Author Topic: 4K Cache questions  (Read 2862 times)

2021-12-17, 17:28:07

John.McWaters

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • JohnMcWaters.com
Is it okay to use the 4K cache instead of UHD Cache for rendering? What are the benefits and drawbacks? I know it's still labeled as experimental, but has it seen enough development since the release of Corona 7 to be considered on par with UHD cache?

How does the 4K cache work that is different from UHD?

edit: I found this

The 4K cache uses only partial caching, so does not try to interpolate everything. While this is slower than a fully cached solution (such as irradiance caching), it does not create artifacts, only noise that eventually goes away.

The 4K cache is an ideal solution for animation, and significantly reduces flickering even when light sources or geometry are moving. This is especially important when the cache cannot be precomputed.

« Last Edit: 2021-12-17, 17:32:08 by John.McWaters »

2022-01-03, 07:19:28
Reply #1

maou42

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Hi

One of the devs told me that one should use 4K cache because it is physically more accurate. However, it can lead to some problems in some specific settings and lead to black square artefacts in which case one should revert to UHD cache.

The artefacts are apparently very obvious and if one does not notice anything out of the ordinary, then it is all good...

2022-01-14, 07:52:41
Reply #2

Ryuu

• Former Corona Team Member
  • Active Users
  • Michal
    • View Profile
This thing

The 4K cache uses only partial caching, so does not try to interpolate everything. While this is slower than a fully cached solution (such as irradiance caching), it does not create artifacts, only noise that eventually goes away.

is also true for the UHD cache, so no difference there.

Apart from occasional bugs already mentioned, there is also performance difference. UHD tends to be faster than 4K on low core count CPUs (e.g. 4-core i7s), while 4K cache tends to be faster than UHD on higher count CPUs (e.g. 16-core threadrippers).

2022-01-14, 10:10:36
Reply #3

romullus

• Global Moderator
  • Active Users
  • Let's move this topic, shall we?
    • View Profile
    • My Models
Apart from occasional bugs already mentioned, there is also performance difference. UHD tends to be faster than 4K on low core count CPUs (e.g. 4-core i7s), while 4K cache tends to be faster than UHD on higher count CPUs (e.g. 16-core threadrippers).

That's useful information. Thank you!
I'm not Corona Team member. Everything i say, is my personal opinion only.
My Models | My Videos | My Pictures

2022-01-22, 02:59:43
Reply #4

maou42

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Thank you for your replies.