Author Topic: Help on Decal with Clear Acetate Tag  (Read 462 times)

2024-03-04, 16:11:19

Byteman3D

• Active Users
    • View Profile
I've been struggling with a scene using decal.  Shampoo bottle in the attachment.
Previously I was given an opaque tag and used the decal function perfectly. Finished everyting, but it turned out the tags were printed on transparent acetate.

As you can imagine there has to be two opacity maps here. One for the transparent tag shape and one for the printed colors.
Actually the tag shape has to have a more glossy material entirely and image. I'd normally do that with assigning glossiness maps, may be multiple materials and UV IDs but I have completed the entire animation with decal and there are 12 bottles.

I couldn't figure out two cutouts in a single material on decal. (one will be representing a different glossiness only)

2024-03-04, 16:54:28
Reply #1

maru

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
  • Marcin
    • View Profile
An interesting issue!
How about using two decals - one with the highly polished transparent material (closer to the surface, "affect color" disabled) and one with the full material (farther away from the surface)?
Marcin Miodek | chaos-corona.com
3D Support Team Lead - Corona | contact us

2024-03-04, 17:36:05
Reply #2

Byteman3D

• Active Users
    • View Profile
My brain was billowing green smoke. :D  Really appreciate it Maru!
I actually used 2 decals at one part of the animation for the round "Claim word" on the upper portion of the bottle, but I couldn't match the two for this purpose. Then I can also add a thin bump for the tag, too?

Edit:
I've just achieved an acceptable result by adding my borderless (images masked) version to diffuse channel and a greyscale border shape map to the clearcoat amoun. It worked but the border needs some thickness. Any ideas? Guess it requires a second decal here?

« Last Edit: 2024-03-04, 17:55:54 by Byteman3D »

2024-03-04, 18:51:00
Reply #3

romullus

• Global Moderator
  • Active Users
  • Let's move this topic, shall we?
    • View Profile
    • My Models
Edit:
I've just achieved an acceptable result by adding my borderless (images masked) version to diffuse channel and a greyscale border shape map to the clearcoat amoun. It worked but the border needs some thickness. Any ideas? Guess it requires a second decal here?

You can plug opacity map to the bump slot, it gives quite nice impression of thickness.
I'm not Corona Team member. Everything i say, is my personal opinion only.
My Models | My Videos | My Pictures

2024-03-04, 23:18:04
Reply #4

Byteman3D

• Active Users
    • View Profile
I turned to two decals method as it is easier to control in any case, but I face another issue, my transparent decal with Affect Base option, diffuse disabled gave the common error message "Affecting only a part of a base material is only supported if both materials are Corona Physical Materials."

It is the material of the sixth bottle from right. Transparent tag appears black.  The reason is obvious, there is a layered material on that object, but I need those layers because 3 logos appear one by one on that bottle.

What is the workaround here? Is it again separate decals for layers or is there a switch that handles things automatically.
I'm not being lazy but fear disrupting the complex animations on the object.

2024-03-05, 00:01:55
Reply #5

romullus

• Global Moderator
  • Active Users
  • Let's move this topic, shall we?
    • View Profile
    • My Models
You can do layering per map instead per material. That way you could get away without layered material and decals would work without limitations.
I'm not Corona Team member. Everything i say, is my personal opinion only.
My Models | My Videos | My Pictures