Author Topic: Max freeze for a long time after stopping IR and sometimes regular render  (Read 6876 times)

2021-02-07, 19:48:28

v.p.vlasenko

• Active Users
    • View Profile
The problem looks similar to already posted here by mahjoub but I created a new topic because of:

1. It happens for a couple of years already and I'm using the latest daily builds, so the problem here for a long time.
2. Happens in completely (almost) different scenes.
3. Not looks like it bound to resolution.

Almost different is because those scenes have something similar - a lot of objects and a lot of materials (and big scale, but I don't think that's the problem). It never happened with productviz scenes and some small archviz like couple of buildings or some interiors.

So the problem: if I run IR and moving or creating objects, moving camera - all fine most of the time, let's say 95% it works fine - I can stop IR and all good. BUT, if I do changes to some materials - it works fine until I stop IR, then max becomes locked for a long time (5-40 min). And again that not 100% cases but it almost for sure, that after doing changes it'll lock max.

Sometimes that happened if I even didn't make any changes, so just run IR and stop it after some time lock max as well, same for regular render - but that happens rarely.

The problem occurs even with isolated objects, so hiding everything except one certain object will behave same way, so I have to move that object to another scene to work with it and then back.

Another interesting thing - sometimes I still can work for a couple of seconds after closing IR and then max became locked.

At some point in those scenes I stopped using IR and did regular test renders instead with cancel at the end, not stopping. Can't say for sure, but seems like cancel work better - I can't remember freeze after cancel, but can't guarantee that.

And one more thing I tried - selected all objects in scene (seems like there were around 12k of them) and applied one material to all. IR seems to be running ok after that. I did 3-4 runs, applied some materials to few objects during IR and seems like all fine. Again - can't say for sure if the problem eliminated, as it does not occur in 100% of cases.

Summary of the bug: scenes with high object and materials count, freeze occurs mostly after doing changes to materials during IR, but sometimes it happens without any changes and with regular render. PROBABLY reason is a lot of materials.

P.S. I'll create few more topics with bugs that annoy me for a long time and with newcomers found recently. That about 2,5D displace quality, openvdb and corona distance.

2021-02-08, 10:50:05
Reply #1

rowmanns

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
  • Corona for 3ds Max QA Team
    • View Profile
Hi,

Thanks for reporting this to us. We have had some reports of this in the past but we have had troubles reproducing this.

I have a few questions:
  • Which version of 3ds Max are you using?
  • Are you using any 3rd party plugins?
  • What are your computer specifications? i.e. CPU, RAM, GPU + windows version.
  • Are all of the above fully up to date?

Would you also be able to send a scene where you are experiencing this issue to us? The instructions on how to send it to us are in my signature.

Cheers,

Rowan

Please read this before reporting bugs: How to report issues to us!
Send me your scene!

2021-02-08, 20:33:00
Reply #2

John.McWaters

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • JohnMcWaters.com
It sounds like it's autosaving. I have a similar experience, and I've noticed with big files, autosaving will cause Max to go inactive for minutes as a time. If you're rendering, it won't autosave, so typically, when you stop the render it will queue the autosave.

2021-02-09, 10:38:43
Reply #3

Bormax

• Active Users
    • View Profile
I had the same sort of issues with heavy hanging of Max caused by IR+material changing, IR+material changes+stop IR. It was not connected with autosave - it happened even when I switched autosave off. In my case these happened with Max 2021.3+Corona 7 builds. I wrote about it in Daily Builds Discussion section. Corona 6 doesn't freeze the my Max and works fine.

2021-02-09, 11:07:48
Reply #4

rowmanns

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
@Bormax

Please would you be able to send a scene + reproduction steps and if possible a video demonstrating this issue?

I asked in the daily builds thread also, we really want to investigate this and find out what the problem is. But it's impossible for us to do so if we can't reproduce it.

Rowan
Send me your scene!

2021-02-09, 11:13:29
Reply #5

v.p.vlasenko

• Active Users
    • View Profile
1. max 2019 with latest updates
2. seems like it happens even without any plugins
3. 7980XE, 128GB, 1080Ti, Windows 10
4. Yes, all software, drivers are up to date

I'll check some scenes where that happens and send one of them.
Btw, I created minidump some time ago, if that will help. I'm not sure if 789Mb is normal size for it.

2021-02-09, 13:46:25
Reply #6

v.p.vlasenko

• Active Users
    • View Profile
file called "scene with max freeze.zip" uploaded to dropbox.

There is a mess with objects and materials, but sometimes I need to work on tight deadlines with models given by the client - in scenes created from scratch by me I didn't have max freezes.

I isolated 3 objects showcasing 3 problems I created topics for.

