Author Topic: Pre emptive; move to hardware_ Discussion of Threadripper 2  (Read 1377 times)

2018-06-19, 23:35:44

Noah45

• Active Users
  • press *1
    • View Profile
32 CORES, all good for Corona WS? How does this get us closer to real time w/ Ai Denoiser?
Retail Illustrator  (for ever' 80's )
3DMax 2020/Corona Version: 6DB

2018-06-20, 16:55:18
Reply #1

Nejc Kilar

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
    • My personal website
Well as with all of the other CPUs... If it scores X amount of CB points you can pretty much extrapolate its rendering speed in Corona :) I especially like the base clock which is supposed to be at least 3.4 ghz if I am not mistaken. If that is indeed the base then than the all-core can be even higher and presumably with XFR2 super lightly threaded tasks will run at 4+ ghz.

Supposedly it is comprised of 4 x 8 core Ryzen CPUs connected with infinity fabric. If you do a very crude math operation by multiplying a Ryzen 1800 (similar speed and IPC) times 4 you can come up with a good Cinebench number of around 6000. The preliminary leaks show it score around 6000+ CB points.

If that is indeed the case then this is a behemoth of a workstation CPU. Great all-core speeds, amazing multi-threaded speed and all of that is in one package which makes it easier to cool and it consumes less power.

The downside of going the CCX route (multiple chips interconnected) is that certain tasks are going to be slower. Don't think thats a deal breaker because all the other gains are worth it. Supposedly the limitations are specific and apply only to certain less common workflows.

Given that AMD is disrupting the market with these I presume the prices are going to be lower than with comparative Intel parts. We'll see about that.

Previously this type of performance would cost an arm and a leg. It would appear that the market is moving forward super fast lately.

Nejc Kilar | chaos-corona.com
Educational Content Creator | contact us

2018-06-20, 20:40:55
Reply #2

Noah45

• Active Users
  • press *1
    • View Profile
It's good to hear that technically it should be an option that will work well for us Coronauts.

Looking like an August release, we see
Retail Illustrator  (for ever' 80's )
3DMax 2020/Corona Version: 6DB