Author Topic: Daily Builds 1.0 - 1.4  (Read 248015 times)

2015-07-17, 15:49:49
Reply #210

Ondra

• Administrator
  • Active Users
  • Turning coffee to features since 2009
    • View Profile
Yeah the Gizmo was perfect. It made perfect sense for sun, where I never use random position, but instead only iterate on single axis at time. To me I don't think of Sun as some positioned spotlight.
Also yes, as others mentioned, it made matching to HDRi an absolute breeze.

There needs to be a way how to at least get it back, can't they coexist somehow ? Who even uses the shitty viewport illumination ?

I also preferred the old version. But there were bugs with illumination display (which is useful to match shadows). So the new version won
Rendering is magic.How to get minidumps for crashed/frozen 3ds Max | Sorry for short replies, brief responses = more time to develop Corona ;)

2015-07-17, 15:57:37
Reply #211

pokoy

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Yep, makes sense. How is opening old files working, all converting automagically to the new sun?

Also, blame me for requesting viewport illumination from the sun object. It IS useful.

2015-07-17, 16:05:43
Reply #212

Ondra

• Administrator
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
Yep, makes sense. How is opening old files working, all converting automagically to the new sun?

yes, should be. All scenes I tried did it without problems.
Rendering is magic.How to get minidumps for crashed/frozen 3ds Max | Sorry for short replies, brief responses = more time to develop Corona ;)

2015-07-17, 16:10:31
Reply #213

fobus

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Even with sun animated through wired parameters?

2015-07-17, 16:11:12
Reply #214

VASLAVO

• Active Users
    • View Profile
ok, thanks for the response, but if theres a way to have both versions and they can co-exist it will be awesome, like 3dsmax sun that its located on systems tab so like ive read, nobody uses the light display on viewport funtion jejeje.

2015-07-17, 16:24:23
Reply #215

Ondra

• Administrator
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
Even with sun animated through wired parameters?
ok, that might be a problem...

2015-07-17, 16:30:41
Reply #216

Ludvik Koutny

• VIP
  • Active Users
  • Just another user
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio

Here's a tutorial on how to wire new CoronaSun with Environment map ;)

2015-07-17, 16:48:57
Reply #217

Ludvik Koutny

• VIP
  • Active Users
  • Just another user
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
Omg ! the new displacement is freakin' awesome !
 Displacement modifier is also a much needed addition too, yet I think you could make it even more awesome by adding per modifier displacement quality settings, screen\world size and max subdivs or some sort dynamic\adaptive subdivision limit would make it just perfect and super versatile in many cases - imagine difference in needed displacement quality\precision for some close up ground\objects and some landscape\mountains\etc. in the background and I think one surely needs the ability to control that.
 Nevertheless, you have already done the most user friendly displacement I've seen till now so keep up the good work !

I agree with per-modifier quality settings, but max subdivs option will become deprecated soon. New displacement always creates as many polygons as it needs, not more, not less.

There should be only one quality parameter - size. In screen mode pixel size, in world space mode unit size.  Larger value - faster but low quality displacement / smaller value, slower but high quality displacement. One value, simple to understand. As for adaptivity, new displacement is adaptive by default.

2015-07-17, 16:57:49
Reply #218

pokoy

• Active Users
    • View Profile
As for the new sun, how about the target of the new sun will just be the old viewport icon and would update its rotation and zenith angle representation according to the main sun icon...? It could even display both values in the modify tab so you always exactly know what angle it's at. Does that sound useful? Is it even possible?

2015-07-17, 17:14:30
Reply #219

Ondra

• Administrator
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
combining the two approaches is generally not possible/wise.... it would be seriously raping the 3dsmax object system.

2015-07-17, 17:42:52
Reply #220

kregred

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Here's a bug with CoronaDisplacementMod

2015-07-17, 18:03:56
Reply #221

Juraj

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • studio website

Here's a tutorial on how to wire new CoronaSun with Environment map ;)

"Genial".

5 minutes to do what took 5 seconds (and which was precise to single percent). Same tutorial has been on internet for years by many others, like Guthrie,etc.. 

Hope someone can script some visual representation model to bring back the same controls.
Please follow my new Instagram for latest projects, tips&tricks, short video tutorials and free models
Behance  Probably best updated portfolio of my work
lysfaere.com Please check the new stuff!

2015-07-17, 18:17:38
Reply #222

Ludvik Koutny

• VIP
  • Active Users
  • Just another user
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
I don't understand. Wiring environment with old sun gizmo required exactly the same amount of steps and effort. Only difference was that you had to wire Rotation [deg] spinner parameter to U offset of the map, instead of Z rotation of the target. And rotating sun was then done by Rotation [deg] parameter, where as now is done by rotating target in Z axis. I just tried it with older build to be sure, and it's not slower, nor faster to accomplish.
« Last Edit: 2015-07-17, 18:22:33 by Rawalanche »

2015-07-17, 18:25:02
Reply #223

Ludvik Koutny

• VIP
  • Active Users
  • Just another user
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
Actually i take that back. It was a bit harder and took a longer time to achieve with the old gizmo, because once you wired Rotation [deg] to U offset, you still had to do additional manual numeric offset to align horizontal rotation of the gizmo to the sun disc on environment map. That took a while by trying hit and miss values until it lined up.

Whereas with new Sun, you can just grab the sun in viewport, and move it around using move gizmo so it lines up. A lot faster imo.

2015-07-17, 19:30:43
Reply #224

Ludvik Koutny

• VIP
  • Active Users
  • Just another user
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
And here's a video:

Showing that new CoronaSun object is as fast, if not faster to use than the old one. If anyone has any use case where usage of new gizmo is significantly worse/slower than the old one, then let me know so I can try it out. I have no problem changing my mind and trying to convince Ondra to change his if a reasonable evidence is presented.