Author Topic: Daily Builds 1.0 - 1.4  (Read 244854 times)

2015-07-17, 09:19:48
Reply #195

Ondra

• Administrator
  • Active Users
  • Turning coffee to features since 2009
    • View Profile
hi guys, thanks for the release, testing right now, no errors, i have only a question, is there a way to have also the corona sun old interface too? it was very easy to set up with hdri

no. I should have known there were people who preferred the old way, only they were silent ;)
Rendering is magic.How to get minidumps for crashed/frozen 3ds Max | Sorry for short replies, brief responses = more time to develop Corona ;)

2015-07-17, 09:43:21
Reply #196

Ludvik Koutny

• VIP
  • Active Users
  • Just another user
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
Actually new way very similar to old way, it's just that not many people really know how to use 3ds Max. I'll make tutorial on it.

2015-07-17, 11:12:17
Reply #197

Ondra

• Administrator
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
Rendering is magic.How to get minidumps for crashed/frozen 3ds Max | Sorry for short replies, brief responses = more time to develop Corona ;)

2015-07-17, 11:18:39
Reply #198

racoonart

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • racoon-artworks
It also broke the converter :P
And I actually liked the visual representation of the angles. It was clear where the light is located even from perspective and orthogonal views - now it's as every other light in max.. "somewhere in space"

« Last Edit: 2015-07-17, 11:43:56 by Rawalanche »
Any sufficiently advanced bug is indistinguishable from a feature.

2015-07-17, 11:44:11
Reply #199

Ludvik Koutny

• VIP
  • Active Users
  • Just another user
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
It also broke the converter :P
And I actually liked the visual representation of the angles. It was clear where the light is located even from perspective and orthogonal views - now it's as every other light in max.. "somewhere in space"

But then if you wanted to exactly orient the sun, you had to keep dragging two spinners around to do so instead of just grabbing move gizmo and placing the sun the way you want it :)

BTW sorry, accidentally clicked modify instead of quote ;)

2015-07-17, 11:47:05
Reply #200

pokoy

• Active Users
    • View Profile
So the old sun object is gone?

2015-07-17, 11:49:11
Reply #201

Ludvik Koutny

• VIP
  • Active Users
  • Just another user
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
Yup... any reason to have it back?

2015-07-17, 11:53:31
Reply #202

Ondra

• Administrator
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
I would gladly keep it. But it had one huge problem: its illumination could not be displayed in viewport properly.

2015-07-17, 12:04:20
Reply #203

pokoy

• Active Users
    • View Profile
I would gladly keep it. But it had one huge problem: its illumination could not be displayed in viewport properly.

I see - I wonder if that could've been solved on Autodesk's end without having to throw away the old sun...
There was one thing I like though, it was very straightforward to match sun position on a photograph backplate with it: you could place it at where the shadow ends on the ground in the image and move the sliders until it matches. This is less intuitive with the standard target light as you have no indication of the height of the sun, it's all one light without any real representation of where the sun really is.

How's the conversion done when loading an old project? Is a new sun created matching the old sun or do we need to do this manually?

2015-07-17, 12:39:34
Reply #204

Juraj

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • studio website
Yeah the Gizmo was perfect. It made perfect sense for sun, where I never use random position, but instead only iterate on single axis at time. To me I don't think of Sun as some positioned spotlight.
Also yes, as others mentioned, it made matching to HDRi an absolute breeze.

There needs to be a way how to at least get it back, can't they coexist somehow ? Who even uses the shitty viewport illumination ?
Please follow my new Instagram for latest projects, tips&tricks, short video tutorials and free models
Behance  Probably best updated portfolio of my work
lysfaere.com Please check the new stuff!

2015-07-17, 12:45:45
Reply #205

nehale

• Active Users
    • View Profile
...Who even uses the shitty viewport illumination ?

hahaha
I had a girlfriend once.....her name was Vray

2015-07-17, 13:14:05
Reply #206

Ludvik Koutny

• VIP
  • Active Users
  • Just another user
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
There are reasons Max's direct light and Vray sun are the way they are. Those reasons may not be obvious to archviz oriented users, but for example animating simple daylight cycle with the gizmo was very painful process.

2015-07-17, 13:26:21
Reply #207

xt13r

• Active Users
  • Viva la Corona!
    • View Profile
    • my portfolio
As i can see workflow with bump settings changed, am i right?
For example, if later i've set  it about 0.1-0.2, now to achieve the same result i should set it 4 times bigger i.e. 0.4-0.8, right?

2015-07-17, 15:23:54
Reply #208

Ludvik Koutny

• VIP
  • Active Users
  • Just another user
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
As i can see workflow with bump settings changed, am i right?
For example, if later i've set  it about 0.1-0.2, now to achieve the same result i should set it 4 times bigger i.e. 0.4-0.8, right?

Yup, bump is now by default 4* weaker, so default strength is now on par with Vray/MR. Some of the newbie users usually posted renders where bump mapping was way overkilled, since they just enabled the bump but did not really tweak the value. Professional users would also have to use some low numbers like 0.2-0.02 to get realistic subtle bump. It's kinda annoying to work is such a low range, so default should be something sensible :)

2015-07-17, 15:48:16
Reply #209

antanas

• Active Users
  • Hmm ...
    • View Profile
 Omg ! the new displacement is freakin' awesome !
 Displacement modifier is also a much needed addition too, yet I think you could make it even more awesome by adding per modifier displacement quality settings, screen\world size and max subdivs or some sort dynamic\adaptive subdivision limit would make it just perfect and super versatile in many cases - imagine difference in needed displacement quality\precision for some close up ground\objects and some landscape\mountains\etc. in the background and I think one surely needs the ability to control that.
 Nevertheless, you have already done the most user friendly displacement I've seen till now so keep up the good work !