Author Topic: Windows 10, Max 2015, Corona 1.4 (trial) Crashing  (Read 17886 times)

2016-06-11, 16:47:47
Reply #15

LUKEC3D

• Active Users
    • View Profile
I think that we are Intensive Corona Render users ; we render a year thousands of images from 10 to 100 hours each, scenes of hundreds of millions of polygons.
We have 16 computers I7 3930 K with 32 GB of RAM and 10 Dual Xeon super micro with 64 gb of ram which are replacing I7.
The combination 3dsmax 2014 Windows 7 and corona 1.3 never gave problems stability 'or crash.
We have a test comp where we install the new versions of the programs, and we noticed that we can not finish a render with max 2015 corona 1.4 and Windows 10.
I've already tested Gimps without problem

2016-06-11, 16:56:42
Reply #16

3dm.matthews

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • Behance Profile
thx again Luke for the heads up.

Autodesk claims it's a Windows 10 .NET 4.6 issue causing the problem (installing Max after Win10 is installed) Looks like I'm going to have to try a bunch of different steps to debug it.

2016-06-15, 00:16:35
Reply #17

Benny

• Active Users
    • View Profile
I have a similar issue with 1.4, minidump stating an exception c0000005 Access Violation (first/second chance not available) ntdll!NtGetContextThread+0x14

I'm still trying to figure out what causes it, but it is consistent when I'm saving the file after having used the Corona proxy converter on a file that originated in Vray with Forest Pack pro. If I don't save it will crash sooner or later.

Have any of you come any further?

2016-06-15, 14:58:19
Reply #18

3dm.matthews

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • Behance Profile
I have a similar issue with 1.4, minidump stating an exception c0000005 Access Violation (first/second chance not available) ntdll!NtGetContextThread+0x14

I'm still trying to figure out what causes it, but it is consistent when I'm saving the file after having used the Corona proxy converter on a file that originated in Vray with Forest Pack pro. If I don't save it will crash sooner or later.

That's the exact error I get! But I am not using any proxies, or VRay.

Corona Support has rendered the file with no issues. I do not know if they are using a 'new' install of Win10 or an 'upgrade'.

Are you on a 'new' install of Win10 or an 'upgrade'? And, if an 'upgrade', did you install Max before you upgraded, or after?

2016-06-15, 16:06:03
Reply #19

kumodot

• Active Users
  • Corona ADDICTED and Evangelist
    • View Profile
    • Kumodot

Ops. Another case. Of Crashes. I am experiencing a lot of crashes on my last 2 projects too. I can´t say it´s corona´s fault or sundenly my machine has a problem. I will follow the sugestions here to test everything...

The config is :
       I7 2700k - 32Gb - Windows 10 (too) - Corona 1.4 - Max 2016 Sp3
         Sometimes the render goes ok, sometimes it start the parsing, and when building Acc structure, i got 30%-60% of the Ram used and Receive a windows Alert saying "Memory Low". Sometimes i don´t even receive the Alert, the screen Goes Black, and the machine Locks. And sometime, it Locks and... Boot itself... :(

I will try the Prime95 suggestion.
Your Portuguese is worse than my english.
--------------------------------------------
3DGeneralist/Vfx Supervisor

2016-06-15, 18:18:08
Reply #20

LUKEC3D

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Windows 10 is an upgrade.

3DsMax is installed after 2/3 month about.

But until now i used "old" 1.3 corona scene to test, soon i test new scene, with new material, light, and so on...

2016-06-17, 06:58:53
Reply #21

Benny

• Active Users
    • View Profile

That's the exact error I get! But I am not using any proxies, or VRay.

Corona Support has rendered the file with no issues. I do not know if they are using a 'new' install of Win10 or an 'upgrade'.

Are you on a 'new' install of Win10 or an 'upgrade'? And, if an 'upgrade', did you install Max before you upgraded, or after?

I have such short memory for stuff like this, but I'm pretty sure it was a fresh install. There was some reason why I didn't qualify for that free Win 10 upgrade if I'm not entirely mistaken.

Interesting you have the exact same error but no Forest Pack and no Vray. I'm no programmer but I assume that means that error code is very general.

All I can say for sure is that the scene seems fine and that I can save it normally, if I convert it with the Vray converter it saves normally, but after I've run the proxy conversion part of the script Max crashes on save. Deadclown explained in another scene that if Max crashes it can't be the script, it has to be Corona. Again, not a programmer, but it certainly seems as if that script creates some sort of condition that offends Corona but it won't notice it until it is saving the file. Perhaps you create a similar condition somehow.