Try to change house model materials during IR to get freeze.
The landscape model uses corona distance and causing a serious slowdown.
And the pattern on sea displacement.

2021-02-09, 16:27:34
Reply #7

rowmanns

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
Hi,

Thank you very much for sending through the scene.

We will investigate and I will get back to you when I have some more information.

Thanks,

Rowan

(Report ID=CRMAX-258)
Send me your scene!

2021-02-09, 17:52:35
Reply #8

Bormax

• Active Users
    • View Profile
@Bormax

Please would you be able to send a scene + reproduction steps and if possible a video demonstrating this issue?

I asked in the daily builds thread also, we really want to investigate this and find out what the problem is. But it's impossible for us to do so if we can't reproduce it.

Rowan

Sorry, I was working intensively and didn't have time to get deeper in this, just switched back  to Corona 6. Then I found the objects which slowered MSE and hoped that this was the reason for hangings of Max 2021.3 with Corona 7 builds - I've reported and sent the file with those objects (https://forum.corona-renderer.com/index.php?topic=32252.0). But today I've installed latest DB and tried to work with some scenes which do not contain those problematic objects, unfortunately I still have the issues described above by v.p.vlasenko.
Please, let me know if the file sent by v.p.vlasenko will be not enough for your investigation, I'll send my example

2021-02-10, 09:38:07
Reply #9

rowmanns

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
Hi,

So I have managed to reproduce this issue with the scene. I have reported it to our dev team and I will ensure they look into it.

@Bormax if you have another scene it will be helpful so we can make sure this is fixed in multiple scenarios.

Cheers,

Rowan
Send me your scene!

2021-02-11, 10:08:52
Reply #10

Bormax

• Active Users
    • View Profile

@Bormax if you have another scene it will be helpful so we can make sure this is fixed in multiple scenarios.

Hi
Done with Dropbox. File name is NEW_apartment_2021-3.zip

2021-02-19, 00:52:55
Reply #11

hurrycat

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Hi,

just wanted to add that i am too experiencing the same problem. I have not yet found any kind of solution, i thought it got better after completely disabling windows defender + firewall, but the problem persists.
I am using 3ds max 2020 with Corona 6. The scene has ~60 million polygons and lots of textures. I am using Forest Pack and lots of proxies cached to RAM.

The problem is not the autosaving feature, and RAM usage can be ~60% and this still happens. 3ds Max becomes unresponsive for at least 5 minutes, and it can happen when ending IR mode or quite frequently when editing material notes, using the slate editor. I have noticed that when opening the file everything is snappy and after some time working it starts to appear.
Strange thing is CPU usage remains at ~100%, as if it is still rendering.

Unfortunately this means that when running long sessions and having to meet deadlines, you can literally be working for half the time, while the other half the program is just frozen.

On a side note, related to the program becoming a time bomb after days working on a new project, importing/merging files becomes a lottery, especially when Slate Material Editor is open, as it will often crash 3ds Max. This is probably a 3ds Max problem, and not on the Corona Side.

2021-07-07, 18:49:33
Reply #12

Ink Visual

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Hi Corona Team,
Is there any chance that this has been addressed for Corona 7 release?
The problem with max freezing for even couple minutes after stopping IR is definitely still there and we have to deal with it in most of our more complex scenes.
Many thanks.

2021-07-08, 14:23:30
Reply #13

maru

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
  • Marcin
    • View Profile
Hi Corona Team,
Is there any chance that this has been addressed for Corona 7 release?
The problem with max freezing for even couple minutes after stopping IR is definitely still there and we have to deal with it in most of our more complex scenes.
Many thanks.

Sorry, but we do not have updates yet. I will try to find out if maybe this was fixed along with some other issues. (this is not impossible!)

If you are experiencing this kind of issue, please:

1) Fill in this form (as the ticket number, you can enter this forum thread link):
https://forms.gle/eTd8D5maPGRES2XH9

2) Send us a problematic scene like this, archived with all assets. You can use this uploader and let me know which upload method you used and what was the file name:
https://corona-renderer.com/upload

Thank you in advance!
Marcin Miodek | chaos-corona.com
3D Support Team Lead - Corona | contact us

2021-12-03, 19:42:22
Reply #14

fmrpa

• Users
    • View Profile
Solved (at least for me)

Using Corona 7 hotfix1.

I've been having the same problem for a few days now, with different scenes.

I've tried everything.
Re-installed crown, re-installed max.
Eliminated missing plugins ...
Nothing.

I changed corona render with scanline. Reset corona render, IT WORKS! No more freezes.

The problem is that when I reset the lightmix and post settings disappear, but luckily this freeze does not happen with ipr.
So, first, I'm start  ipr and stop it. Save settings of post and lightmix setting, I do a reset, reopen the frame buffer and load the presets.