Author Topic: Can we talk about how you go about prepping a model from the client?  (Read 2288 times)

2022-08-06, 09:55:19

CrimeMastarGoGo

• Users
    • View Profile
Hi everyone,
 Long time Corona User and lurker, first time poster.
I'm not a big fan of modeling from CAD, and I do feel a sense of relief when the client provides the model. Either Revit, Ketchup or FBX.
But whenever I get a model from the client, relief quickly turns to disappointment, exasperation and even a bit of anger.
Bad Geometry, too much geometry [inner walls, insulation, drainage pipes and what not], too many Multi-Sub object materials.

Here are my steps. It's not set in stone, but ...

*) Run Corona Converter script and get rid of all Autodesk Physical Materials.
*) Find the glass, add temporary glass material, set object colour and move it to a separate glass layer. Final materials will be once client provides more details for each glass type.
*) Separate layer for things that will be remodeled using RailClone or any other plugin. e.g. Balcony railings.
*)Pick each piece of geometry from top to bottom, give them temporary diffuse colours in the material editor. Dull colours for outer surfaces, super bright fluorescent colours for inner walls and other crap. The idea is to only keep parts of walls and ceiling that are visible and just delete the rest later.
*)Use Quadify Mesh modifier [be sure to save often as it crashes a lot] and collapse to editable poly.
*) Reset Transforms.
*) Create logical layers.  Go through the layers again and start mapping and texturing.

I find myself going into rabbit holes, wasting time on things that will probably not be seen or will be deleted later lol.
Can you guys share your process? Any tips?
Thanks all.

2022-08-10, 11:49:52
Reply #1

dj_buckley

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Honestly, my first step is to inform the client at quote stage, that any provided 3D models, will only be used for previz/white cards.  And for the final images, we'll be remodeling it from scratch, and the associated cost for doing so is then factored into the quote.

It's often a lot more profitable to model from scratch, then it is to reverse engineer and make good a provided model.

2022-08-12, 05:31:24
Reply #2

CrimeMastarGoGo

• Users
    • View Profile
Thank you for your reply.
I agree with you, we cant polish a turd.
Unfortunately I don't have that kind of clout right now.
Client acts like he's doing us a favour.

2022-09-01, 09:27:52
Reply #3

Alex Abarca

• Active Users
  • Corona Certified Instructor
    • View Profile
    • Instagram
Revit models are usually modeled in such a way to produce plans, elevation and sections. But 99% of the time they are not visualization ready. So it is expected that the visual artist has to do some model embellishment, this happens usually on top of what's already modeled and I think its huge time saver because we don't have to work out a lot things dimensionally speaking. So if I can give you some advice based on experience, always expect that the model needs your artistic touch. I guess entering the project with this mindset might alleviate some of harsh feelings and enter the project like a creative problem solver.

Ketchup, yeah that modeling is usually pretty gnarly. I hear some people in forums charge extra, because it's time consuming. When I see ketchup I know that I have to re-model it for sure.

2022-09-15, 23:56:32
Reply #4

CrimeMastarGoGo

• Users
    • View Profile

2022-09-16, 11:25:25
Reply #5

Juraj

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • studio website
Often it can be beneficial to learn basics of other software (AutoCAD, Revit, Sketchup, etc..) so that certain clean-up can be done before importing to 3dsMax, where it will be lot more cumbersome.

I work often with Inventor models from Furniture companies in form of STEP file. That one is quite useful as it's parametric, it can look like crap in viewport but render in high definition. I use scripts (available for free online) to set them like that (shit viewport, HQ render).
In this way, native formats are often better than exported formats (like 3ds, OBJ), for which you no longer have any control.

I don't remodel parts that provide no artifacts and don't require further detail. Render-time effects like 'Round Edges' is very useful to make this look ok.
I don't UVW map when not needed. Triplanar Shading is automatic and geometry-agnostic. I use world-mapped mode of Triplanar if the Geo is wrong internal scale. World mapping is faster and more painless than resetting X-Form and finding the geo has exploded somewhere...

I tell to clients, every time, for every job, I repeat it endlessly, so they never forget :- ), that the model is nice and useful reference, but that's about it. I remind them how much work I do nonetheless.
I tell this even to clients I worked with for 10 years. I still tell them for every single job :- ). Thell them in friendly and informative way, but briefly.
Please follow my new Instagram for latest projects, tips&tricks, short video tutorials and free models
Behance  Probably best updated portfolio of my work
lysfaere.com Please check the new stuff!

2022-09-19, 10:15:45
Reply #6

CrimeMastarGoGo

• Users
    • View Profile
Thank you Juraj.
Lots of things for me to think about, in your post.