My machine does not crash, only Max.

2016-06-17, 16:47:54
Reply #22

LUKEC3D

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Hi guys,

i try to start with empty scene, and all works good.

Very Simple, Simple and medium scene , and i've no problem.

1000 pass, denoise, real time render, normal shaders, standard camera.

In next days i open old ( 1.3 ) scene and retry..

2016-06-17, 19:26:35
Reply #23

kumodot

• Active Users
  • Corona ADDICTED and Evangelist
    • View Profile
    • Kumodot
I am starting to that my problem hasn´t relation to Corona 1.4... OR it´s some deadly combination from hell...

I got the same project i can´t render a single frame here without having memory problems and it renders totally ok on Rebus Farm... I´ve sent it to a friend and it rendered ok too...

I don´t know what to test more.... Tried the windows file testing...Files seems ok...

I even reinstalled Max 2016 and reinstaled it with Sp3 and Ext1... Same problem. Maybe my Windows10 is doomed. I will start to uninstall other programs and start a try and error test.. ;)

Your Portuguese is worse than my english.
--------------------------------------------
3DGeneralist/Vfx Supervisor

2016-06-17, 21:37:14
Reply #24

arqrenderz

• Active Users
  • https://www.behance.net/Arqrenderz1
    • View Profile
    • arqrenderz
We have win 10 and 1in 7 machines at the office, corona 1.3 and 1.4 projects, no issue here on max 2016 last service pack.

2016-06-18, 03:51:24
Reply #25

Benny

• Active Users
    • View Profile
I noticed I had some waiting Windows service updates that needed to be installed, will try the same thing shortly. Apparently one of them updates .NET something which I feel often seems to be the culprit.

EDIT: Happy to say that after the Windows 10 update I no longer seems to have the problem so make sure you are using the latest Windows update.
« Last Edit: 2016-06-20, 06:42:15 by Benny »

2016-06-22, 04:32:02
Reply #26

3dm.matthews

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • Behance Profile
I noticed I had some waiting Windows service updates that needed to be installed, will try the same thing shortly. Apparently one of them updates .NET something which I feel often seems to be the culprit.

EDIT: Happy to say that after the Windows 10 update I no longer seems to have the problem so make sure you are using the latest Windows update.

I have my Win set to auto-update, which KB# is the one regarding .NET I'm not showing one.

Thanks for all the help and feedback guys, it's greatly appreciated!

EDIT: I just tried my scene again, crashed in under a minute. :(
« Last Edit: 2016-06-22, 04:45:39 by 3dm.matthews »

2016-07-02, 18:55:22
Reply #27

3dm.matthews

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • Behance Profile
May have figured out my problem!

It may be tied to my video card after all. After reading many internet posts regarding Win10 and Max, I switched away from DirectX and tried the Legacy OpenGL.  It rendered for 5 min with no crashing. My CPU did warm up quite a bit, so I'm going to put some new heatsink compound on it (it's been a few years).

I'll keep you up-to-date on progress.

EDIT: Yup, just rendered a 4000x4000 image with displacement for 30 minutes. 100% of 16GB RAM used, still working. Guess it's a new video card time, and more RAM ;)
« Last Edit: 2016-07-02, 19:59:35 by 3dm.matthews »

2016-07-06, 17:52:41
Reply #28

3dm.matthews

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • Behance Profile
UPDATE:

Unfortunately all my errors are still occurring, just not as quick. However, I now have a new error that does specify a .NET issue.

My theory is Win10 and Max (installed onto 10, no upgraded)

2016-07-14, 11:47:05
Reply #29

3dm.matthews

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • Behance Profile
The most recent update from Microsoft for Win10 had some effect on my crashing. Corona seems to now be the portion crashing/failing, as I'm no longer receiving a Max dump. I get two errors: one related to a missing drive which is weird, because I've never had any other drives, and the files I'm using are original creations with only items from my own computer; the second is a .NET error of some kind (which I'm not surprised about with Win10 4.6 .NET)

But what happens is, I get the errors (repeatedly, about 16 times) then that's all. I can still use Max, save my files etc. I can not however save the rendered image through the Corona VB, I can transfer it to the Max VB and save it from there.

Either way, I see this as progress.