Author Topic: Daily Builds 1.0 - 1.4  (Read 244833 times)

2015-07-23, 17:34:35
Reply #255

pokoy

• Active Users
    • View Profile
This still involves manual work on my end - even if scripted it takes a lot of time depending on how many scenes you need to process. Every time a change to the BRDF is made. This is an issue and since it's probably not the last time a global render switch would be a safer solution.

Also, the notion of a clean UI (like a simple checkbox to increase flexibility for example) is being regarded more important than all of the productivity issues introduced with each point release...? Seems like the wrong focus to me, more so if you're facing changes every few weeks.

2015-07-23, 17:48:26
Reply #256

Ondra

• Administrator
  • Active Users
  • Turning coffee to features since 2009
    • View Profile
There is an option to globally disable the legacy mode on all materials in the mtl convertor.

Scratching my head here, I think it's best you make some thorough tests for yourself, there may be something unintended going on.

We did, and found no difference. Which is why I am inquiring a scene in case you actually see a difference.

BTW: I am hoping that the shading model wont change for a while now. We tried to do all changes we wanted to do in this version.
Rendering is magic.How to get minidumps for crashed/frozen 3ds Max | Sorry for short replies, brief responses = more time to develop Corona ;)

2015-07-23, 18:00:30
Reply #257

pokoy

• Active Users
    • View Profile
We did, and found no difference. Which is why I am inquiring a scene in case you actually see a difference.

That's part of the problem - if all that's exposed to the UI is 'Legacy Mode' and nothing else, I really can't give you any pointers. I can't tell in which DB I created this material nor when exactly I switched the legacy mode to off. I'll try to save out this material and will post here if it's reproducible on my end.

Does that mean I can have a scene with materials with different legacy switch behavior in ON state based on which build they have been created in?

And this would make it even harder to track down potential problems, but I don't know if my assumption is true.

Is it me or is the converter script missing from the Corona category?

2015-07-23, 18:20:38
Reply #258

pokoy

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Here you go, attached is the scene with a material and a gif showing the switch on and off.

- material created before GGX was introduced
- changed (Legacy mode set to OFF) in daily build '2015-06-20 1.1 legacy hotfix' and saved
- now opened in daily build '2015-07-22', where it opens with Legacy set to ON

Nevermind the question about the script, found it.

2015-07-23, 18:24:47
Reply #259

Ondra

• Administrator
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
ok, one more detail I should add - it is intended to render the same only compared to previous stable release (1.1 or 1.1.1), not when updating from each daily build to each different daily build...
Rendering is magic.How to get minidumps for crashed/frozen 3ds Max | Sorry for short replies, brief responses = more time to develop Corona ;)

2015-07-23, 18:37:31
Reply #260

pokoy

• Active Users
    • View Profile
ok, one more detail I should add - it is intended to render the same only compared to previous stable release (1.1 or 1.1.1), not when updating from each daily build to each different daily build...

Whatever the rules are, that legacy switch thing is dangerous because it doesn't expose what exactly legacy means.
I am quite sure everyone who switched legacy mode to off on his production scenes and opens them in 1.2 will ask the same questions.

FWIW, ran the script - worked fine, I'm happy it was that easy.

2015-07-23, 18:37:56
Reply #261

romullus

• Global Moderator
  • Active Users
  • Let's move this topic, shall we?
    • View Profile
    • My Models
So if i saved my scene with materials that has legacy mode off in V1.0 then will load it in V1.2 and will leave legacy mode on, it's not guaranteed that it renders exactly the same, right?
I'm not Corona Team member. Everything i say, is my personal opinion only.
My Models | My Videos | My Pictures

2015-07-23, 18:44:18
Reply #262

fobus

• Active Users
    • View Profile
ok, I tried 2015 and same result. The problem is that I cannot open debug symbols for your minidump. Do you have all service packs installed?

The crash in 2015 is not a problem I think. The problem is the parameters wired to "Sun rotation" and "Sun position". Since there are not such parameters all wiring is gone.

2015-07-23, 18:51:43
Reply #263

Ondra

• Administrator
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
So if i saved my scene with materials that has legacy mode off in V1.0 then will load it in V1.2 and will leave legacy mode on, it's not guaranteed that it renders exactly the same, right?

this is exactly the situation where the legacy mode should guarantee same shading

2015-07-23, 20:14:47
Reply #264

romullus

• Global Moderator
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
    • My Models
So i did a test between builds jun16 and jul 22 (1.1 vs 1.2)
If i understand correctly it should act exactly opposite - b1.1 legacy off should match b1.2 legacy on. As you can see it isn't.

2015-07-23, 20:17:20
Reply #265

Ludvik Koutny

• VIP
  • Active Users
  • Just another user
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
AFAIK not. Legacy mode switches BRDF from GGX to old Ashikhmin-Shirley. So legacy OFF in both 1.1 and 1.2 should produce identical results. Legacy ON should in both 1.1 and 1.2 switch BRDF to pre-1.0 Ashikhmin-Shirley.

EDIT: I was wrong. According to Ondra, there should be no difference between legacy ON and OFF as long as the material is not brought from pre-1.0 Corona version.
« Last Edit: 2015-07-24, 00:17:30 by Rawalanche »

2015-07-23, 23:38:55
Reply #266

Ondra

• Administrator
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
can you upload me the scene? I will debug what is causing the difference

2015-07-23, 23:41:31
Reply #267

romullus

• Global Moderator
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
    • My Models
Will do tomorrow.

2015-07-24, 01:41:52
Reply #268

juang3d

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Question regarding latest daily build, I'm about to start a project wich involves displacement for a character, since displacement is not fully stable in 1.2, is there a way to maintain the old displacement system to avoid problems in this project or should I stay in 1.1?

Cheers!

2015-07-24, 07:29:38
Reply #269

hubrobin

• Active Users
  • Light transport ninja
    • View Profile
Question regarding latest daily build, I'm about to start a project wich involves displacement for a character, since displacement is not fully stable in 1.2, is there a way to maintain the old displacement system to avoid problems in this project or should I stay in 1.1?

Cheers!

Hey,

did you have any specific problem with the displacement in 1.2? There were problems with memory consumption causing crashes, but those have been removed. There should be nothing stopping you from using 1.2. Let me know!

-Robin