

Ondra

• Administrator
  • Active Users
  • Turning coffee to features since 2009
    • View Profile
I dont have a date yet, we will see how it goes. I have too much work right now
Rendering is magic.How to get minidumps for crashed/frozen 3ds Max | Sorry for short replies, brief responses = more time to develop Corona ;)

2016-02-01, 19:49:36
Reply #726

romullus

• Global Moderator
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
    • My Models
Sure, no pressure. It's better to wait longer and get more robust build, than a rushed one, full of bugs.

2016-02-02, 00:47:46
Reply #727

juang3d

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Hey Ondra.

All cool, I agree with Romullus, better to have something good than something... less good hahaha

Now regarding this: "I have too much work right now"

That's why I was asking for that info and questioning the new VFB initiative, why to start that initiative if there are others probably more important (regarding the kind of impact it's going to have in everybody's work) specially if you are full loaded, but in any case, I don't know your internal organization hence it's possible that the new VFB has nothing to do with the available resources for those other initiatives.

Regarding this: "Volumetric Rendering : Not key archivz feature"

Is Corona going to stay as an ArchViz render engine for much longer? We (and I suspect others too) have very different type of projects, some projects are arch viz related and some are more advertising and others are a mixture of both, so advanced features like volumetric rendering, hair support (even useful in ArchViz) and such things may be very welcome in general.

Being sincere, I'm tired of having the same fight with every render engine development team I faced, inside Autodesk, outside Autodesk, everyone seems to love to make render engines for ArchViz, and no one seems to be interested in making real evolutions that may have a real impact in other fields, there are tons of advanced features in vray that no one though that could be useful for viz, but they did that, and because of that no just archviz has evolved but vray was adopted in different fields that were not it's target (and that became it's target after realizing they were able to do it)
I have sincere hope you can open up a bit more the development for non-obvious archviz features in the near future, this is not a rant, it's just I would like to stop hearing that ALL the render engines in the market are arch viz engines, mental ray is arch viz oriented except if you use the standalone, maxwell is arch viz oriented even with it's advanced features they excuse it's speed saying that it is because they want better quality, any other engine excuse their lack of features with the archviz reason, while the archviz market is growing fast and the clients are asking for effects, for "wow" type of shots, for simulations, volumes, liquids, advanced integration with real footage, and similar advanced things.

Please understand that this is not a rant (because it's not) but as a though based in recent events and projects, arhcviz is not just "good light" nowadays, they want a feature film with feature film details, and we want Corona to deliver it :)

And about the 1.5 for the super fast biased engine, it's cool just to know that it's real, no matter if it's coming for 1.5/1.6/1.x or even 2.x, the sooner the better, but it's cool to know it's in your mind.

Cheers!

2016-02-02, 02:07:17
Reply #728

snakebox

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • Snakebox Media

I wouldn't say it's slower, but it definitely feels much less responsive than it used to be. Just watched new Ludvik's tutorial (great one as usual) and must admit that my experience with IR is nowhere near as smooth as in this video. Need to install 1.3 and see if it'll get better.

This exactly! Watching that tutorial made me think something on my system has to be way off. 

I will say that I have had extremely bad performance in 3dsmax 2016 on the latest build of windows10. It's so bad that I am heavily considering going back to... probably 8.1 as 7 unfortunately is getting quite old.

2016-02-02, 10:42:26
Reply #729

romullus

• Global Moderator
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
    • My Models
Just to let you know, i've rolled back to 1.3 and IR is flying again.

2016-02-02, 11:04:53
Reply #730

pokoy

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Thanks for the info. I didn't switch to 1.3 yet and was a bit worried that IR would be a problem, good to know it's fine in 1.3

2016-02-02, 11:33:12
Reply #731

snakebox

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • Snakebox Media

interesting!  I found no direct improvements in my scene but it is also very heavy and clumpsy, with displacement, bunch of forest pack pro objects and heavy poly trees.  both 1.3 and daily freezes for several seconds every time I move something and IR tries to update. before I can move around again.

2016-02-02, 11:56:18
Reply #732

romullus

• Global Moderator
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
    • My Models
I usually work with very light scenes - only a few objects, quite simple lighting, but even in this conditions latest builds have issues with IR. In 1.3 however, IR runs perfectly fine, no lag nor freezes.

2016-02-03, 01:34:29
Reply #733

snakebox

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • Snakebox Media
I usually work with very light scenes - only a few objects, quite simple lighting, but even in this conditions latest builds have issues with IR. In 1.3 however, IR runs perfectly fine, no lag nor freezes.

cool good to know. I will rollback too for general use.  Only reason not to I guess is the mentioned speed improvements in the dailybuilds from a while back.

2016-02-04, 14:57:05
Reply #734

snakebox

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • Snakebox Media
I just want to note that the reason I found terrible IR performance, I think, is because I am running on a 4K monitor, and even with what seems like a "small" window if I use one of the quads, the actual pixel size of the IR is just about the same of a fullscreen 1080p, which makes refreshing the IR a nightmare.  If I use the popout, and make it smaller, its a lot smoother.