Author Topic: Daily Builds 1.0 - 1.4  (Read 244887 times)

2015-07-28, 12:21:59
Reply #285

pokoy

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Uploading is unfortunately not possible... But in general all the scenes where I'm observing this are quite big, lots of objects and materials... As an example, entering a map tree of a material takes 10 seconds, it's something that worked better before on the same scenes.

2015-07-28, 13:42:54
Reply #286

Ondra

• Administrator
  • Active Users
  • Turning coffee to features since 2009
    • View Profile
if you have many materials with many textures on many objects, then a fix in RC3 could help. Try it out.
Rendering is magic.How to get minidumps for crashed/frozen 3ds Max | Sorry for short replies, brief responses = more time to develop Corona ;)

2015-07-28, 14:28:46
Reply #287

pokoy

• Active Users
    • View Profile
if you have many materials with many textures on many objects, then a fix in RC3 could help. Try it out.

Sounds great, thanks. Will try to give it a go later today and report.

2015-07-29, 12:04:32
Reply #288

pokoy

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Just tried if RC3 is better with this, unfortunately it's not. 55 seconds of temporary freeze to access/display a Composite map. To be fair, it's not a simple one but I feel like this has worked way faster before.
I'll make some tests and try to find out if it's something specific about my materials.

EDIT

There's a 5 seconds lag in ALL material actions, even with a very simple material used as global override. But from there the lag is growing with increasing complexity which I guess is natural. Still, way less responsive than it used to be for me.

BUG ALERT

I found a bug with the CoronaMultiMap not being rendered consistently, again. With IR, It'll randomly change colors when accessing the material and modifying maps or material values for example. It may stay the same when rendered in normal mode, but it also may change, sometimes... Really unpredictable, I can't find a pattern here but it's quite unstable.
« Last Edit: 2015-07-29, 12:20:33 by pokoy »

2015-07-29, 12:13:29
Reply #289

Ludvik Koutny

• VIP
  • Active Users
  • Just another user
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
Just tried if RC3 is better with this, unfortunately it's not. 55 seconds of temporary freeze to access/display a Composite map. To be fair, it's not a simple one but I feel like this has worked way faster before.
I'll make some tests and try to find out if it's something specific about my materials.

Composite map had always extremely slow UI. With all renderers. It's just very poorly written map in general. And if it refreshes in mat. editor, then Corona may be waiting for it. I'd generally try to disable mat editor updates for IR. There's checkbox for that in performance tab in IR frame. Enable material editor. If you disable that checkbox, it could possibly prevent Corona from freezing waiting for mat. editor to refresh.

2015-07-29, 12:25:44
Reply #290

pokoy

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Composite map had always extremely slow UI. With all renderers. It's just very poorly written map in general. And if it refreshes in mat. editor, then Corona may be waiting for it. I'd generally try to disable mat editor updates for IR. There's checkbox for that in performance tab in IR frame. Enable material editor. If you disable that checkbox, it could possibly prevent Corona from freezing waiting for mat. editor to refresh.

Just tried, getting same lag, ~50 seconds.

2015-07-29, 13:32:04
Reply #291

Ludvik Koutny

• VIP
  • Active Users
  • Just another user
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio

Just tried, getting same lag, ~50 seconds.

Does it happen only during IR? Or also when IR is off?

2015-07-29, 13:47:05
Reply #292

pokoy

• Active Users
    • View Profile
IR only. IR tends to have a lag for everything related to the material editor.

2015-07-29, 14:14:28
Reply #293

Ludvik Koutny

• VIP
  • Active Users
  • Just another user
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
IR only. IR tends to have a lag for everything related to the material editor.

There are some known issues with IR and material editor refresh. They should be fixed for 1.3 release. But most of them are related to slate editor. If you have slowdowns in old mat. editor, then I am afraid those will stay there for as long as we don't have some scene to reproduce it.

2015-07-29, 14:44:24
Reply #294

pokoy

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Ok, thanks. I know it's almost impossible to track it down without a repro case unless it's something obvious.
I'll try a smaller scene that I can share and see if the problem persists.

2015-07-29, 19:17:08
Reply #295

pokoy

• Active Users
    • View Profile
So playing with another bigger scene (that I can't share, again) reveals that IR experience has really worsened with the builds and RCs in the last weeks, moving the sun or rotating the environment HDR  for example leads to a 10+ seconds lag, although I have only a few objects being rendered. I am really sorry for not being able to provide any more than these reports but please take some time to test IR against bigger scenes. Simple operations lead to considerable lags, I just can't imagine I'm the only one seeing this.

Also, preparing stage always shows 'calculating displacement' for a few seconds although I have no displacement in my scenes. It may be normal but I wanted to let you know in case it does something it shouldn't.

2015-07-29, 20:29:42
Reply #296

Ludvik Koutny

• VIP
  • Active Users
  • Just another user
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
So playing with another bigger scene (that I can't share, again) reveals that IR experience has really worsened with the builds and RCs in the last weeks, moving the sun or rotating the environment HDR  for example leads to a 10+ seconds lag, although I have only a few objects being rendered. I am really sorry for not being able to provide any more than these reports but please take some time to test IR against bigger scenes. Simple operations lead to considerable lags, I just can't imagine I'm the only one seeing this.

Also, preparing stage always shows 'calculating displacement' for a few seconds although I have no displacement in my scenes. It may be normal but I wanted to let you know in case it does something it shouldn't.

Well, again, this will be almost impossible to fix without a scene. You can easily send us even several GB file. We can get set up for that. It's just up to you.

2015-07-29, 22:17:59
Reply #297

pokoy

• Active Users
    • View Profile
I know, unfortunately these scenes have to stay closed in the safe.   

Still, the displacement calculation being displayed while scene prep, is this just a 'placeholder', intended, or a possible problem? Just asking so it's not getting missed.

2015-07-29, 22:36:03
Reply #298

romullus

• Global Moderator
  • Active Users
  • Let's move this topic, shall we?
    • View Profile
    • My Models
I may found a just a right scene for you to inspect. Download free Corona ready tree model from Evermotion: http://www.evermotion.org/downloads/show/407/coconut-tree It's a fairly simple model with four 4K textures and simple materials, no blend mats nor other similar stuff, all textures are loaded via CoronaBitmap. Scene file is lightweight, but max loads it relatively slowly. All beauty starts when you open slate editor. Every single change in tree materials or maps cause a 3-5 sec lag. No matter if IR is running or not. Now if you change all CoronaBitmaps to MaxBitmaps everything becomes smooth and lag free. Change back maps to CoronaBitmaps and everything is still smooth. You may want to take a closer look at this scene.
I'm not Corona Team member. Everything i say, is my personal opinion only.
My Models | My Videos | My Pictures

2015-07-29, 23:43:27
Reply #299

Ludvik Koutny

• VIP
  • Active Users
  • Just another user
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
Hmm, yes, I think I encountered some CoronaBitmap lag as well. I do not generally use CoronaBitmap at all, so that's why I did not notice it sooner I think.