Author Topic: Direct max passes Indirect Max Passes is Possible?  (Read 5876 times)

2016-03-14, 06:49:14

Tiago4D

• Active Users
  • Be Happy!
    • View Profile
    • Lumo Studio Arch & Design
Is possible and UPDATE (atualization) of corona with this options?:

Direct max passes

Indirect Max Passes

I think that if is possible
will help much
« Last Edit: 2016-03-14, 15:02:37 by Tiago4D »
Learning...

2016-03-14, 09:32:57
Reply #1

FrostKiwi

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • YouTube
You mean limiting Direct and Inderect passes, like stop rendering when both max passes are reached?

This is already built in.
It does not make sense to divide ray casting into passes. There is the LSM for that. It gives you a multiplier on how much direct lighting is being sampled. So it is already max limited by the passes.
Same goes for indirect lighting. GI rays are bing controlled by the AAvsGI multiplier.
You can set both these values manually. If you want more GI sampling, but less antialiasing, you set AAvsGI higher. If you want more Direct lighting passes to compensate you can increase that aswell.
Rendering stops, once the max passes are reached. How much sampling is being done up to that point, is determined by those values.
If this is too unclear, read up here: https://coronarenderer.freshdesk.com/support/solutions/articles/5000518064-how-many-passes-is-enough-

Also "actualization" is not the correct word here. I see where you come from, a german would understand what you try say, that's what we call here "Denglish" :D
Correct word is "update".
I'm 🐥 not 🥝, pls don't eat me ( ;  ;   )

2016-03-14, 12:18:04
Reply #2

maru

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
  • Marcin
    • View Profile
I don't think this is possible, nor would make sense.
But if you can further explain why you would need such option, then maybe I could help you find a better way to solve it.
Marcin Miodek | chaos-corona.com
3D Support Team Lead - Corona | contact us

2016-03-14, 15:36:24
Reply #3

Tiago4D

• Active Users
  • Be Happy!
    • View Profile
I think that during the rendering if would be possible to stop the direct calculation in the middle of rendering.
often I see the passes of direct light clean already several passes if it would be possible tell the corona,
"Look corona at the 4 passes stop the direct calculation of and only calculate the indirect. "
and progressive way the calculations of indirect continue - for example
Learning...

2016-03-14, 17:34:48
Reply #4

Tiago4D

• Active Users
  • Be Happy!
    • View Profile
I know this is not currently possible
My question is whether it is possible an update
with this option if it would be viable
and if this improve the render time

ps:obviously I´m not a developer.
Learning...

2016-03-14, 17:41:09
Reply #5

PROH

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Well, if you set GI vs AA to 16 (default) and set LSM to 0,25, then you will have 4 direct and 16 indirect.

But I guess that's not what you want?

2016-03-14, 18:49:32
Reply #6

Ondra

• Administrator
  • Active Users
  • Turning coffee to features since 2009
    • View Profile
no, it is not possible to implement (and it would not make sense to do - light samples multiplier does exactly what you want)
Rendering is magic.How to get minidumps for crashed/frozen 3ds Max | Sorry for short replies, brief responses = more time to develop Corona ;)

2016-03-18, 17:34:04
Reply #7

juang3d

• Active Users
    • View Profile
I think what he is asking in the end is adaptivity, since if there is a part of the picture that is already clean this part will not take cpu time, while the rest of the still noisy image will be cleaned up until the desired level.

It's just he understand this as direct/indired because visually, the direct light effect (like a lamp or a sun entering through a windows) is alwasy clean before the rest of the picture, and that is why he understand this as direct/indirect, but I think it's more of a clean/unclean :)

Just what I understood from his description, and if that is what you are asking then... adaptivity is coming... to release soon! hehe

Cheers.

2016-03-18, 17:46:16
Reply #8

maru

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
  • Marcin
    • View Profile
I think what he is asking in the end is adaptivity, since if there is a part of the picture that is already clean this part will not take cpu time, while the rest of the still noisy image will be cleaned up until the desired level.
I think what he meant was the possibility to stop direct/indirect calculation only. So that you could for example tell Corona to stop direct calculations after 1 pass, and continue with GI only. But I don't think this is technically possible due to pixel weights, and possibly some other stuff. And, as Ondra wrote, you have LSM for this.

It's just he understand this as direct/indired because visually, the direct light effect (like a lamp or a sun entering through a windows) is alwasy clean before the rest of the picture
Definitely not always. :)
Marcin Miodek | chaos-corona.com
3D Support Team Lead - Corona | contact us

2016-03-19, 13:39:05
Reply #9

juang3d

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Disagree, I think it's just a missunderstanding of how noise works and what causes noise, that's why he wants to stop direct calculation, but it's not because he wants direct/indirect, he is just thinking on how the render and the clean up proccess can be faster, and he is giving an idea, the thing is that this idea is based on a wrong paradigm about noise.

And regarding the "always"... you are right, not always, but it's the feeling you get the first times you work with this kind of render engines, and it's the idea you get when you prepare a simple scene, so this drives unexperienced people with this engines to think that direct light is always clean meanwhile indirect is the reason of noise.
Of course it's not, but it's something people find difficult to understand, that is why there is a need to explain the "where the noise com from" matter, so people understand that it's not just light entering from the window, but there may be many other reasons.

So, of course not always, but if you simplify it is what people in general thinks until they understand how this work. (at least is my feeling about how newbies understand this).

So I still think he is referring to adaptivity without knowing it BUT the only person who knows this for sure is Tiago, so please Tiago clarify this (just out of curiosity hahaha)

Cheers.

2016-03-19, 16:45:54
Reply #10

romullus

• Global Moderator
  • Active Users
  • Let's move this topic, shall we?
    • View Profile
    • My Models
What is this, a game "guess what's on OP's mind?"?! o_O
I'm not Corona Team member. Everything i say, is my personal opinion only.
My Models | My Videos | My Pictures

2016-03-19, 22:00:28
Reply #11

juang3d

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Yeah... Some like that hehehe